The Duty to Act

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 6 months ago #301401 by
The Duty to Act was created by
With so much violence, corruption and suffering in the world, one of the questions that I often ask myself is, "How do I know when to act, and how?"

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 6 months ago #301402 by
Replied by on topic The Duty to Act
In my experience you will always ask that question. You can't always act. People have to learn to handle things themselves but at some point inaction makes you just as guilty as those who are doing the act. Usually I can feel something inside me that says "that's enough of that shit" and I do something.
If you can do something about it and no one else can or will, it might be your time to shine. Unfortunately its up to our individual judgement. I can only advise you to weigh your options well.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 6 months ago #301403 by
A Jedi knows when to act.

How to act though? However one can. I constantly keep an eye on those in power and am not afraid to make their corruption known. I use the power of my vote to root for the honest ones (prolly why whomever I vote for never wins).

In the end, the best thing you can do is spread light wherever you go, be the example and hope the world learns.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 6 months ago #301404 by
I just use my best judgement. If you can stop a situation from escalating, do so but if worse comes to worse, use what you know to help the weak.

I see this a lot in my store with kids bullying each other over stupid stuff. I usually let them do their thing until I see that the one who's being bullied has tried to make it stop and it doesn't. It's not only my job as a store employee but also my duty as a Jedi (and a person with common sense). I step in and do what I have to to make sure it doesn't reach a situation that can go out of hand quick (yes, I've stopped fights in the middle of my store....can you believe that??)

More
6 years 6 months ago #301405 by Kobos
Replied by Kobos on topic The Duty to Act
I know this echos almost everyone but how to act is based on the situation and whats in front of me....Some times it means I can't do much but the ripple effect still applies to that sometimes. Otherwise its based off of my moral perception of the situation and the information I can gather about it before I miss the window to have an effect.

What has to come ? Will my heart grow numb ?
How will I save the world ? By using my mind like a gun
Seems a better weapon, 'cause everybody got heat
I know I carry mine, since the last time I got beat
MF DOOM Books of War

Training Masters: Carlos.Martinez3 and JLSpinner
TB:Nakis
Knight of the Conclave
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eleven

More
6 years 6 months ago #301408 by Manu
Replied by Manu on topic The Duty to Act

Tzhar wrote: With so much violence, corruption and suffering in the world, one of the questions that I often ask myself is, "How do I know when to act, and how?"

There is no Duty. Duty is an illusion. There is only Will.

What do you want? Go get it done.

You will only learn "how" by experience. Overanalysing things will only get in your way. Go, do.

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 6 months ago #301409 by
My personal philosophy always leans toward inaction except in the case of defending those who are unable to defend themselves. I typically let others decide how they will handle a situation and I do the same myself, but when someone is threatened with violence, coercion, or is being compelled to do something they don't want to do by force, I will step in. I believe it is my duty as a Knight and as a decent human being to protect those who cannot protect themselves.

When it comes to politics and world events, this can be tricky, but I basically speak up when I see legislation or action by my government that is clearly meant to compel people to act in a way that is unjust. The current health care debate, the Muslim ban, denying transgender personnel from military service, and the recent threat to repeal DACA are all examples of legislation or executive actions in the U.S. that in my mind are unjust and require action on my part to defend those who are being directly targeted by these policies.

More
6 years 6 months ago #301411 by Breeze el Tierno
Replied by Breeze el Tierno on topic The Duty to Act

Tzhar wrote: With so much violence, corruption and suffering in the world, one of the questions that I often ask myself is, "How do I know when to act, and how?"

It's a layered question. How many well-intentioned, though wrong-headed, people have simply imposed their own egos on others because they knew best?

I generally keep myself to a few spheres of action:

I believe in keeping my own corner of the universe as tidy as I am able.
I believe in effective social participation.
I believe in world-betterment through self-improvement.
I believe in the power of the good example.

I choose a life and lifestyle wherein the care of others is central to my day. I actively protect and serve people on a daily basis. I see to their needs and I keep them safe. I may not be able to go off to other places and fight evil, but I choose to spend my day using what limited power I have taking care of the people within reach. I don't go hunting for wrong-doing, but I do my best to jump on it when I encounter it in practical terms.

I believe in participating in the needs and actions of my community. Some of this is just checking in on neighbors. Some of this is marching. Or delivering a eulogy. I try to do what I find to be necessary. I vote. I spread what I regard as useful information.

I believe that, if I am sincere in my pursuit of my Path, I will add, if only incrementally, to the light in the world.

I believe that if I do a good job, without making a great show of it (shut up, I am aware of the irony), if enough of us do, then the world improves. If we all raise the bar, the world improves. Of course, we will have differing ideas of what a raised bar means, but as long as we are human beings, there will be disagreement. One hopes it is civil.

I have nothing but my best judgment. Same as you. I limit myself to some things that I can be useful at. Otherwise, I fall into the trap of wanting to save everything and being of no particular use at all. I'd rather do a few things well than do everything barely at all.

How are you feeling, Tzhar? What brings this on?
The following user(s) said Thank You: rugadd, Kobos

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 6 months ago #301412 by
That's tough because so much is situational. Some intervention requires a more decisive and quick response, while others may allow some time to come up with a solution. When it comes to mitigating suffering and trying to help others, do what you can based on what's in front of you. When it comes to stopping violence, do what you can based on what's I front of you. Sometimes, there is wisdom in not doing anything at all. A lot of these decision making schemes come from our experiences. In time, you get better at making these kinds of judgements.

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #301413 by Lykeios Little Raven

Not sure if you're looking for a Jedi perspective on this...but I think I'll give my two cents anyway.

When to react? Well, in my experience many people tend to react only when they're directly affected by something. This is often when it is far too late to act. My best advice? Act now.

Proactive action is not reacting. Being proactive implies doing something about a perceived problem before it gets to the point where it affects you directly. I'd rather be proactive as much as possible and get out ahead of things before I am required to react to them. (Of course it is not always possible to anticipate what needs to be done, in those situations all you can really do is react.)

How should you react? (Because that's really what you're talking about here, reacting to "violence, corruption and suffering.") That's up to you. Some of us go out and protest. Some of us participate in street brawls against violence and hate (just absorb the irony there). Some of us spread information and facts that others refuse to disseminate. Some of us write blogs about the state of the world or make vlogs about it. Some of us do nothing. Etc. There are basically as many ways to react to these things you see in the world as there are people.

“Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man.” -Zhuangzi

“Though, as the crusade presses on, I find myself altogether incapable of staying here in saftey while others shed their blood for such a noble and just cause. For surely must the Almighty be with us even in the sundering of our nation. Our fight is for freedom, for liberty, and for all the principles upon which that aforementioned nation was built.” - Patrick “Madman of Galway” O'Dell
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by Lykeios Little Raven.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi