The Gospel Story Quiz

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #282018 by
Replied by on topic The Gospel Story Quiz

ZealotX wrote:

Arisaig wrote:

ZealotX wrote: This is genius. I knew what they were doing a few questions in but I finished it anyway. I think this is probably the best way to showcase the contradictions.

I did the entire test as well. I was unaware of contradictions within the test or the source material. Please, what do you see as a contradiction within the test?

For each question asked, BOTH answers were true. So if you answered A they would say incorrect and give you the verse that supports answer B. This is possible because the bible itself is loaded with contradictions. It's just that most people don't know them. Those that know some don't care or find different ways to justify it. So yeah, just to make sure I took the test twice and gave the opposite answer which they said was incorrect. So because both answers are right both answers are also wrong. Whichever you pick they'll just use the opposite answer to tell you you're wrong. Good thinking exercise.

again... I think it's genius.

So because both answers were correct, its an exercise in contradictions? Perhaps both answers were correct without contradicting the other.

Example, one of the questions was “How did Judas kill himself?”
Answers available:
He jumped off a cliff.
He hung himself.

His place of death has been a well known location of ages. It’s the field he bought with the money he got to betray Jesus. On it is a cliff, commonly known as a place people go to both hang themselves and jump to their death? How is this accomplished? There are many trees that hang over the edge of the cliff. They jump, hanging themselves from a rope. It has been observed that sometimes the branches don’t hold, and you end up hanging for a bit before falling to your death.

Another is “Who was Joseph’s grand-father?”

In many cultures, including Joseph’s, when you marry into a family their family becomes yours. So he has two grandfathers, his biological, and his wife Mary’s grandfather.

Honestly, I’ve explored many faiths. Christianity is so far one of the few I’ve found with no contradictions. Now yes, you state “Those that know some don’t care or find different way to justify it.” I’m not justifying it with feelings, I’m justifying with known facts.

I do agree that the test is genius. Personally sent it to a bunch of my know-it-all Christian friends and watched them rage (I love to watch the world burn from time to time :3). But it is not genius for pointing out the contradicitons, just for showing that many people don't do enough research or just view part of the whole.
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 11 months ago #282041 by ZealotX
Replied by ZealotX on topic The Gospel Story Quiz

It’s the field he bought with the money he got to betray Jesus.

did he buy it? Or did the priests buy it?

In some cases 2 answers can both be right without contradiction. In others they can't. The problem is that the gospels are reported and written by people associated with the disciples/apostles but weren't necessarily the same men. So this fact introduces the possibility for a lot of errors and mistakes, not purposefully so, but mistakes nonetheless. Who Joseph's grandfather is could be a matter of interpretation or it could just be wrong. I say this only because the Israelites (at this time) traced their lineage through the father. The purpose of even including the lineage of Joseph was to trace the lineage of Yeshua (Jesus) through the correct Davidic line because a lot of people wanted him to be the messiah. The problem is that messiah, in their culture, meant he was the rightful heir to the the throne of David. Messiah ("christ") simply meant anointed, which is how their kings were chosen. This isn't a problem except that there were many zealots during that time, who, because they wanted freedom from Rome, were willing to lie and whatever else in order to create a leader for the people to rally behind. I believe they tried this with Yeshua and it didn't work out. I think Judas was part of that plot but it was foiled by the Jews and he was executed for sedition but was later used as a martyr which may have also allowed the gospels to take on a more mythological slant.

Funny thing is I see the whole of Christianity as an ironic contradiction and one of the worst religions on the planet. Not as people, mind you. Just as a religion.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi