"It's Time For The Jedi To End" The Last Jedi Trailer

More
7 years 1 week ago #281034 by ZealotX
Fantastic trailer, leading to a very interesting statement and speculations about what it means.

I think the gray speculation is very likely.

I do have to say though that Luke's training was very.... 'short'. When we talk about Luke as a Jedi it's mostly his connection to the force and his power. Maybe he was more powerful because he wasn't taken as a child and raised in the Jedi order. Yoda never imposed on him any Jedi restrictions. It was mostly about the need to confront himself and not follow the path of his father. One of the interesting things about being human is that we resemble our parents in more than just physical appearance. We take a lot from our parents, both good and bad. And if they have unresolved issues then it is more likely that we'll have to deal with them or risk passing them on with each generation having an opportunity to balance the equation left by their parents.

Often we over react to the fear that our children wont grow up right and we use the same disciplinary tactics our parents used. But that over reaction can create new issues or resurrect old ones. So even if we aren't passing on the same issues, we may be passing on other ones to replace them.

We know that at some point Luke walked away. Luke was extremely powerful but what I personally don't know is how he was "as a parent" or mentor. What unresolved issues did Luke have? Issues with his father? Perhaps he passed down these issues to his students. Perhaps Ben was passed down unresolved issues from Han Solo; the same issues that kept Han Solo single, and therefore the same issues that destroyed him at the hands of his own son.

Star Wars isn't just light and dark. Light and dark are only tools to solve problems created by all these unresolved issues. But does the force actually resolve those issues? Or did the Jedi only deal with the symptoms of all these issues? Did the dogmatic zeal of those taking great leaps to represent the light, simply create darkness by envisioning light in only the strictest of terms; terms under which not everyone could live with. I kind of think that Luke discovered this "unholy" history of the Jedi and the fact that the Jedi created the Sith* as we know it. ...That if it wasn't for the Jedi, the need for the Jedi would be limited because the biggest threats to the galaxy have been the result of the Jedi creating the Sith.

But then again...

The Sith Order was basically destroyed with Vader. Because Vader killed Sidious and was redeemed back to the light, this had the potential to bring balance to the force except that Luke, following the tradition of the Jedi, tried to create more. The fact that any of his students were seduced to the Dark Side meant that he failed which is made him the threat to the Galaxy which is why he isolated himself. Perhaps this is the same reason Yoda isolated himself instead of trying to train more Jedi to defeat the Emperor. Or maybe not. But it seems like if the Sith are going away and being replaced by a new threat (whatever Snoke is turning Kylo Ren into) then perhaps Disney is creating a new order of "Jedi" that are not the old Jedi order, but are rather more like the guardians of the Whills. I don't know. It's hard to imagine such a change in the Star Wars universe when it kind of mirrors the reality of the human condition and these problems that we clearly haven't solved. Either way it goes I'm excited to see what happens next.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 1 week ago #281042 by ZealotX
After watching the trailer a few more times I wouldn't be surprised if this is what Luke says early in the movie before he starts training Rey; before she convinces Luke that the Jedi are needed.

More
7 years 1 week ago #281047 by Albali Cometlast
Great trailer, don't really know if Jedi are going to end, but certainly this movie is going to explain more about the early days of the jedi, they are at the first jedi temple and show an old book of the jedi.

is going to be fun to try to understand this first jedi knights, their teachings and understand why the Jedi in the movies are almost over, and also compare what where the changes of actual jedi with them

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 1 week ago #281063 by
Okay, so being me I've watched the trailer ~30 times.

I know, I'm working on my procrastination issues, just you wait and see!

It appears to me, if I can theorize again, that this trailer is in reverse order of the events that will actually happen.

So in reverse order we will see this.

1) Luke refusing to train Rey, stating its time for the Jedi to end (maybe fearing the same end for them as the last batch)
2) Rey training herself on a mountainside as Luke looks on, still not training her, more observing (perhaps gaining hope (New Hope?))
3) Rey in a crevice facing the ocean. I think this may be a trial or a vision. We will see.
4) Rey emerging from what appears to be a cave, on her knees and dripping in sweat. I feel this cave may be akin to what we see on Dagobah, presenting her with a vision of sorts (the aforementioned point?). I think this may be the point where Luke will deem her worthy of training.

Again, perhaps just too much speculation on my part.

More
7 years 1 week ago - 7 years 1 week ago #281066 by JamesSand
I'm not too fussed with what happens to who, but if the new series is going to follow the guide of the original trilogy - presumably the "bad guys win" in the upcoming movie, so by the end of TLJ Finn should be incarcerated somewhere, Rey will have half-done her training and have to choose between the galaxy and her friends, and[strike] Kylo will be revealed as Rey's father[/strike] some other reveal will happen (someone's father, surely), with the First Order on the "front foot" until we all come back for the next episode and hand them some whoop ass and have a party in the forest.

Edit: Looking forward to Daisy's best Mark Hamill circa 1980s impression "I warn you not to underestimate my power." *casually force chokes some nameless henchmen*

Edit 2: Oh wait, that's the next one. Uhh. Looking forward to Rey losing a limb then.
Last edit: 7 years 1 week ago by JamesSand.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 1 week ago #281070 by
I think we are all going to die ..ah well

Warning: Spoiler!

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi