I am working on a speech for my public speaking class your input on these would

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 months ago #316230 by
I have only started down this path and have decide that this would be a good topic to give a speech and learn about it as well any input on these 5 would be much appreciated... also I will have to cite you as a source :)
1 interesting differences/similarities between the jedi and other religions
2 practices that the jedi do
3 origins how jediism got started
4 sayings or quotes
5 anything else you find interesting

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #316240 by
1) In other religious groups you don't have quite so many people saying it isn't a religion! The Jedi path taught here is a set of philosphical and ethical views which are much more symbolic and less dogmatic than other religious groups. We fully akcnowledge the inspirational material - the fictional Star Wars Universe - is purely symbolic of life rather than a source of rules. Our source material, the materials we use for educating, belong to many traditions other than our own, we look for value in anything and everything rather than being beholden to only one or a few sources. The similarities to other religious or philosophical outlooks is our values, which tend to be found almost universally and are outlined in our Doctrine . This is why we can use so many sources of teaching, the values can be found across cultures and throughout history.

2} Practices can vary greatly between Jedi, but common ones include Meditation, physical exercise (yoga/martial arts/fitness), a commitment to learning (reading/discussing ideas) and the will to overcome our weaknesses.

3)There's Jediism which is a religious movement, there is also a non-religious interpretation often called Jedi Realism which predates the religious movement. Jedi Realism began out of internet role-playing chatrooms (like the Mos Eisley Cantina) from which emerged several websites like the Jedi Academy of Yavin 4 (1995) . Jediism emerged as a reaction to the census phenomenon of 2001 in which "Jedi/Jedi Knight" was put down as a religion thus sparking a great debate within the Jedi community. Temple of the Jedi Order (2005) was the first explicitly religious Jedi group, but has members who don't identify as being religious.
Both Jedi Realism and Jediism are functionally the same, any differences are much more attributable to the particular Jedi groups one participates in rather than fundamental doctrinal/philosophical differences.

4)The most common saying in the Jedi community is probably the "original" code:
There is no Emotion, there is Peace.
There is no Ignorance, there is Knowledge.
There is no Passion, there is Serenity.
There is no Chaos, there is Harmony.
There is no Death, there is the Force.
Originally published by West End Games' Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game (1987). This Code was expanded to include a fifth line [Chaos/Harmony] in the game Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (2003).

5} You are welcome to read my dissertation on the subject which includes in the bibliography most of the academic works about the Jedi Movement and goes into the history in more depth.
Further it's doubtless others have more to add than only the surface scratchings in this post.
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by .

More
6 years 2 months ago #316263 by Carlos.Martinez3
Each answer from each Jedi will be how they practice so each answer will be diffrent .
In my practice I practice the art of syncretism - mix n match pick my own find my own . I subscribe to the all myth . Every myth for all man. I can take any character I find And make it my own.incan take any truth I find and any practice I like and study and receive it for my self. If I wanna play the chello I can learn to play it if I wanna play the guitar I can learn to ...same for character in this sense : I can practice ceartain traits and receive them . Big diffrence. No need for creditnor diety... just results.
That being stated you can see where the combinations and vast avalibility is on our practices . Some can be bits is everyhjringmor none of all of em. Me persoanllly impractice one simple idea - I believe in the inherit worth of all- this one light his one goal his onemifea helps me to remind my self of my own focus :
We are all a part of the same whole -'we are all as valuable as I am and the old "human potential " is valued to each individual as much as I have - the same can be yours.

Here we are all fans . Don't let that be mis confused . If it wasn't for a story teller sharing his view with the world ide have never known of this small idea. Our faith comes from a spark of movie and cinema . And although it's origins come from fiction- as human beings we've figured out a better and more - direct way omexptess our selfs. Modern day Jedi ism is the practice of other human beings believing that everything is connected and acting as such... which is Kinna what a lot of other ideas and cultures used to teach. We are no difrent. This is one of many difrent selfless ways to view our life's with others. There are many.
Modern day jedi ism - I have used it very much to the point where I've eliminated labels. The ability to see somemome directly for what they are presently - no labels no names just human- that says a lot about a "religion" or an "idea" or a practice . Jedi ism the label that removes labels ! Happy seeking and may the Force be with you !

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

More
6 years 2 months ago #316277 by Kit

MidoriNeko wrote: I have only started down this path and have decide that this would be a good topic to give a speech and learn about it as well any input on these 5 would be much appreciated... also I will have to cite you as a source :)

1 interesting differences/similarities between the jedi and other religions

I think both a difference and a similarity is that the Jedi way leaves us free to explore other faiths and practices, and incorporate those into our own. So our practices can end up similar to other faiths, but the difference is that we're free to look around and accept other faiths. I also find the apprenticeship style learning is rather rare as far as religions go. The one-on-one kind of mentorship and teaching that goes on in an apprenticeship isn't often found except when going for leadership or key positions. And the primarily online access has its benifits and drawbacks too.

2 practices that the jedi do

Knightings are probably the only common practice here. Live sermons with the Jedi Creed repeated. Otherwise practice is down to the individual to decide. I think some form of meditations are pretty common too.

3 origins how jediism got started

Akkarin has you covered here! (Thanks Akkarin!)

4 sayings or quotes

Oh gods, don't get me started! hahha I love quotes and sayings. My favorites tend to change with what I need at the time but I think my most steady one is a German Proverb "What the lion cannot do, the fox can." We each have our own gifts to use.

5 anything else you find interesting

eer...I find lots interesting but can't think of anything to add as far as Jediism haha
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 months ago #316281 by

Kit wrote:

MidoriNeko wrote: 1 interesting differences/similarities between the jedi and other religions

I think both a difference and a similarity is that the Jedi way leaves us free to explore other faiths and practices, and incorporate those into our own. So our practices can end up similar to other faiths, but the difference is that we're free to look around and accept other faiths.

To expand a bit on what Kit said, for me one of the interestng differences is that Jediism actively acknowledges its syncretism. Many, perhaps even most, religions borrow liberally from other faiths and practices; e.g., the pagan holidays that have been subsumed into Christianity. But it's not common for other religions to so openly admit that they do so. Here, we attribute and even celebrate the teachings and practices that we have swiped from other faiths.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi