Gendered Pejoratives [NSFW]

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #340288 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Gendered Pejoratives [NSFW]

Ren, I did preface this discussion asking you to ignore this if you're not going to respond maturely.

No, you did not.

If you didn't like my reply, you could have ignored it, instead of branding my reponse "not mature". Nothing I said is false or exaggerated. It appears you are not interested in learning the origins of vulgarity, and are interested in yet another women vs men thread. Give us a shout when you want to discuss ideas not personalities.

This thread breaches totjo's rules and your personal attack does not help. I eagerly await an explanation as to what was not mature enough for your taste.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by ren.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 9 months ago #340289 by Rex
Replied by Rex on topic Gendered Pejoratives [NSFW]
I did. Look at the OP

I very purposely included that short disclaimer and set of instructions because I wanted to have mature discussion. I do talk about vulgarity but your flippant comments don't. If it was a guest or a novice, I would've ignored it, but I expect better of you. Your combative and needlessly coarse language in your post aren't conducive to mature discussion.

Knights Secretary's Secretary
Apprentices: Vandrar
TM: Carlos Martinez
"A serious and good philosophical work could be written consisting entirely of jokes" - Wittgenstein
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3

More
4 years 9 months ago #340291 by Rosalyn J

Attachment Screenshot_2019-07-06-14-22-39.png not found

This is interesting

Pax Per Ministerium
[img

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: ren, Rex

More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #340293 by JamesSand
You've got two choices here, as I see it - Continue on with the initial purpose of the thread, regardless of interruption, or have this spiral into another of TotJOs famous battle of [strike]wits[/strike] semantics for a week until someone complains or a Mod gets twitchy enough to close it.

Neither is necessarily more correct, or "Jedi" or preferred in some barely defined and intangibly linked to the doctrine way - that's just more or less the way I see it can go.

And honestly, with you lot, the second one is like cancer - it's going to happen eventually, you just gotta hope the thread dies of something else before it gets too big....

Cancer is another funny one isn't it? Everybody has got dead people, but talk of cancer sometimes makes us feel uncomfortable. More so than talk of road accidents or pneumonia, but, we are quite happy to use it as an adjective (I think it might have been replaced by "toxic" for but a long while, people unhelpful to an organisation were "cancer".)

When someone is fastidious and irritating to our lives, we call them "as fun as cancer".

I don't really have a theory as to whether there is a link or relevance here, but it is in the ballpark of things that are taboo, potentially vulgar, as used arguably incorrectly in the literal sense to explain or enhance the meaning of something else.

Edit: Ros's bit - I (possibly incorrectly) assumed that everyone knew the etymology of the word Vulgar itself, but much like anything else - the history is merely interesting, the more "contemporary" meaning of "gross, unpleasant, and lacking sophistication" is arguably more useful for the purposes of communication.

From memory, the origin of Vagina is Scabbard, but saying "I'm going to put my meat sword in your scabbard" doesn't make me sound like an enlightened history buff.
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by JamesSand.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rex

More
4 years 9 months ago #340303 by Rex
Replied by Rex on topic Gendered Pejoratives [NSFW]
I mean a lot of insults came from a descriptive term. Vulgar meant having to do with the hoi polloi and the progression to it meaning uncouth is pretty straightforward.
The divergence in the paths of dick and cunt (in American English) still bugs me. Is dick going to become a stronger term? Is cunt going to be reappropriated? Will there always be a pejorative set of words to describe genitalia (as opposed to a common and/or clinical one)?

Knights Secretary's Secretary
Apprentices: Vandrar
TM: Carlos Martinez
"A serious and good philosophical work could be written consisting entirely of jokes" - Wittgenstein

More
4 years 9 months ago #340304 by Carlos.Martinez3
I cut them altogether out of my own vocabulary but that’s me

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

More
4 years 9 months ago #340310 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Gendered Pejoratives [NSFW]
I don't think many people are actually insulted by the term, but some indeed are so that is cause enough for some folk to show restraint, refinement or indeed professionalism depending on the circumstance. Perhaps so Jedi if considering the Doctrine.

I also imagine even less that the 'c' term is used in any anatomical reference.... and with 'd' it's common only informally AFAIK. I'd suggest the difference in that is because the d word has little to no negative connetations of any weight so found to be acceptable slang for the organ, and that the metaphorical usage of it is like the metaphorical usage of c totally loaded only by that which the culture brings with it. As such the c word is in many places burdened with suffering and so not generally commonly used in its non-metaphorical anatomical potential.

Metaphors be with you.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #340313 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Gendered Pejoratives [NSFW]

This question is about the language of words that aren't exactly used in polite company so if you're offended by a clinical discussion of such nature or are not mature enough to participate in this, please just skip this thread

I very purposely included that short disclaimer and set of instructions because I wanted to have mature discussion. I do talk about vulgarity but your flippant comments don't. If it was a guest or a novice, I would've ignored it, but I expect better of you. Your combative and needlessly coarse language in your post aren't conducive to mature discussion.

I am mature enough to discuss words I hear every day. As you must have figured out by now, those words do not upset me.

You appear upset. Why? Is it because the words upset you, or do you only want them discussed in a way you like? Did you read your own disclaimer?

I mean a lot of insults came from a descriptive term. Vulgar meant having to do with the hoi polloi and the progression to it meaning uncouth is pretty straightforward.
The divergence in the paths of dick and cunt (in American English) still bugs me. Is dick going to become a stronger term? Is cunt going to be reappropriated? Will there always be a pejorative set of words to describe genitalia (as opposed to a common and/or clinical one)?

I take it you made exactly 0 effort to read my post.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by ren.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi