My name is Alex : Ask Me Anything

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 1 month ago #318434 by
Replied by on topic My name is Alex : Ask Me Anything
I just noticed that you used it more often lately and was curious where the term came from. I always have to smile when I read it. It is seldom that German words find their way into international usage.
And no, I don't think that this is cheating, I'd use the word, too, in German though ;)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 1 month ago #318435 by Alexandre Orion
When I use it, it is still in German ... :P

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img

More
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #318439 by Locksley
Hi, Alex.
Who/what is your favorite mythological figure?

We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile, and nothing can grow there. Too much, the best of us is washed away. -- J. Michael Straczynski, Babylon 5

Last edit: 6 years 1 month ago by Locksley.

More
6 years 1 month ago #318444 by Alexandre Orion

Locksley wrote: Hi, Alex.
Who/what is your favorite mythological figure?

Thank you, Locksley, that is indeed an intriguing question. Off-hand, I have for a very long time - since I was a teen-ager - been very moved by the myth of Ganymede. But then, myths aren't really about preferences. They are to guide us when we need guidance, comfort us when we need comfort and lend us strength on the subconscious level when everything on the superficial conscious level is thoroughly absurd (which is quite often, actually...).

The archetype of the Hero is essentially what we were just talking about with the term Dasein - a time-bound being in/with the world (although, the "with" part is Mitsein). The heroic cycle is about the meeting with or the actualised/individuated Self - Dasein becoming Mitsein. And there are lots of mythological figures that take up that motif. As explained elsewhere, the myth of Ganymede is one of transcendence. There is Luke Skywalker and Anakin Skywalker, but also Seigfried, but also Dorothy in the Wisard of Oz, of Belle in Beauty and the Beast (La Belle et la BĂȘte), of Jonah, of Daniel, of Gilgamesh, of Ulysses ...

My favourite one would have to be the one helping me out at the time -- but since it is on the subconscious level, I may not know I'm being helped nor who my "favourite" mythological figure would presently be.

On quite another level, my absolute favourite mythological figure is writing a book downstairs and may be getting hungry. I ought to get dinner started ... :)

~ David Hume

~ Henri Bergson
[img
The following user(s) said Thank You: Locksley

More
6 years 1 month ago #319018 by Alexandre Orion
Uhm ... No. One ought not to clean up vomit with the hoover ... :dry:

~ David Hume

~ Henri Bergson
[img

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi