You can't always get what you want ...

More
5 years 1 month ago #335634 by Tellahane
Stop with the jabs and attacks this is your only warning this applies to arisaig, John, and Ren...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3
The topic has been locked.
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 1 month ago #335635 by
Thank you, Tella. While you're here, could you be a star and lock this thread. There is no more discussion to be had here.
More
5 years 1 month ago #335636 by ZealotX

Arisaig wrote:

ZealotX wrote:

Arisaig wrote:

ren wrote: That's not how it works, you have to supply the justice :whistle:

Good thing I don't care how you interpret being a Jedi, not being one yourself...

oh no. That was an almost perfect recreation of the parable of the debt collector. Ren may not be a Jedi but ren sees you insulting the Jedi master and demanding that he engage with you publicly. And the thing is... people looking on do not necessarily see it the way you do. It looks to me like Bro. John is trying to teach you something but you refuse to see it that way and are instead insulted by the lesson.

I've been in debates before where I looked just as bad as the other guy. I let the other guy access my emotions and I responded out of my emotions and even though I thought I was making great points what many people saw, wasn't that I was right, but that I was reactionary and upset.

You are a good debater. We don't always agree but I can honestly say that I respect both you and your journey. And I feel like if I were in your shoes you would probably recognize my reactions and check me. You're upset because Bro John is not engaging you in the way that you want him to but if you were fighting an opponent in real life there's no requirement that they attack a certain way. And maybe they just sit there and wait to deflect your attacks because they view YOU as the aggressor.

I'm just telling you what I see. And it looks like Bro John took a page from one of the old martial arts masters (the ones with ridiculously long eyebrows) fighting a student with some kind of reed with only enough movement to repel the student's attacks. In my opinion Bro John uses quotes the same way Jet Li uses wushu. It's a style. And he's saying only what he thinks he needs to say. And that's a teachable moment for me because I need to say more with less. But that's because of my own need to get the person to understand what I'm trying to convey rather than them being responsible for their own understanding. With all due respect, I have only gained respect for Bro John from this exchange. If you set aside your emotions you may understand why.

You see, I wasn't expecting an attack. I was expecting an olive branch.

Disappointing, as usual, but I expected more.

but you can be hit with an olive branch....

or you can run into one.

meaning: this isn't an exact comparison but Jesus spoke in parables. That was HIS style. And often people didn't get it. Sometimes he had to explain it to his closest disciples. What he said had to be discerned spiritually. You seem to have been upset that Bro John spoke to you "in parables". And in response you quickly started insulting him because you felt slighted. But again... he didn't mention you. He said "someone" and he didn't lie. He said they didn't understand. That's not a jab unless you believe you know and understand everything. And its not to say you don't understand the lyrics but rather why they were sent to you. If the pharisees didn't understand Jesus's meaning they felt challenged because of their ego and even though Jesus wasn't exactly trying to go to war with them they often insulted him and tried to set him up to say something that would get him stoned. And so, again, he spoke in parables. so that "he who hath an ear..."

Once you FEEL hit then you have the opportunity to react. You can either question if and why you were hit or you can assume the worst; that you were hit intentionally. These feelings don't change anything. They don't define whether or not you were hit. It just feels like you were hit. And so you're more likely to keep feeling like that until you've worn yourself out. You still don't have a clear sense of why you received those lyrics. And by fighting back did it get you what you wanted? Or perhaps you didn't get what you needed to hear. You are still very impatient. And Bro John just exposed that but only after you confronted him and made it into a battle. You forced a battle because that's what you wanted but you can't always get what you want.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Neaj Pa Bol
  • ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
5 years 1 month ago #335638 by ren

Arisaig wrote: Thank you, Tella. While you're here, could you be a star and lock this thread. There is no more discussion to be had here.

You started talking about people and derailed the thread at post #2. I'm still hoping this thread can turn around and go back to need vs want.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Neaj Pa Bol, Carlos.Martinez3
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 1 month ago #335639 by

ren wrote:

Arisaig wrote: Thank you, Tella. While you're here, could you be a star and lock this thread. There is no more discussion to be had here.

You started talking about people and derailed the thread at post #2. I'm still hoping this thread can turn around and go back to need vs want.

What the thread was about was getting someone else to explain to some undisclosed person what a quote from a rock and roll song meant. Br. John has since made his stance clear with his responses. Case closed.

MODS: I do not want a thread that was originally targeted at me, and will continue to discuss me, open anymore. Lock it.
More
5 years 1 month ago #335640 by Tellahane
This thread is locked, if you wish to continue discussion please do so in a manner that discusses ideas and not people, as well as will follow the terms of service and rules please.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3
Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi