How is rank about academics and not just a popularity contest?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 10 months ago #337972 by
I ask you this? How is rank actually about academics in the courses of study here instead of simply a popularity contest? If you achieve the academics are you guaranteed the rank as in a traditional university? Or are you still subject to the scrutiny of a specific clique of individuals that were not elected, but appointed, to decide your value in a rank?

I have recently come to some epiphanies in this ranking structure. I have seen knight after knight melt down and either be excommunicated, rage quit or outright banned while the "quieter" jedi, with no rank, continue on over time, being a voice of reason and wisdom time and time again. These people I refer to have been my greatest sources of inspiration, steadfast perseverance and wisdom, while these so called knights have faltered and destroyed themselves over and over. Power corrupts... So I want to ask, who are the true Jedi here?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #337974 by
You need to get out more and forget your silly nilly problems. I was feeling a little sad last night but I went out and got a great big one. Then I had a drink and I felt better.

In my profession nobody asks about a degree and they don't care where or if I went to school. But many of my customers have degrees. Many have advanced degrees. Completing the academics gets you a degree but it does not necessarily get you a job or a position (rank) at the place you got the degree from.
Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #337975 by
I don't know if you were looking for any specific kind of person--or someone with more authority--to answer these questions, but since we're in Open Discussion, I'll submit my thoughts on the topic, as well as try and provide some assemblage of answers.

... are you still subject to the scrutiny of a specific clique of individuals that were not elected, but appointed, to decide your value in a rank?

I don't think TotJO is similar to a university. My college experience was focused a lot more on checking boxes than on genuinely learning the material and developing earnest study. One has to reach a specific minimum of hours and chooses from a small selection of classes. You're often graded according to generic benchmarks and you've got to have paid a specific amount to be considered for graduation.

At TotJO, there are a few minimum timetables to be met--like the minimum 60 days a novice must study--but they are few and far between. There is a lesson plan to follow, but each Jedi is encouraged to study secondary materials and embark on their own extra-education. There also isn't a strict, technical grading system here, it seems to be based on judging whether or not you were able to grasp the materials and whether or not you have truly connected with what it means to be a Jedi. I know that is extremely subjective--you can't avoid that--so, yes, there seems to be a certain amount of human-council-scrutiny when it comes to assigning value to your study efforts. I know that can be annoying, but if you ask me, its better than establishing a strict criteria.

From time to time we may have to deal with faulty leadership, but there are a few aspects of this system which provide hope for me, as they may for you. Firstly, the council can only deny a reasonable person who has met the basic requirements for promotion for so long before either that person realizes there is no true value in seeking the rank and approval of this group of fallible people, or the rest of the people of the temple notice cliquish behavior and speak out. Second, in the end, you will become a Jedi, or you will not. You do not need the TotJO to do that. I advise that you view TotJO simply as a community which establishes a base for you to work from and through which you can share your views and occasionally encounter support and encouragement for your study. That is how I view it, and it keeps me from worrying or thinking too much about the rank, social and political structure within the temple.

Power corrupts... So I want to ask, who are the true Jedi here?

Every answer you'll get to this question is filtered through a self (including mine, duh), so keep that in mind. I think the "true" Jedi here are the ones who do their best to adhere to the following...

Code:
They are an instrument of peace; Where there is hatred they shall bring love; Where there is injury, pardon; Where there is doubt, faith; Where there is despair, hope; Where there is darkness, light; And where there is sadness, joy. They shall never seek so much to be consoled as to console; To be understood as to understand; To be loved as to love; For it is in giving that they receive; It is in pardoning that they are pardoned; And it is in dying that they are born to eternal life.

Only you can decide for yourself what each of those things mean.

I hope this answer has been helpful.
Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by . Reason: grammar

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 10 months ago #337978 by

Jabba The Slut wrote: You need to get out more and forget your silly nilly problems. I was feeling a little sad last night but I went out and got a great big one. Then I had a drink and I felt better.

In my profession nobody asks about a degree and they don't care where or if I went to school. But many of my customers have degrees. Many have advanced degrees. Completing the academics gets you a degree but it does not necessarily get you a job or a position (rank) at the place you got the degree from.

Your such a slut.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 10 months ago #337982 by

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

Jabba The Slut wrote: You need to get out more and forget your silly nilly problems. I was feeling a little sad last night but I went out and got a great big one. Then I had a drink and I felt better.

Your such a slut.

True. Not for less than $500 (plus sales and use tax) though. Stay moist dear.

More
4 years 10 months ago #337983 by Carlos.Martinez3
TotJO is a place for spiritual enlightenment, self discovery and discussion of many varied and wide ranging topics.
Post what you think is acceptable for an 8 year old to read (be it your own child or another) as this is in fact a family, and public, forum after all. If in doubt, leave it out.

Please note also that swearing is not the only way to offend. One can be just as demeaning and derogatory without resorting to swear words. These cases are as equally inappropriate and are covered under the same regulation on the forum.
This is located in the rules of the web site. Please and thank you

All parties involved- thank you

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You: Locksley

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 10 months ago #337985 by

Jabba The Slut wrote:
True. Not for less than $500 (plus sales and use tax) though. Stay moist dear.

Indecent proposal. I mean use tax? Is that not implied in the contract? And for sales tax, well good luck actually collecting that for an illegitimate business venture. Not to say your efforts are not worthy but tax collectable?? Well I hardly think so! Lmao

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 10 months ago #337986 by
Yeah its my first day here , is this representative of the level of discussion here ?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 10 months ago #337987 by

Lumella wrote: Yeah its my first day here , is this representative of the level of discussion here ?

Short Answer: No, not really, but that can depend entirely on the people you tend to engage.

Longer Answer: Sometimes people come into a discussion, like any discussion, and decide to bring some levity, or just plain don't take it seriously and want to show that. In turn, some people respond in kind, and so on. There's not much in the way of realistic or ethical means to control how others interact, at the end of the day, and sometimes we just have to look at the larger group to see what the larger trends are. Failing that, you can always just approach a "Do Not Like" situation with the question: "Who does it hurt?" If you don't approve a given individuals' behavior, here, you can always report it if they're actually breaking rules, or, if you simply find them obnoxious, well, than just don't engage.

It's also important to keep in mind that we not only have rules, here, but people that work towards enforcing them or otherwise seeing that they are followed.

Definitely have a browse around the forums, I think you'll see the conversations outside of decidely silly ones are more numerous, as well as more serious.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 10 months ago #337988 by
Sure , i can always ignore stupid convo , good advice :unsure:

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi