Situational Awareness (Consideration)

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 8 months ago #323871 by
This is sort of a pet peeve of mine, so I apologize if I sound irritated at any point here. But I'll try to keep it reigned in. ;)

This is really a simple matter of being considerate. I'm not perfect about that myself, but in one particular area that seems very Jedi-relevant, situational awareness, I am focused. Allow me to explain...

For example, when walking around a big department store there are a lot of people around you, many of which you can't see. I've come to practice this type of awareness because on one hand, I want to be considerate, and on the other hand, I feel it could be important to know where people are if the need ever arises to help them (such as holding the door for an elderly or handicapped person, or anyone at all).

I find that most people (not Jedi) have very little situational awareness. They're not watching where they're going, walking too fast, not paying attention enough in case someone is coming around a corner, or blocking the path so that no one can pass to get to where they need to be. It frustrates me beyond belief, particularly on that last point, at how inconsiderate some people can be. I would expect Jedi to be better than this, which is why I'm writing this.

When you're out in the world, please be considerate. Represent your Jedi way by being aware of your surroundings and the people in them. You never know what sort of opportunities there might be for you to help, even in small ways.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 8 months ago #323879 by rugadd
Over thinking. Walking around whilst our attention is in our head. Lack of focus.

Why we must discipline our minds as well as our bodies. Sensation meditation helps with this...also, giving a simple, repetitive job to the brain while we pay attention to the information coming in works well.

rugadd
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos

More
5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 8 months ago #323882 by Adder
Cell phone fixated folk tend to make me think of;

Attachment phonefixsaber.png not found

But yea, a difference between a fighter and a warrior is the extent of awareness at the battlespace, and therefore their capacity to make better decisions and exert better effects - instead of reacting like puppets they direct and shape the course of events. So in short, focus is an enabler only when appropriately directed, and that is part capability and part situation IMO, awareness of both enables the best course of action to be taken earlier and perhaps faster.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 8 months ago by Adder.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi