Voices from the past

More
4 years 11 months ago #337797 by Carlos.Martinez3
I grew up - not the best child in the block. I don’t ever say this to say “I’m a bad boy and worst that you and such but simply for context.” As I grew up- I had many - many people try and give me good sound advice to which I simply ignored or just made fun of them. As I grew older - I stayed on my own path and tried to make my own way. Now - at this time in my life I feel I wish I could pen or video or even audio tape a lot of the things I was given at the age I didn’t pay any attention to. For the most part, I do what I can but I know and have to accept I have lost a lot of good things due to my own - objection.
That makes me think about my Jedi path as well.
As I learn and grow and seek, it is my hope to be the influence I needed to others. This is a common idea I know a few of us have and share. The thing is this - in this equation, I have found that people like my grandma gave me her all. These faithful group of people are influencing me in ways they will never see or know. Some times we may never see the fruit of our faith or even meet it with objection or ignorance ( I have given a lot of that) or even just flat out no and laughs. It may be that the change we hope in others will result in a much longer period of faithfulness than we can see. So I put it to you Jedi - do you add in your account the fact that for some folk - some people and hearts - you may be a help or a guide or a better influence - long after your gone. For those teachers and parents and family members - this is a hard and bitter pill to take.
Some of us Jedi will only glow blue for others after - we are no longer with them. Some teachers speak from the past. Some examples come from places that don’t even exist any more. Can we as modern day Jeddist understand this and realize - yea we are Jedi and yes we swear oaths to defend and serve but - for some it may not be right now. Do we know the difference? Can we? For some - we CAN be faithful enough to last the span of time? Do we speak and care enough to last was past our own selfs? Do we quit when we realize this or ... do we choose to glow now? I look forward to hearing from every one.

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 11 months ago #337829 by
Replied by on topic Voices from the past
I think you've hit on something pretty important. We have to recognize these mistakes we've made in the past (like ignoring the advice of our elders), true, but we can rectify those mistakes later in life by changing our ways (its never too late) and resolving to share that wisdom with others.

And who knows, perhaps wisdom is like a fine wine. Maybe by giving the advice time to come out in your life and to be added onto by your own experiences the advice has become greater, more valuable. I like to think of knowledge and wisdom as a massive construction project that the Human race is working on. We should add to the progress in our lives, not take from it. When we build on the lessons of old, we are making progress. But when we ignore it we are simply refusing to contribute to society's ultimate good.

Anyway, as long as we don't recognize the mistake and toss it aside, without making any real change to your life. If that happens, we are making the same mistake we've already made.

More
4 years 11 months ago #337831 by Carlos.Martinez3
Have to - should - to me are a few of those words I’ve learned to use only for myself - it rarely applies to others what I think I should have done. Smiley face.
Good advice from a fellow traveler can always be taken any time. Even saved for when it’s needed - kinna like a gift or a tool.
Axid - thank you for your reply-sounds like that path and road has seen a frequent visit or two from you. How did you or what do you do now with what you know now ?
I have accepted that glow now or later - I may have to be a little more faithful to see results - I may never. Especially if I come across those - ( ha ha ha ) like me! I have to remind myself some times - this may not be that day of contact or connection but the day of building rather than acceptance. ( If that makes sense?)

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #337836 by
Replied by on topic Voices from the past
I understand what you mean about "Should," and "Have to," but I find that too often people will do what they want regardless of the specific language I use. So--within reason--I don't worry too much about it. Nobody should read too far into my use of those words. Its for the better. ;)

Honestly, Carlos, I don't remember a lot of specific chunks of advice I've been given. So, instead of recalling a word of advice and putting it into use each moment of my life that I need it, I honor those that I have ignored in the past by trying to improve my way of life in general ways every chance that I have.

Ah! Here is one that I just remembered:
Code:
Never pass up a problem that you can solve.
I don't recall where I heard this, but it has come to me in various forms throughout my life, and I've only recently begun to actually implement it. It is helpful in a lot of ways. For one, problems don't build up. They don't become unmanageable because they cannot compound. This advice has also helped me build and repair personal and professional relationships. People tend to be very grateful when you fix a problem they didn't realize they had. Make sure there is balance, though. Be careful not to go behind everyone's back and do everything for them without teaching them where the opportunity presents itself.

Thats just one example, but I imagine I adopt old advice like this constantly throughout the day, without even realizing it. Thats what is so neat about all of this. When we open our mind to this sort of change, we develop as a person almost automatically, without always having to make intentional steps towards improvement (Although, intentional change is beneficial, too).
Last edit: 4 years 11 months ago by . Reason: Formatting

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi