Usernames containing Master, Darth, Lord, or titles, will be deleted

More
5 years 1 month ago #333914 by Br. John
Usernames ignoring this, especially with Master, come up more often than you'd think. Is this difficult to understand? Does it come across as a suggestion? If it only happened once in a while I would not bother to post about it. I'm wondering if anyone has ideas I've not considered.

Founder of The Order
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Kobos, Rex

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 1 month ago #333915 by
is it possible, not sure if it is, to have a section of the account creation process be a phrase you have to copy and paste from the FAQ (conveniently near that rule?) Then people would have to read through the FAQ to find it, and in turn, find that rule.

More
5 years 1 month ago #333916 by Avalon
I imagine most of those cases are the result of people just registering without exploring the site in depth.

One easy solution could be to edit the registration form so that the "Accounts with usernames containing" rule is right by the username creation box. (See screenshot)

It might not keep everyone from doing it, but it'll guarantee it's been seen. And hell, some might still do it just for giggles.

A second, and far more technical option, is to see if something can't be done on the back end. If it doesn't already exist in the site options, there may be a plug-in out there the your IT team can install that will allow them to prevent the registration of usernames containing such phrases. I say may, because I'm not as familiar with the systems we use as I am with other systems. It'd have to be one that allows the use of wildcards or one that can be set to "contains" rather than a simple blacklist. If such a plug-in or option exists, you could set it to filter out the most prominent instances (master, darth, padawan, etc)... It probably wouldn't be an all inclusive listing, but it could limit a lot of what you've got coming in.

Not all those who wander are lost
Studies Journal | Personal Journal
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Br. John, RyuJin, Kobos,

More
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #333982 by Satelle
How about a Terms of Service that includes an acceptable usernames section, and then making use of Joomla's Terms & Conditions functionality to present it upon registration, so they see it at the point of creating them. Might cut down on it.

Edit: The TOS does include this section, so it could easily be put into the Joomla Terms & Conditions functionality.

Satelle
(she/her)

IP Journal: 2024 IP Journal
Degree Journal: Satelle's Degree Journal
Last edit: 5 years 1 month ago by Satelle.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Br. John, Rosalyn J, Carlos.Martinez3, Kobos,

More
5 years 1 month ago #333995 by JamesSand
Can we use titles we have?

I'm not sure I can get people to call me "Cap'n Jimmy" but I'm down for it if it's an option. I'll even wear an eye patch.

Venting aside - What are the odds of anyone who is about to offend reading this thread?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #334021 by

JamesSand wrote: Can we use titles we have?

I'm not sure I can get people to call me "Cap'n Jimmy" but I'm down for it if it's an option. I'll even wear an eye patch.

Venting aside - What are the odds of anyone who is about to offend reading this thread?

Im down, I will call you that, Novice Cap'n Jimmy! you can call me guest ranger Kyrin!
Last edit: 5 years 1 month ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 1 month ago #334025 by
Question.

What about names involving the title in... well, another language. Apropro, I've just seen an account come in with the name Master... but in french. Could one, conveivably, have an account by the name Dominar Ari (Spanish)? or Maighstir Ari (Scottish Gaelic)? ;p

Really, how would we monitor this?

More
5 years 1 month ago #334030 by Tellahane

Arisaig wrote: Question.

What about names involving the title in... well, another language. Apropro, I've just seen an account come in with the name Master... but in french. Could one, conveivably, have an account by the name Dominar Ari (Spanish)? or Maighstir Ari (Scottish Gaelic)? ;p

Really, how would we monitor this?

I have setup and placed in a filter that will now refuse usernames with certain words in it, so things like Master,Lord,Knight,Darth etc will now straight up refuse usernames so they can't register if they have those words within it, so if more need to be added to that list just need to come up with that list and I can add it in.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Br. John, Avalon, , Satelle

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi