Mind>Body

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 10 months ago #284586 by
Mind>Body was created by
Do you believe one should master their body before they can truly optimize their mind? The mind controls the actions of the body, but the body reflects the state of mind. There is mediation in yoga, calisthenics, pumping iron, and sports. I personally believe conquering one's physical goals will have a profound, positive effect on their mental state.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 10 months ago #284588 by Codama
Replied by Codama on topic Mind>Body
I wouldn't say one SHOULD master body before mind... as an absolute order. But, They really go hand and hand. A healthy body leads to fewer physical distractions for ones mind. The more relaxed the body the easier it is to tame the mind. And vice versa, with the proper mindset and state, a person can create the neccesary phisical practices to better their body.

I do know some people (as we all) who aren't in the best of health and possibly not able to depend on their physical bodies for strentgh or comfort due to illness, pain or impairment, yet who move in very intuitive or enlightned mind states.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos

More
6 years 10 months ago #284591 by Manu
Replied by Manu on topic Mind>Body
What exactly does a mastered body look like? Because if I my nose itches, I direct my hand to scratch it. Is that mastery?

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward
The following user(s) said Thank You: Amaya, OB1Shinobi, Kobos

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 10 months ago #284594 by
Replied by on topic Mind>Body
I've known some people that lost the use of their bodies. They then go on to master their mind, because that's all they have left. They cannot master their bodies, but they can master their minds.

On the flipside, I know one person who is ripped, super fit, arms twice the size of my legs each. But dim as a burnt bulb at midnight.

Both mind and body can be trained, and if you can work both I would recommend doing so. But ensure you don't overtrain one and forget about the other.

More
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #284595 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic Mind>Body
It could be that mind is a function of the body. Just like we call our legs "legs" we also call our mind "mind" but its still our body. A "tool" that our body uses to survive. Maybe.

EDIT
in before Gisteron :P

People are complicated.
Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by OB1Shinobi.

More
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #284596 by Gisteron
Replied by Gisteron on topic Mind>Body
How does the mind control the actions of the body? From what I can tell the mind is a function of the body. No, that opinion is not an incontroversial one, of course, but those who contest it tend to do so on the grounds of their anthropological concerns, never on medical ones...

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned
Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by Gisteron.

More
6 years 10 months ago #284597 by Zenchi
Replied by Zenchi on topic Mind>Body

Gisteron wrote: How does the mind control the actions of the body? From what I can tell the mind [b}is[/b} a function of the body. No, that opinion is not an incontroversial one, of course, but those who contest it tend to do so on the grounds of their anthropological concerns, never on medical ones...

Asana yoga, it's good for stuff n things...

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos

More
6 years 10 months ago #284602 by Kobos
Replied by Kobos on topic Mind>Body
A mastered body looks like mine : ) To be honest though I think there is a certain control that is parallel for each. The mind controls the body, the body feeds the mind. Focus on an individual task and you'll see both connect as one that would be as close to mastery as I think can exist. Otherwise realize that the mind and body are the same.

What has to come ? Will my heart grow numb ?
How will I save the world ? By using my mind like a gun
Seems a better weapon, 'cause everybody got heat
I know I carry mine, since the last time I got beat
MF DOOM Books of War

Training Masters: Carlos.Martinez3 and JLSpinner
TB:Nakis
Knight of the Conclave
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 10 months ago #284609 by
Replied by on topic Mind>Body
What do we think "Mastery" actually means? At least in the context of mastering a body or a mind?

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi