"Not Serious but Sincere" - or The Romanticisation of Jediism

More
5 years 2 weeks ago - 5 years 2 weeks ago #336725 by Adder

Proteus wrote: I'm wondering what went through your head when reading the thread title.

What does that phrase and term mean to you?

Does romaticizing Jediism affect one's approach to it? Can romanticisation make one more serious than sincere?

To me serious is the application of resources as effort being more then sufficient to meet the expected need. The concept of 'application of resources' to me is the mapping of accurate relations between concepts, ie truth aka accuracy in depth. So there is no negativity associated to it AFAIK despite it being potentially misplaced and a wasted effort, or being inappropriate timed.

Sincere is just a statement about intent to be 'not misleading'.

So 'not serious but sincere' to me would be a statement of truth about something superficial.

And so I'd have to say a sincere reflection on Jediism that romanticizes it - would be to imply both a serious understanding and close relationship with, aka an appearance of wisdom and experience.

If its true then it might be (wisdom), but if its false then its probably not... so the application of that really starts to talk about the person saying it more then anything else IMO. As the process could be said to make a lot of assumptions in the leap from superficial context to 'surity from depth', so its best to use softening language IMO so to avoid appearing like one is trying to lecture as if there is only their way or the wrong way, and so instead I take the approach to exercise it as personal growth or exploration of concepts rather then truth. The other option though is to use it to reinforce an appearance of wisdom regardless of the risk of looking like a tool for not knowing what one is talking about it and 'romanticizing the stone', so to speak :D

So by my definitions above, and my application above, I would not be surprised if I appeared serious about it... but that is why I'm here because my circumstances allow me to be at this time and I justify the effort for my own reasons. The results are of course up for debate :silly:

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 5 years 2 weeks ago by Adder.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Proteus, Kobos

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 2 weeks ago #336750 by Kobos
First, let me say I am a real space wizard, if I wasn't why would I wear this cloak?

You can in fact laugh at things. I am the type who laughs at funerals, why? Because, I would rather spend my time laughing about the good times than crying over the coffin of my friend. Being at the funeral is serious, laughing over the good memories is sincere about the loss

Romanticism is found every where, Manu touched on a good point, I think that is an important way to look at it and one I have experienced myself to great determent. I also want to present this. Every single thing you do, you have undoubtedly romanticized in your own head. If you don't then you have no expectations, no goals, no outcomes or reasons to act. Think about that for a second. Even while writing this I am romanticizing my own writing hoping that it comes off in the voice that few here have actually heard in real life. The voice that makes me......well me.

If romanticism helps yourself growth than let it, if it begins to impede you in most cases others will notice and begin to mention it to you, take heed in those cases, at least consider what is said.

Much Love, Respect and Peace,
Kobos

What has to come ? Will my heart grow numb ?
How will I save the world ? By using my mind like a gun
Seems a better weapon, 'cause everybody got heat
I know I carry mine, since the last time I got beat
MF DOOM Books of War

Training Masters: Carlos.Martinez3 and JLSpinner
TB:Nakis
Knight of the Conclave
The following user(s) said Thank You: Proteus, Carlos.Martinez3

More
5 years 2 weeks ago - 5 years 2 weeks ago #336761 by Adder
I tend to use 'embodiment of a model' more then 'romanticizing an idea(l)'. For me I tend to define romanticizing as a type of embodiment which just sees the positives, a bit of a fairy tale. Putting lipstick on a pig sort of thing :D
It's fun till the damn pig eats all your make up.... but its a good way to motivate. It sounds like a very visual concept. I wonder if sound can be romanticized!?

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 5 years 2 weeks ago by Adder.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Proteus, Carlos.Martinez3

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 2 weeks ago - 5 years 2 weeks ago #336764 by

Kobos wrote: First, let me say I am a real space wizard, if I wasn't why would I wear this cloak?

Does that mean that you have romanticised it so much that it no longer serves a practical function in reality? I think it is fine to laugh at a funeral but we also must cry or that emotion gets buried and turns to something bad. So how can you tell if your romanticism is functioning to your advantage or your detriment? When one becomes lost in delusion they are often times convinced they are acting for the greater good when objectively speaking they are really not.
Last edit: 5 years 2 weeks ago by .

More
5 years 2 weeks ago #336797 by Kobos

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

Kobos wrote: First, let me say I am a real space wizard, if I wasn't why would I wear this cloak?

Does that mean that you have romanticized it so much that it no longer serves a practical function in reality?.

Please keep in mind that these are only responses that apply from a personal perspective. This was a light sarcastic attempt at being facetious :) but a valid question as applies in general. I would say this is more a product of looking at something as myths and then applying the real to it. The ideals set in this myth (the cinematic Jedi), are still of very important part of the function of my reality. For example, the Bushido code is an interesting set of guidelines to live one's life by. However, the unromantic samurai was not at all an example of the importance of the code to me. Because, in reality they were kind of douches, in a class system, designed to keep power in the hands of few. So, does wearing the cloak make me any more Jedi than anyone else? No, not really it's a way of me showing I believe in a certain set of teachings and a way to have fun on occasion.

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: I think it is fine to laugh at a funeral but we also must cry or that emotion gets buried and turns to something bad.

I agree! I suppose, I just personally see the time of a funeral one to move on from grief. One should grieve loss in the way they see fit. That one is just mine.

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: So how can you tell if your romanticism is functioning to your advantage or your detriment? When one becomes lost in delusion they are often times convinced they are acting for the greater good when objectively speaking they are really not..

So, this is a nice meaty question. Thank you Kyrin. First part of understanding your own disillusionment is understanding that the definition of normality is fluid(it is a given metric by the majority of society). IMHO one's romanticism can be gauged on a scale of good to bad through situational awareness and self reflection. If one can (as close to objectively as possible) look at their actions and show that the self nor community determent is not a debilitating/harmful level, that's a good start. The second part, of this is being open and willing to communicate. It is important to realize that other's perspectives are often a decent gauge of objectivity, when taken with a grain of salt. The final part to cracking the egg here is understanding that one's "greater good" is always (I mean always) skewed by personal perspective. Accepting that one can in fact be delusional is vital in this equation (humility). Being able to take others input on their greater good, openly listening (without presumption of insult to an individuals own world perspective) and what in reality exists are often going to be off kilter with the "normality" of majority opinion. It takes a certain level of personal reflection (not personal affirmation, which many confuse with personal reflection) and inventory of one's actions to really dig in and see when your own ideology has stopped fitting the actual definition "greater good".

Much Obliged for the questions!

Much Love, Respect and Peace,
Kobos

What has to come ? Will my heart grow numb ?
How will I save the world ? By using my mind like a gun
Seems a better weapon, 'cause everybody got heat
I know I carry mine, since the last time I got beat
MF DOOM Books of War

Training Masters: Carlos.Martinez3 and JLSpinner
TB:Nakis
Knight of the Conclave
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
5 years 2 weeks ago - 5 years 2 weeks ago #336799 by Proteus
What if, "Romanticisation of Jediism" referred not only to literal interpretation of being a Jedi, but also one's own unique take on it? Not so much that one might have one but rather how unyieldingly insistant one clings onto it as their primary way of personally validating themselves about being a Jedi, that any or at least most other approaches one sees, suddenly seem objectively incorrect to them?

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log
Last edit: 5 years 2 weeks ago by Proteus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos

More
5 years 2 weeks ago - 5 years 2 weeks ago #336839 by OB1Shinobi
When i read the title i think of someone whose “warrior training” consists of dressing up in robes and swinging a toy lightsaber in the back yard.....maybe they even supplement with Tai Chi or Wing Chun or even (the most dreadest of all the invincible deadly mystic warrior arts) Aikido (lol). Someone who wants to be a “healer” by learning about aromatherapy and the “vibrations” of crystals. Someone who persues “wisdom” by reading Deepak Chopra and Wayne Dyer. People who tell each other they have “old souls” and “healing hands”. They're all very sincere (they believe in what they are doing) but theyre not very serious (cause what theyre doing doesnt amount to anything more than playing around). The real kicker of it is that they actually think they ARE being serious.

People are complicated.
Last edit: 5 years 2 weeks ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Proteus,

More
5 years 2 weeks ago #336840 by Rosalyn J

OB1Shinobi wrote: When i read the title i think of someone whose “warrior training” consists of dressing up in robes and swinging a toy lightsaber in the back yard.....maybe they even supplement with Tai Chi or Wing Chun or even (the most dreadest of all the invincible deadly mystic warrior arts) Aikido (lol). Someone who wants to be a “healer” by learning about aromatherapy and the “vibrations” of crystals. Someone who persues “wisdom” by reading Deepak Chopra and Wayne Dyer. People who tell each other they have “old souls” and “healing hands”. They're all very sincere (they believe in what they are doing) but theyre not very serious (cause what theyre doing doesnt amount to anything more than playing around). The real kicker of it is that they actually think they ARE being serious.

That's rough man. What would be the serious counterpart?

Pax Per Ministerium
[img

The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

More
5 years 2 weeks ago #336842 by OB1Shinobi

Rosalyn J wrote: That's rough man. What would be the serious counterpart?

The serious counterpart is real education and real training.

If you want to be a warrior, join the military- they really go to war.
If you want to be able to fight, join a fight gym- they really fight.
If you want to be a healer, try medical school, or an EMT/S program, or become a nurse- they really heal people.

That sort of thing.

People are complicated.

More
5 years 2 weeks ago #336843 by Rosalyn J

OB1Shinobi wrote:

Rosalyn J wrote: That's rough man. What would be the serious counterpart?

The serious counterpart is real education and real training.

If you want to be a warrior, join the military- they really go to war.
If you want to be able to fight, join a fight gym- they really fight.
If you want to be a healer, try medical school, or an EMT/S program, or become a nurse- they really heal people.

That sort of thing.

I see. Thanks

Pax Per Ministerium
[img

The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi