How the brain thinks and possible interference from...

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 8 months ago #297599 by
Here is what I have gleaned in the past few weeks about how the brain thinks. Stemming from years of observation, I reached a number of conclusions:

The brain loves the soul unconditionally.
The brain just wants to please the soul and others.
The brain copies everything it finds interesting.
Brains are in a lot of pain because of what I refer to in the next section of this topic.

Here's how I reached these conclusions: I was sleeping in a chair suffering from sleep apnea but finally provided with a CPAP machine ... so my dreams weren't quite as bad. During my dream, I dreamt all my neurons were finally getting along with each other and I had a song going through my head: "Don't Be So Hard On Yourself" by Jess Glynne. A beautiful song, house music. Highly recommended listen.

The lyrics go:
Don't be so hard on yourself no,
Learn to forgive, learn to let go.

I woke up at about 3 am and was in tears. I felt a good dosage of euphoria, and was overwhelmed with love for my brain, myself, and others.

So the second section of this topic is a bit darker. Why do people do bad things if the brain (and the soul) are both good, assuming so? I might be wrong but... logically than there must be some external thing that causes people to do bad stuff, and implants false thoughts. Sidenote. I forgive everyone now and am much happier that way.

So my reason for posting this is to encourage brainstorming, and to ask... and please, I would be really interested in your opinions, what external thing could this be, and do you believe it exists.

My thoughts have wandered as far as aliens. That would make humanity the victims instead of the perpetrators. Mind you, I am certain there are good aliens in this universe, I'm referring to a specific variety. Perhaps they unleashed a food-born mind control virus or something.

Yes this may seem a bit out there but I'm a very open-minded person. I figure interesting and new ideas can only help, not hurt right?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 8 months ago #297630 by Tellahane
Through meditation and other similar practices(as well as experiencing life pre and post cpap myself) I've kind of determined that the upper parts of the brain is purely a calculator, one side that handles things logically, the other that tries to figure out what can't be defined logically by creating emotions to fill in the blanks.

Both which silenced, or drowned out with other noises long enough helps you find your true self and desires, and also help you make clearer decisions.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 8 months ago #297695 by
My short answer would be there is no such thing as a separate discrete entity/substance/force (whatever you want to call it) that exists called evil. And there is no such thing as good either. Instead, there is only energy and that energy is just energy. It is neither good nor bad. We exist as creatures of this energy coalesced into matter in this reality and have at our disposal only action and consequence under the umbrella of free will. So it is in the intent in our actions alone that creates the perception of good and evil. Some action is constructive and some is destructive. But even these are not absolute because some constructive action can have devastating consequences. However that does not make these things something to avoid or detach from. In fact they are a necessary part of our reality that facilitates growth.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 8 months ago #297697 by
Free will and assumed beliefs, I suppose, are what I think causes most behaviors.

I don't believe in an outside influence on our thoughts such as the OP suggests.

More
6 years 8 months ago #297698 by Kobos

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: My short answer would be there is no such thing as a separate discrete entity/substance/force (whatever you want to call it) that exists called evil. And there is no such thing as good either. Instead, there is only energy and that energy is just energy. It is neither good nor bad. We exist as creatures of this energy coalesced into matter in this reality and have at our disposal only action and consequence under the umbrella of free will. So it is in the intent in our actions alone that creates the perception of good and evil. Some action is constructive and some is destructive. But even these are not absolute because some constructive action can have devastating consequences. However that does not make these things something to avoid or detach from. In fact they are a necessary part of our reality that facilitates growth.

Awesome Kyrin, I just wanted to ask though intentions or outcomes? Which is the true judge of our application of energy?

What has to come ? Will my heart grow numb ?
How will I save the world ? By using my mind like a gun
Seems a better weapon, 'cause everybody got heat
I know I carry mine, since the last time I got beat
MF DOOM Books of War

Training Masters: Carlos.Martinez3 and JLSpinner
TB:Nakis
Knight of the Conclave

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #297706 by

Kobos wrote:
Awesome Kyrin, I just wanted to ask though intentions or outcomes? Which is the true judge of our application of energy?

Good question and that is the very reason I used the term perception of Good or Evil. If one knows the intent under which the action occurred that can be judged one way... as Good, but if one is on the other side of that and saw only the outcome in which they were negatively affected because of an unforeseen consequence, that could be judged another way... as evil.

This is why morality is ultimately a subjective pursuit. (i.e. Natural law does not exist) It is based on the presuppositions that we as individuals care about well being and that we as individuals find inherent value in others. These are subjective presups. However if we as a species can begin to agree on these presups then our morality becomes an objective pursuit, albeit one that is always in flux. But even so, free will dictates that not all must follow this objective pursuit. And even if we do follow it, there are often times unintended consequences that result. This where restraint and patience become so important. If we agree to follow the pursuit of this objective morality we must also be intensely aware of the intentional and the potentially unintentional consequences of our actions.
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by .

More
6 years 8 months ago #297711 by Kobos

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

Kobos wrote:

Good question and that is the very reason I used the term perception of Good or Evil. If one knows the intent under which the action occurred that can be judged one way... as Good, but if one is on the other side of that and saw only the outcome in which they were negatively affected because of an unforeseen consequence, that could be judged another way... as evil.

This is why morality is ultimately a subjective pursuit. (i.e. Natural law does not exist) It is based on the presuppositions that we as individuals care about well being and that we as individuals find inherent value in others. These are subjective presups. However if we as a species can begin to agree on these presups then our morality becomes an objective pursuit, albeit one that is always in flux. But even so, free will dictates that not all must follow this objective pursuit. And even if we do follow it, there are often times unintended consequences that result. This where restraint and patience become so important. If we agree to follow the pursuit of this objective morality we must also be intensely aware of the intentional and the potentially unintentional consequences of our actions.

Awesome Kryin, thank you that was an awesome answer and sheds some light on something I was recently thinking about :)

What has to come ? Will my heart grow numb ?
How will I save the world ? By using my mind like a gun
Seems a better weapon, 'cause everybody got heat
I know I carry mine, since the last time I got beat
MF DOOM Books of War

Training Masters: Carlos.Martinez3 and JLSpinner
TB:Nakis
Knight of the Conclave
The following user(s) said Thank You: ,

More
6 years 8 months ago #297789 by Gisteron

nightrider123 wrote: Here is what I have gleaned in the past few weeks about how the brain thinks. Stemming from years of observation, I reached a number of conclusions:

The brain loves the soul unconditionally.
The brain just wants to please the soul and others.
The brain copies everything it finds interesting.
Brains are in a lot of pain because of what I refer to in the next section of this topic.

Here's how I reached these conclusions: I was sleeping in a chair suffering from sleep apnea but finally provided with a CPAP machine ... so my dreams weren't quite as bad. During my dream, I dreamt all my neurons were finally getting along with each other and I had a song going through my head: "Don't Be So Hard On Yourself" by Jess Glynne. A beautiful song, house music. Highly recommended listen.

I'm confused. Have you reached these conclusions by means of years of observation or by means of a CPAP machine? If it's the latter there is nothing to add, but if it is the former, I'd be curious to learn what it is you were observing that led you to conclude this rather intriguing model where the soul exists and has a special relationship with the brain and where neurons can get along as if they each on their own were like people...

Why do people do bad things if the brain (and the soul) are both good, assuming so? I might be wrong but... logically than there must be some external thing that causes people to do bad stuff, and implants false thoughts.

Again, I'd be interested to see that logical argument. It is definitely not trivial, because you can, as a matter of fact, mix perfectly benign ingredients into a poison. Just because the brain and the soul are both good (what ever that means) doesn't mean that bad must therefore stem from something else, at least it doesn't follow like that immediately. But maybe I haven't thought of the steps that bridge the premises to the conclusion here, so please, if you can, do present them.

Mind you, I am certain there are good aliens in this universe...

Why? Also, what do you mean by "good"?

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #298191 by

Again, I'd be interested to see that logical argument. It is definitely not trivial, because you can, as a matter of fact, mix perfectly benign ingredients into a poison. Just because the brain and the soul are both good (what ever that means) doesn't mean that bad must therefore stem from something else, at least it doesn't follow like that immediately. But maybe I haven't thought of the steps that bridge the premises to the conclusion here, so please, if you can, do present them.

Mind you, I am certain there are good aliens in this universe...

Why? Also, what do you mean by "good"?

The cpap machine was something external and fixing that helped my brain. Why can't there be other external things that hurt the brain or force it to do things it does not want to do? Why did Jesus say "forgive them, for they know not what they do?"

Mind you, I believe in the Force, I'm not a Christian, but I also am a weird mixture in a way because I wear a cross and respect Jesus. But thats just a side-note.

But my logic is weird. I've noticed that often times the subconscious fights for preserving the brain in strange ways, and one of the ways my subconscious did that was by forcing me to keep thinking about the possibility of an alien virus for quite a long time. Now I finally don't think that I'm "crazy" but I've realized I might just be on to something. A virus would be a great way to mind control. Especially a food-born one. By good I mean; not the ones that would try to control humans.
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by . Reason: Because it only had a quote I had to fix that.

More
6 years 7 months ago #298468 by Gisteron
Oh, I must have misread. It looked to me like by your estimation, logically there must be an external cause of bad behaviour, but of course you only meant that there could be. My apologies.

There are many ways to mind control people, and few of them make it a profitable enterprise to anything, but what would be kinda convenient has no bearing on what is or is not the case. I am rather certain that there exist viruses of different effects on earth, evolved to exploit the life they plague because lineages that don't tend not to stay around for very long. I have no information pertaining to the existence of alien viruses, much less any that evolved specifically to aid someone's quest to control specifically human brains and also with the very specific spreading strategy via food. I am not even aware of any selective pressures that would push for such development, and particularly the food-borne part sounds like a rather inconvenient adaptation, considering that people usually don't throw up their food for someone else to eat it. But, again, I don't know, I'm neither a biologist, nor an astronomer. Of course it is also conceivable that something so awkward would come about artificially, by someone's design, but that's just raising more questions than it answers...
So you said you were certain that there are good aliens in this universe. What convinced you?

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi