Researchers Have Found a Way to Disagree Productively About Politics & Religion

More
04 Feb 2019 06:09 - 04 Feb 2019 06:13 #333582 by Rosalyn J
I have found an article that I enjoyed. I've placed it here to hear your thoughts. The full text is below in the spoiler
Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]

www.sciencealert.com/here-s-how-to-have-...epcXi7p4dd_xit41j6j8

Chaos is the stroke of the paintbrush. Harmony is to stand back and see the painting.-Skryym

Senior Knight, Senior Ordained Minister
Pastor, Temple of the Jedi Order
Teaching Maitre: Alexandre Orion
How Am I Doing , My Commitment
Kyber,Freja Saol-Wasser, Tobias Giesel,and Jhannuzs

Initiate Journal , Apprenticeship Journal , Clerical Journal , Continued Study
Last edit: 04 Feb 2019 06:13 by Rosalyn J.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Omhu Cuspor, OB1Shinobi, Kobos, Arisaig

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Feb 2019 17:08 #333607 by Omhu Cuspor
I am having to work really hard to avoid offering a statement both inaccurate and comedic ... "Now, I just disagree with that research!" :-)

In seriousness, I do have to admit I don't fully get the conclusion. The researchers draw a clear picture that most of us need something more than facts alone to inspire us to reconsider our ideological assumptions. But what I read from their prescription is to offer a statement like, "That's not the way I see it," or "That's not what I believe," and then providing the justification for our different point of view, which would presumably include a list of facts. The fault may be mine, but I am not seeing how that would diminish the likelihood of an interaction becoming fiery.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi, Kobos

More
04 Feb 2019 17:42 #333616 by Stormcaller

Omhu Cuspor wrote: I am having to work really hard to avoid offering a statement both inaccurate and comedic ... "Now, I just disagree with that research!" :-)

In seriousness, I do have to admit I don't fully get the conclusion. The researchers draw a clear picture that most of us need something more than facts alone to inspire us to reconsider our ideological assumptions. But what I read from their prescription is to offer a statement like, "That's not the way I see it," or "That's not what I believe," and then providing the justification for our different point of view, which would presumably include a list of facts. The fault may be mine, but I am not seeing how that would diminish the likelihood of an interaction becoming fiery.

The larger point was to change the way we engage with people we disagree with, or people who are just stubbornly, aggressively wrong about something. The idea is that people are more open to being corrected or challenged if the overall tone isn't hostile or aggressive. Why we need to do that at all is a bitter rant on my part (don't worry, I'll spare you the rant).

I disagree, somewhat, with it, but the merit of it is undeniable. It would be beneficial if people could adopt a less combative approach to debate and discussion.

Kelrax "Stormcaller" Lorcken
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi, Kobos

More
05 Feb 2019 01:39 #333640 by Rosalyn J
If we , generally speaking, would like to move from debate to dialogue, Maitre Alexandre Orion suggests this book:

I think you might like this book – "Martin Buber's I and Thou: Practicing Living Dialogue" by Kenneth Paul Kramer.

Start reading it for free: a.co/dxGoAdO

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Chaos is the stroke of the paintbrush. Harmony is to stand back and see the painting.-Skryym

Senior Knight, Senior Ordained Minister
Pastor, Temple of the Jedi Order
Teaching Maitre: Alexandre Orion
How Am I Doing , My Commitment
Kyber,Freja Saol-Wasser, Tobias Giesel,and Jhannuzs

Initiate Journal , Apprenticeship Journal , Clerical Journal , Continued Study
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, OB1Shinobi, Kobos