How is rank about academics and not just a popularity contest?

More
4 years 10 months ago #338109 by Ben

Carlos.Martinez3 wrote: ^^ that
Rank is a trust in our Order
Not a contest.

I guess a big part of the question of trust is "do we trust this person to teach others on behalf of the Temple?"

With Knighthood comes the ability to teach freely. It surely doesn't make sense for the Temple to allow people to ascend to a teaching position if their principles and behaviour are significantly out of sync with the Temple's doctrine and ethos - regardless of how much academic study they have completed. I would posit that this Temple has historically been quite good at affording a good amount of leeway on this - we've seen some wildly different opinions and approaches on all sorts of things over the years from the Knights Corp. Yet still, surely there must be allowed to be a certain level of difference that is just a step too far...

Can anyone think of a way to determine such suitability other than by vote? Must a vote always be considered a popularity contest? One hopes that Jedi councillors or Jedi Knights are not basing their vote on whether or not they like someone, but on whether that person exhibits the behaviour set out by the Temple as being befitting of a Jedi.

B.Div | OCP
The following user(s) said Thank You: RyuJin, Manu, Zenchi, Carlos.Martinez3

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #338114 by

Carlos.Martinez3 wrote: There IS a standard. We try our best to maintain it. Not all will make that - “standard.” Not every one who calls them self Jedi is knightly. Flat out. It’s not a popularity thing more than a representative type of thing.

Our Order and Knights stand a bit higher

There is a standard... but only, ACCORDING TO THIS TEMPLE. This is not a universal standard however and so to say that every Jedi is not capable of Knightly behaviour must be qualified with "in your opinion". So in this case it is very much a popularity contest. One that is won or lost by the opinion of others here in power. In this regard, YOUR order is not a standard higher than others, just different. This is where the degree scheme comes in. One who pursues the degree but also has a different idea of the principles you set forth here in Knighthood has the credential to teach others under different circumstances at different places. They may not be able to teach here because they are not Knights here but that does not discount their own interpretation of Knightliness and it does not impede their ability to teach that version to others under different umbrellas.
Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by .

More
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #338115 by Carlos.Martinez3

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

Carlos.Martinez3 wrote: There IS a standard. We try our best to maintain it. Not all will make that - “standard.” Not every one who calls them self Jedi is knightly. Flat out. It’s not a popularity thing more than a representative type of thing.

Our Order and Knights stand a bit higher

There is a standard... but only, ACCORDING TO THIS TEMPLE. This is not a universal standard however and so to say that every Jedi is not capable of Knightly behaviour must be qualified with "in your opinion". So in this case it is very much a popularity contest. One that is won or lost by the opinion of others here in power. In this regard, YOUR order is not a standard higher than others, just different. This is where the degree scheme comes in. One who pursues the degree but also has a different idea of the principles you set forth here in Knighthood has the credential to teach others under different circumstances at different places. They may not be able to teach here because they are not Knights here but that does not discount their own interpretation of Knightliness and it does not impede their ability to teach that version to others under different umbrellas.

I hate to state the obvious but yes - and it’s up to the TEMPLE to decide who we trust. It’s our Order. So - your right - if you wanna join - if you want our honorary degrees and titles - then yea - as the granting Order - yea we got rules. We have been the faithful site to diligently do our paperwork and our organization to a point where we can. Heck - if this lot can any one can. Yet ... they have not or they choose not to or they don’t know how. Our ranks are subject to our rules. I’m not being a dictator about this it’s just pretty obvious... isn’t it ? Even with our rules and by laws it’s still way loose to interpretation of to the individual. Go and create a honorary degree scheme at your Own Temple and or Temples churches originations and such and see how much work it actually takes. Create by laws and file for a church status get a tax Id and all that comes with it and see if it’s as easy as some think it is. It isn’t. As the responsible Order who grants these - yea we are responsible for the rules .

Edit : I know plenty of people who are not ONLY in with just one organization in the Jedi community. Not a big deal but a blessing some days when they share and chat. Want a diffrent umbrella and a different set of rules - seek them out. You will find them - promise. They are available as much as we are. Just point and - click.

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by Carlos.Martinez3.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Neaj Pa Bol

• Neaj Pa Bol
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • Faith is daring the soul to go beyond what the eyes can see...
More
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #338116 by Neaj Pa Bol
Ironic as it is with everything being said here, IMHO, the brass tax comes down to judgement disagreed with in TOTJO’s decision on their plans of doing things. Force Academy has their way, TOTJO has theirs, other Jedi communities have their ways.

Yes, some call it standards, but every idea and thought on how to do something has to have a baseline to choose it’s directions. Not everyone agrees with it in their way of wanting to do something, that’s where the freedom to search for a path that fits in someway to each persons search comes into view. If it’s not what they feel is for them at one place or another, their search continues on, or some create their own as Kyrin has, like many others.

One has the choice of also utilizing bits and pieces from search to follow their path. If our created program isn’t what one wants no one is twisting anyone’s arm to say stay, or hopefully no one has ever, that’s not our way.

So, if it’s not what fits in one persons life, find where you should be and go there.

RyuJin laid it out, Rank is more of an issue rather than the teachings. It has its basis for some reasons, others based on other decisions. But really, studying a program, if you feel is what you want to do rather than for the sake of Rank, you’re doing a disservice to not only yourself but to others who really want to study without all the crap being tangled up in it, if it’s based on Rank. If you go to a trade school, Community College or University, if the program you want is doing what’s needed to teach is what you feel is what you seek you do so, if not you have the choice to change in order to seek that which you are searching for!

Rank should be the lesser of choice.

Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn. Benjamin Franklin

Let the improvement of yourself keep you so busy that you have no time to criticize others. Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart

Participated in the making of the book, “The Jedi Compass”with 2 articles.

For today I serve so that tomorrow I may serve again. One step, One Vow, One Moment... Too always remember it is not about me... Master Neaj Pa Bol

Faith is daring the soul to go beyond what the eyes can see...

Faith is a journey, not a guilt trip...

Quiet your emotions to find inner peace. Learn from ignorance to foster knowledge.
Enjoy your passions but be immersed in serenity. Understand the chaos to see the harmony.
Life and death is to be one with the Force.

Apprentice's: Master Zanthan Storm, Jaxxy (Master Rachat et Espoir (Bridgette Barker))
Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by Neaj Pa Bol.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RyuJin, Carlos.Martinez3

More
4 years 10 months ago #338117 by Manu
I believe the 'root' issue behind this whole rank thing that keep popping up time and time again, is the perceived gaslighting that is born from constantly being told to "fall in line" and "Jedi up", followed by the same people calling for such standards (or behaviors, or values, if you please), behaving differently.

Anyone can accept the idea that even real life Jedi masters are fallible. What becomes hard to swallow are masters that treat you like a child, then behave like children themselves.

Of course, this is all a matter of perception, and as Proteus said, the cooler, (wiser?) ones are usually the quieter ones as well.

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 10 months ago #338119 by
Being quieter and then calling those that are quieter as also being wiser only serves to prop the self ego up.

What it boils down to is there is really no such thing as a "jedi standard" or baseline. They dont exist except in movies and only then after a lifetime of abusive practices and cult like indoctrination as well as the most intense training. The sort of true dedication needed to achieve anything remotely similar on this planet is something I have never seen in any individual that haunts these halls. They best any of us can truly say is that we play at being Jedi. And because of that we each get to decide for ourselves what that means.

More
4 years 10 months ago #338120 by Eleven
Well, we've talked about all the issues we have with this pros and cons. I guess, to answer a question with a question there is an obvious issue here and albeit we probably won't be able to make everyone happy regardless but, what should we do? How can we make this better for the good of the order? Should we call a council and knights meeting? Maybe a restructuring of the IP maybe one of us could reach out to a college? Just some thoughts. :)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Tl1zqH4lsSmKOyCLU9sdOSAUig7Q38QW4okOwSz2V4c/edit

More
4 years 10 months ago #338122 by Manu

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: Being quieter and then calling those that are quieter as also being wiser only serves to prop the self ego up.

Possibly, haha. It's quite debatable though. Perhaps some people just prioritize their participation here differently.

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: What it boils down to is there is really no such thing as a "jedi standard" or baseline. They dont exist except in movies and only then after a lifetime of abusive practices and cult like indoctrination as well as the most intense training. The sort of true dedication needed to achieve anything remotely similar on this planet is something I have never seen in any individual that haunts these halls. They best any of us can truly say is that we play at being Jedi. And because of that we each get to decide for ourselves what that means.

You say that like it's a bad thing. :lol:

Of course we are playing! But does the game actually inspire us to be better, happier, and echo that "goodness" into our worlds? If it does, then play on.

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
4 years 10 months ago #338124 by Carlos.Martinez3
@ Kyrin
Funny - but find one person here who would agree with you about Totjo s standard being any type of higher or better standard in the Jedi community. I don’t think that actually exist... any one? What any one will say is it is OUR standard... never ever will anyone say OURS is the only or the best. No one. Only you I think. Think about it for a bit...

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 10 months ago #338125 by

Carlos.Martinez3 wrote: Not every one who calls them self Jedi is knightly. Flat out. Our Order and Knights stand a bit higher -

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi