Is society outrageous or is society just outraged?

More
4 years 9 months ago #340072 by Kobos

ZealotX wrote: when the victims of a mass shooting have to move several times because of death threats, that is also outrageous.

I agree. I believe this is a product of technology and the current way it is used in our current social climate.

anger, hate, and fear tend to naturally feed off each other and have their own gravitational pull.
Yep

You see 2 sides getting more and more upset by the other until someone snaps.

Here, I disagree to a point. In the current form of discourse on any sensitive subject or issue, in general the interpretation of events is almost always skewed to make victims of almost everyone for every reason. Keep in mind, that this victimization can be legitimate, which there are numerous cases of. However, the distortion of words to fit the illegitimate cases is cause for concern. Are the "2 sides" of a discourse then actually a product of victimization? If one assumes a slight they will tend to respond in kind. Therefore, when each is slighted they respond in kind and the victim cycle repeats. This sadly then draws away from the issue at hand. Meaning, do we literally focus so much on the slights which are either accidental, minor, or just rude (not malicious)? There are legal ramifications for the legitamate cases and they should always be prosecuted according to due process. Now, people have always been going around snapping, there were not as many people to be reported on in the past and you were only likely to hear of local or regional individuals even as recently as the early 2000's. This up tick seems to coincide with people connecting more to each other. So, then is it that as discourse has degraded to the point that this is it's end product? Or is it that we simply know more now? Could it also be said that people react emotionally to the discovery of new facts? Then causing more people to be affected by their actions via the technological connection we now share?

We live in an age where foreign terrorists are being replaced by domestic terrorists and we're killing each other over disagreements.

Yes, we are, I think this ties in well with what Omhu said earlier. How is this happening? How do we stop it?

I wonder... if people's "fear of God" hasn't been replaced by nurturing a love for humanity and that's why people do so many outrageous things. I never liked the idea of being afraid what God would do to you if you did wrong. But in the absence of that fear what is it replaced with? What we're showing each other, what we're putting into the environment, eventually changes the environment that we'll all have to adapt to. And then what? Not only do we all lock our doors but do we all need guns? Where does it end?

People have always carried weapons to protect themselves from other people. Sadly there are just bad people out there. Do we have too many guns or do we have to many A-holes with guns? I would ask you this has the "fear of God" been replaced with fear of "peers"? Does judgement from others whom hold the same opinions as you (for the most part) and the personal/emotional need for affirmation cause the cycle I highlighted above? Does constant bombardment of information and ideas play into this? When then does censorship?

Just some thoughts.

Much Love, Respect and Peace,
Kobos

What has to come ? Will my heart grow numb ?
How will I save the world ? By using my mind like a gun
Seems a better weapon, 'cause everybody got heat
I know I carry mine, since the last time I got beat
MF DOOM Books of War

Training Masters: Carlos.Martinez3 and JLSpinner
TB:Nakis
Knight of the Conclave

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 9 months ago #340073 by
I'm reading a book right now from a Swedish PhD called Factfulness that in some ways goes to the heart of this question.

(Highly recommend it to the community here)

Anyway, I'm of the belief that people are still pretty much the same as they were 50 years ago when it comes to being outraged about "stuff" - what's new is the platform they are able to voice their outrage on.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi