6 years 2 months ago #316484 by
T-minus five, peeps.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 months ago #316508 by
The promised transcript, with only necessary edits (thus ensuring all my typos are on full display):

Warning: Spoiler!

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 months ago #316511 by
Going to add that this conversation need not be concluded. If what was discussed leads to further questions -- I am stunningly talented at explaining things in a way that makes even more explanation necessary ;) -- please ask them here.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 1 month ago #319066 by
Is there somewhere we can read the policies that are employed by the IP review team if we do choose to submit our IP journals for review? Unfortunately I heard a rumour that it is a standard practice to delete Novice journals if plagiarism, in the form of a lack of citations, is spotted when they are submitted; however there is nothing in the FAQs that states that this is the case.

There's a bit that says plagiarism isn't cool. I dig that. There's a bit that says "keep a backup because the servers are unreliable", makes sense. But there's not a bit that says your entire IP Journal might be deleted as a result of a lack of citations. Or, indeed, for any reason other than rule violation (being abusive, that kind of thing, and then the abusive bit is removed and the person maybe out on a 24hr cooldown...) Am I looking in the wrong place? What other policies are there, if any exist?

I am concerned by the impact that such a policy, if it exists, would have on both the Novice community and the temple community as a whole. Journals are a source of "Jediism to us" - I've heard knights cite novices' journals for ideas they liked. People cite each other in unofficial and informal chat "Oh, I like what you wrote", and someone else listening might think "ooh, I want to read that". That's a bit tricky if the journal's not there; and it's unlikely that a journal has no original work in it if the reasoning is a lack of citations. A person may not remember their good and valuable thoughts in a second run of IP. In a second run of IP, a person is very different - some knights "go back to IP" later to review it. They find their responses very much change. I believe the temple looses if this is policy. I think plagiarism is uncool, however why throw out the good with the bad? Can't the policy not run more along the lines of "Lets make a bad thing good"? (That's a basic understanding of what Jediism is to me!)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 1 month ago #319153 by
Thanks for creating another thread where my question is being answered. Here's another instead:

Do you have any advice for temple guests/members/novices who are still trying to discern their path, what they want to do after IP? It can be quite a big step, about which, even with all the facts, very little is known until it is personally confronted.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 1 month ago #319159 by
There isn't that much to choose from. You can either stop official training which means that your rank stays Initiate. You can join the seminary in the clergy or you can enter an apprenticeship. 2 and 3 can be simultaneously.
Or do you mean something different?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 1 month ago #319164 by
:) Thanks Adhara. I suppose I mean that the roles and responsibilities are explicitly clear (and you're right, the choices are few, so it SHOULD be easy) but for any individual they can be implicitly quite different.

In my understanding, an Initiate, explicitly, has a decent understanding of doctrine and may, or may not have taken the Simple Oath to commit to it while at the temple. The interpretation of "duties and responsibilities" could be quite varied however, and even someone who does not take the Simple Oath could have quite a detailed, implicit understanding of what that choice to remain as an Initiate means to them.

The responsibilities of a knight, in my view, are explicitly quite few, (Keep your oaths) but for each individual, again it can become quite a detailed thing - service in home communities, teaching responsibilities for apprentices ... list ...

The explicit responsibilities of the clergy are more complex, I won't pretend to be able to condense it; I'll rather wait for this chat - and hope that will be spelt out there; but again, the implicit nature of building your own personal form of ministry is quite detailed.

And this is all without even starting on what there might be "beyond the veil" you can't know enough about to have known you would have liked to have asked a question about it before you saw it :laugh:

The FAQs state "All oaths and vows must be made sincerely and knowingly with sufficient deliberation and due discernment" - I suppose I'm asking "How would you advise going about doing that?"

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 1 month ago #319256 by

Twigga wrote: The FAQs state "All oaths and vows must be made sincerely and knowingly with sufficient deliberation and due discernment" - I suppose I'm asking "How would you advise going about doing that?"

Long talks with trusted Jedi friends about where you see your Path taking you. ;) Keep in mind, too, that Path may wind up taking you somewhere you didn't expect when you set off. The Solemn Vow, for example, is at the end of Apprenticeship for a reason. None of these tracks are railroaded, and none of them are mutually exclusive.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi