Why does it matter if Tim Farron thinks being gay is a sin?

More
6 years 11 months ago #281340 by Brick
Regarding this article on the Telegraph Website: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/04/19/absolute-disgrace-tim-farron-fire-refusing-answer-asked-gay/

Warning: Spoiler!

I was curious to know what people here thought, particularly those among us that are members of the LGBT Community?

Now he has eventually, given in to peer pressure and said that he does NOT think that being gay is a sin. But even if he'd thought it was, why should that matter?

We don't live in a Orwellian society, we don't have Thought Police that control what we think. We're entitled to have our own opinions, even if other people disagree with them. He is perfectly OK to think that being gay is a sin.

We also have free speech in this country, so not only is he allowed to think that being gay is a sin, he is also allowed to say that.

But he hasn't said that. He simply refused to comment on a theological topic, that he did not deem himself qualified enough to comment on. And because of that, he's branded an 'absolute disgrace', a 'bigot', and a 'homophobe'. And that gets me onto my main point.

What has he done that's bigoted? What has he done that's homophobic?

He hasn't attacked anyone, either verbally or physically. He hasn't harassed or caused distress to anyone. He hasn't infringed upon anyone rights.

For me, this line is key - “As a liberal, I’m passionate about equality, and equal marriage, about equal rights for LGBT people, for fighting not just for LGBT rights in this country, but overseas.”

So even if he did think it was a sin, he's taken an Evelyn Beatrice Hall stance of 'I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it' attitude.

I guess my real question is why were celebrities, politicians, the media, and members of the public so appalled by what he said?

Apprentice to Maitre Chevalier Jedi Alexandre Orion

Moderator | Welcome Team | IP Team

IP Journal | IP Journal 2 | AP Journal | Open Journal

'The only contest any of us should be engaged in is with ourselves, to be better than yesterday'

- Knight Senan
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rex

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 11 months ago #281342 by
I'm a big believer in the seperation of church and state. Sin (being a faith thing) should really not be brought up in state on any level. As long as he does his job and does not allow his views to be clouded by prejudice he is fine in my books. Once he allows whatever views he has on the LGBTQ+ community to influence him, then we will have an issue.

In the end, his views shouldn't matter, as long as he does his job and doesn't allow faith to get in the way of his duty.

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
6 years 11 months ago #281343 by ren
Because that's what they do? Welcome to the feminist society, where cackling like a fishwife is the norm instead of something to feel sorry for.

Anyway. Some people believe it's a sin because it's their religion. Some people believe it's not a sin, and some people (Like the gay church of gayness?) believe it's god's first commandment.

So even if he did think it was a sin, he's taken an Evelyn Beatrice Hall stance of 'I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it' attitude.

Who would have thought there are people in the english-speaking world who not only call themselves liberals, but practice actual liberalism as well!

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brick,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 11 months ago #281345 by
Very strong of you to allow someone to have an opinion even though you dont agree with it.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 11 months ago #281346 by
The only influence religion should have on government is through the guidance of our morals.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 11 months ago #281347 by

JLSpinner wrote: The only influence religion should have on government is through the guidance of our morals.

Nope ..common sense and reason will do ....not that i dont like the Ten Commandments but i think the neighbours cow should make up her own mind by now :P

More
6 years 11 months ago #281349 by Brick

Calan wrote: Very strong of you to allow someone to have an opinion even though you dont agree with it.

Does that require strength? or just indifference?

Apprentice to Maitre Chevalier Jedi Alexandre Orion

Moderator | Welcome Team | IP Team

IP Journal | IP Journal 2 | AP Journal | Open Journal

'The only contest any of us should be engaged in is with ourselves, to be better than yesterday'

- Knight Senan
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 11 months ago #281351 by
I think it will matter to some people what this guy thinks and that's fine it doesn't matter to me if he thinks its a sin or not. Being also a member of the LGBT community and being raised by super religious parents I had to work through what i thought and be guided by the force to answer that for myself ever since that experience it has never really mattered to me how others feel about it.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 11 months ago #281354 by
Thank you. I see that It takes maturity to accept anthers opinions if they differ from your own. It takes balance to see that the Force creates diversity, and it takes fearlessness to remain peaceful and accepting in such a diverse and sometimes violent environment. All this together is strength.

More
6 years 11 months ago #281356 by MadHatter
I don't care what he thinks, what he says or how he feels. He could say he thinks it's a sin and finds me abominable. So long as he continues to let me live my life without government interference then I am all good. Frankly, I think too many people let emotions influence how they react to particular opinions. Opinions will not go away because we attack them. In fact, all you do is drive it underground and deepen the dislike. That only leads to festering which is far more dangerous than open debate.

Knight of the Order
Training Master: Jestor
Apprentices: Lama Su, Leah
Just a pop culture Jedi doing what I can
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brick, Rex, , ZealotX

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi