On "Correcting Beliefs"

More
4 years 10 months ago #337620 by Proteus
I just wanted to present a question here for whoever would like to discuss it.

Whose responsibility is it to manage someone's beliefs? (As in, making sure said beliefs are well founded, better understood, justly executed, etc)

Is it the one who holds the belief?

Is it those who might be affected by those beliefs even if indirectly and over time?

Is it someone who has decided to set out to question others about their beliefs to seemingly inspire critical thinking regarding them?

Some combination of the three?

Something/someone else?

Why or why not?

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Kobos

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 10 months ago #337625 by Rosalyn J
Replied by Rosalyn J on topic On "Correcting Beliefs"
Boy what a loaded question.

A combination, but either one becoming judge and jury for either party can shut down dialogue

Pax Per Ministerium
[img

The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos, ZealotX

More
4 years 10 months ago #337631 by Carlos.Martinez3
This is from my own practice. It is from my own character and my own path. I may or may not share parallels or even parts but here ya go.

As a modern day Jeddist I can not and never will correct some ones beliefs. I have taken a liberty as a human being and as free will and choice to choose my own character/s - faith/s - practice/s idea /s and everything else in between —-regardless of where I find it or who I find it from. To me in my path - this is a freedom I wish every one to have and take. This type of “judgment or correction” keeps me from sharing and making the connections I actually seek and use to help me find and live. As one with such a belief system - and as open and free as it is - it isn’t immune to blind hate - ridicule or even those who don’t share it with me.
A belief/s -in my practice - can be chosen. A balance ( or un-balance)of that and who we are and many other things can be the result and CAN create that type of character - who we are.
As I study and make these connections, it is my choice to leave room for new things and new beliefs - I choose. I have often noticed when some, not all , but it is present that when one or more beliefs are present in a discussion... the need to validate the actual belief and or side - becomes a part of the discussion. Often times the actual subject is lost and it’s faith VS faith —- FIGHT! Sadly to me, these type of oppositions leads to nothing often. Upset and anger dwell there often.
Beliefs are up to the individual to create and shape and create. Some of us take what’s fist given - not wrong but as Jiddu says - “spoon fed” can be cultivated later (or sooner) . Choices can be made later and depth and content can be the subjects if we choose to seek. I leave room and I seek. When I find what I can use - I study - find out - validate and try. Some times I just try first. Here’s the dilly ... if I can, so can others. If I can find a balance and create my own, so can others. If I can live at peace and growth, so can others. We can’t make choices for others. Free will says if others choose to not abide by my practice - they ain’t gotta. If they wanna be a jerk to others, they can. I know plenty of folk like that. I know plenty of folk like me. I know plenty of folk not like me - like me. In layman’s terms - I take my freedoms and I know others who do as well who share that path with me and are entirely never “cookie cutter” like me yet we hold the same path that gives us the freedoms to choose. We wear the same cloak but not the same underwear. ( a joke)
To me it’s all up to me and I chose to allow the effects - results and practices influence my own .To you - that’s up to you . To others - I wish them all the freedoms I have and more.

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

More
4 years 10 months ago #337632 by ZealotX
Replied by ZealotX on topic On "Correcting Beliefs"

Proteus wrote: I just wanted to present a question here for whoever would like to discuss it.

Whose responsibility is it to manage someone's beliefs? (As in, making sure said beliefs are well founded, better understood, justly executed, etc)

Is it the one who holds the belief?

Is it those who might be affected by those beliefs even if indirectly and over time?

Is it someone who has decided to set out to question others about their beliefs to seemingly inspire critical thinking regarding them?

Some combination of the three?

Something/someone else?

Why or why not?

Your beliefs are part of who you are; part of your code so to speak. This is much in the same way that memories are part of who you are. We make decisions based on both our beliefs and our memories and the outcome of those decisions can be new memories and new beliefs. This is so personal that the only one who could manage your beliefs is you.

When this guy came to my door and told me I was going to hell, he didn't know he was telling me that. In his understanding of HIS OWN beliefs he was merely conveying a warning that I was being "foolish" enough to ignore. I'm injecting the word foolish on his part because you have to think there is "some reason" why this person doesn't believe what you do in order for you to go to their door.

Perhaps he expected me to quake and shiver and beg him to take me to his church so that I could hopefully avoid the flames of hell, but if I don't believe in his God then why would I believe his God wants to torture me for not believing he exists? He thinks I have a problem and I think he has a problem. But should I disabuse him of his problem? No. Who am I to do so? His teacher? His parent? And if I try, not only will I likely fail because he is afraid to die and therefore afraid of hell, but he likely is also reinforced by friends and family who might turn away from him if he stops believing as they do. Will his life change for the better if he stops believing? What about his future wife or girlfriend? A lot of his marital prospects are believers. There's no guarantee that his life is going to be one iota better and in reality it could get worse.

So unless this guy is asking me a question regarding his beliefs there is simply no invitation to debate. Even if he tells me what he believes it only means that I have the option to accept it or not. It doesn't mean I have a third option to launch a "hellfire" missile at his beliefs just because he dared speak about them in my presence.

Just this morning... real life example... my wife tells me Nanna (her grandmother) says this Jedi warrior stuff isn't going to help and that I need to pray. My wife didn't understand why that would offend me because, of course, she's not the person in question and she believes in God and in prayer. I do believe in prayer, but not because of a deity hearing or answering them. But I had to resist my natural urge to make some snappy comeback because in effect it's saying "my God's better than your god". And this is what a lot of people have been fighting and warring over for hundreds of years because such gods, so narrowly defined, are like Duncan McCloud, the Highlander. There can be only one. And when you have that perspective everyone else is automatically wrong and you're simply entertaining their beliefs and waiting for opportunities to destroy them.

But if those beliefs are a part of who that person is then you're not only destroying the belief, but with it the person who believes it. And the things we criticize religions most for is exactly this sort of behavior; trying to destroy the beliefs of others so that their own ideas can be dominant.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos

More
4 years 10 months ago #337633 by Carlos.Martinez3
something I forgot ... the correction of beliefs almost always take over and the focus of a discussion and is usually lost in the correction. After a while the need to correct becomes overwhelming , you forget the original idea. Ive metillions who spout blind hate against a belief and forget - forget the original idea was love or defiantly the opposite of quick judgment. Happens a lot . It happened to me and I experienced it first and second hand. That - in itself- can be seen as - a way or belief itself - not the original belief.

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

More
4 years 10 months ago #337645 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic On "Correcting Beliefs"
Organizational articulations correlate differing frameworks, and so lose context like 'chinese whispers'. The individual is responsible, but the closer a person is to that individual then the more able they will be able to both understand a problem but also how to best articulate it as a problem to the individual in such a way as to achieve the best outcome. It's probably what defines the strength of a relationship perhaps.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos, Ambert The Traveller

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi