5 years 1 month ago #334927 by
Replied by on topic What is the Force
The topic has been locked.
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 1 month ago #334930 by

Adder wrote: That is the good thing about communication, it can be civil amid disagreement.

Tell that to the people that died in the world trade center.
More
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #334932 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic What is the Force

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

Adder wrote: That is the good thing about communication, it can be civil amid disagreement.

So you disagree that communication can be civil amid disagreement!!!? That must make life tough to do anything with anyone who disagrees with you. I see it all the time, and is a big part of what things like diplomacy and negotiations involve throughout all levels of social interaction. In fact one would have a hard time engaging with society if they only accepted things their own way and communication is the key to balancing out competing interests.

But its getting really off topic I guess, disagreement needs to be understood in terms of its impact in time and space but most importantly for its potentials, and the I guess the Force is sort of like equivalent to a coordinate space defined by the doctrinal values, so people can focus on generating effective frames of reference for positive change in the face of competing interests (or more normally, change).

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 5 years 1 month ago by Adder.
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #334933 by

Adder wrote:

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

So you disagree that communication can be civil amid disagreement!!!? That must make life tough to do anything with anyone who disagrees with you. I see it all the time, and is a big part of what things like diplomacy and negotiations involve throughout all levels of social interaction. In fact one would have a hard time engaging with society if they only accepted things their own way and communication is the key to balancing out competing interests.

I never said that. But it is also not always the case that it is successful. I'm asking what happens when your attempts at diplomacy fail because of radically different views than your own.
Last edit: 5 years 1 month ago by .
More
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #334934 by Adder

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

Adder wrote:

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

I never said that. But it is also not always the case that it is successful. I'm asking what happens when your attempts at diplomacy fail because of radically different views than your own.

You didn't say that, but if that is what you meant then I'd suggest its unrelated to the topic being discussed. See my edit addition in my above post for how I view the relationship between communication and understanding, and what Phortis might have meant about the importance of expressing our own understanding rather then disagreeing with other peoples understanding... as a better way to enable more efficient and productive communication I presume.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Last edit: 5 years 1 month ago by Adder.
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 1 month ago #334937 by
Lol sure it's a tangent to be sure. But is any tangent to a co conversation really off topic or is it an evolution. Evolution not implying better or worse, just different. I find them valuable and I hate the topic cops that dictate they are not. But in any case, we were trying to achieve consensus on underlying force makeup free of any identifiable attribute in reality that could be debated so I concede the floor.
More
5 years 1 month ago #334938 by Adder

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: Lol sure it's a tangent to be sure. But is any tangent to a co conversation really off topic or is it an evolution. Evolution not implying better or worse, just different. I find them valuable and I hate the topic cops that dictate they are not. But in any case, we were trying to achieve consensus on underlying force makeup free of any identifiable attribute in reality that could be debated so I concede the floor.

Hehe yea, unless its based off a misinterpretation in which case its more of a de-evolution. It might be a good new topic though so perhaps start a new thread if you like.

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
5 years 1 month ago #334960 by ren
Replied by ren on topic What is the Force

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

ren wrote: The common attribute should at least be that the Force is a ubiquitous metaphysical power which is the underlying/fundamental nature of the universe.

This is interesting but ultimately not specific enough. I would hesitate to call The Force Ubiquitous. I'm just not convinced it could be classified as omnipresent. Also Metaphysical proposes a problem as it defines itself in various aspects including existence as well as abstract idea. And the idea of power is vague. How is power defined in this instance? Finally if it is abstract in nature, how is it an underlying aspect of the universe?

Metaphysical implies that it precedes the physical. Ubiquitous implies that it is in everything. A power implies a 'force' (I know right) as opposed to nothing. To put it in other words the force powers everything that exist, be it particles, space, or time. It isn't abstract. The force is the whole. The tiniest moment in time, the tiniest particle, radiation, space, you name it, is an expression of the force and evidence of it.

If you believe it isn't the case, you're not jedi. First line of the doctrine.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos, Ambert The Traveller
More
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #334966 by Gisteron
Replied by Gisteron on topic What is the Force

ren wrote: Metaphysical implies that it precedes the physical. Ubiquitous implies that it is in everything. A power implies a 'force' (I know right) as opposed to nothing. To put it in other words the force powers everything that exist, be it particles, space, or time. It isn't abstract. The force is the whole. The tiniest moment in time, the tiniest particle, radiation, space, you name it, is an expression of the force and evidence of it.

So... in other words its an entirely meaningless term, then. It literally means nothing because no line can be drawn to separate things encompassed by it from things that aren't. Claims of its significance and effects are also unfalsifiable, because by the definition you gave there can be no test performed that gives different results in any pair of possible worlds. How is this a reasonable position? Half of it is gibberish, the other half entirely irrational. Oh, but wait, it gets better. Not only do you hold to this single least reasonable - let alone useful - take on the Force, you also say:

If you believe it isn't the case, you're not jedi. First line of the doctrine.

Excuse me, dear sir... In my seven years of being registered, at TOTJO including the year or so worth of membership at TOTJO, and what little interaction I enjoyed with the larger Jedi community during that and afterward, not once was I surveyed on what the TOTJO doctrine ought contain. Would I have had much of a contribution to make if I was? No, probably not. So let me ask you, if I may, what fraction of active members past and present actually did vote on the contents of the doctrine? Maybe the council did. Maybe the clergy did. It's not like this is out in the open, so I for one wouldn't know. What fraction of active members elected any of the composers of the doctrine to represent them and their beliefs?
Far be it from me to dictate to you who you should or shouldn't personally or in your capacity as councillor recognize as Jedi or not, who exactly are you to speak on any of their behalves but your own? Who are you to declare what is or isn't a Jedi? Who elected you to make such decisions for any of them? And if you want to say that this is not you, but the doctrine, then by the very same token, why is the doctrine an authoritative document on that question? At best it can be argued that it defines what a member of the TOTJO is. Heck, it can be argued that you as an (unelected) councillor get to make that call. You are not the King of Jediism. The TOTJO Doctrine is not gospel. Not even the Code is, though I'd argue that in a contest for purity, out of the Code and the Doctrine, surely the latter isn't to pervail, is it, not with a Catholic creed forced in there artificially.

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned
Last edit: 5 years 1 month ago by Gisteron.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lykeios Little Raven
More
5 years 1 month ago #334972 by Loudzoo
Replied by Loudzoo on topic What is the Force
Gist - how can a term that pertains to wholeness and ubiquity be meaningless? Those words have meaning. There is a utility in words such as 'everything' and 'everyone'. Even in maths we need terms to describe the set of all possible sets.

Rather than deconstructing someone else's description - let's hear your answer to the question: What is the Force?

The Librarian
Knight of TOTJO: Initiate Journal , Apprentice Journal , Knight Journal , Loudzoo's Scrapbook
TM: Proteus
Knighted Apprentices: Tellahane , Skryym
Apprentices: Squint , REBender
Master's Thesis: The Jedi Book of Life
If peace cannot be maintained with honour, it is no longer peace . . .
Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi