Star Trek:TNG and Ethics

More
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #317404 by Rosalyn J
Hi everyone, I'd like to take some time to discuss the series Star Trek the Next Generation and look at the ethical delimnas of each episode. I know it would take a very long time to talk through each episode, so if you have any favorites you want to discuss, I encourage that. Maybe I can make a list if you reply here.

Ill make each episode its own thread.

Here is our list so far:
4×21: The Drumhead
5x17: The Outcast
5x25: The Inner Light

Pax Per Ministerium
[img

Last edit: 6 years 1 month ago by Rosalyn J.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Locksley, OB1Shinobi

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 1 month ago #317408 by
Replied by on topic Star Trek:TNG and Ethics
TNG Season 5 episode 17: The Outcast

One of the best episodes in my opinion, about diversity and tolerance, specifically in sexual orientations. The J'naii species claims to be asexual, but there are still individuals who feels to be part of a sexual orientation (male or female). In the episode, Riker falls in love with a member of the J'naii species, and try to "save" her from brainwashing. It's interesting because it one time shows us the Prime Directive, and the right to choose the sex (one right that for humans is basilar for survival), but it may be a very big issue for another civilization.
I believe that us, as humans, have the need and the right to be whoever we want, to love who we want.

Lol sorry for the very long post, but I love this episode. This and the wonderfull 5x25 "The Inner Light"

More
6 years 1 month ago #317495 by Proteus
Replied by Proteus on topic Star Trek:TNG and Ethics
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neosYHqNSis

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rosalyn J

More
6 years 1 month ago #317592 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic Star Trek:TNG and Ethics
I love the ST franchise! For the very reason that they were so well written with real ethical and philosophical inquiries as the basis for so many episodes.
Im not here as much as i used to be so i cant make a promise of consistency, but Im pretty familiar with TNG (and also DSN and STV) and i will gladly contribute when i can.
I think this is a great idea B)

People are complicated.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zero

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi