[Project Seeking Submissions] Jedi in the Real World

More
7 years 2 months ago #273007 by Tellahane
So I'm looking to start into a new project, and that project is to cover something that really not a lot of Jedi like to talk about and that is what we do as Jedi outside of the temple/online communities etc. I've brought this up in conversation before with a number of people and there are a few issues which I will get into shortly.

For now I'm trying to collect submissions, preferably a couple paragraphs worth from any and all Jedi both here and from any other community(though I don't have a presence in any other community so for those who do and want to spread the word feel free) about what one does in their personal lives as Jedi for their communities or for their acts of selfless-ness.

For example, if you spend time volunteering somewhere, I would like to hear about it, if you spend time going around picking up trash in the park, if you choose a job that takes care of others specifically because that's what you wanted to do, things of that nature. Basically anything that you do that you feel is Jedi-Like outside of your online environment, write a couple paragraphs about it and send it to me. I would also like to hear or see some additional writing if you have any struggles, or things that make it hard for you to do what you do, or what challenges you had to meet in order to allow yourself to do what you do etc.

My goal is I'm hoping to get enough submissions to create either a large pdf, or even possibly a book that literally just covers what everyone does and gives an example of What Jedi do for our communities and our world and our lives. I know the complication of gloating comes up so my plan is to put every submission on its own page or own section, and not author who did what, but create a list at the end of the pdf/book of people who submitted entries unless they want to remain completely anonymous. By putting this document/book together its a way of showing not only what we do, but also as inspiration to newer Jedi, or Jedi who are looking for some good idea's/examples of what they could do for their own communities and so on. It's not something where we are seeking glory or thanks or pats on our backs, but as a useful document for those coming into our online Jedi communities that we aren't just the armchair Jedi we sometimes look like we are ;)

So if you are interested in doing so, please either send me a PM, or Email(tellahane@gmail.com) of the following format:

-Name you wish to be referred to by(either real name or online name)
-Whether you wish to be completely anonymous or not
-2-5 paragraph essay of what you do as a Jedi outside of your online presence
--If possible also include any difficulties or challenges you had to meet, such as training, practice, licensing, time management issues and so on(as a way to show dedication).

My Ideal goal is to hit between 100-150 entries, which may require participation from the other communities we will see. It can be as committed as working in health care to as simple as spending an hour a month helping out for some charity or whatever. In fact I'm hoping for that wide range of possibilities so there are some easy things people can do and some committed things people might be interested in doing and so forth.

There is no time limit on when these need submitted I will just keep seeking submissions until I feel I have plenty to put something together. Also if you can, try and keep it to within the last couple years say 2015 and on. I will not edit your entries other then to fix grammer as needed, if I feel something needs re-worded I will respond back and ask accordingly, and probably only if it sounds confusing or just needs to be described more simply etc. Remember the idea is to be inspirational!

Thank you in advance for any and all submissions! If it does go out as a book, yes all proceeds will go to a charity of some kind I will not be pocketing any coin!

P.S. Alethea I may be bugging you after awhile for advice I know a number of people use createspace(I never have), should I go down that road ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alethea Thompson, Breeze el Tierno, Loudzoo

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 2 months ago #273009 by Tellahane
Also to add, if you do multiple things, please separate them out as multiple submissions!

And if all you have is like a once a year helping a big fundraiser type thing, thats perfectly fine to it doesn't have to be a weekly daily hourly thing write about that!

More
7 years 2 months ago #273168 by Tellahane
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brenna, Loudzoo

More
7 years 2 months ago #273248 by Tellahane
I want to add in if you want a custom title for your story feel free to include that as well, since each story is its own "chapter" in essence, if you don't submit one I try and come up with one as close to or related to your story as possible!

More
7 years 2 months ago #273270 by Tellahane
I now have a total of 5 submissions, totaling a length of 16 pages in my word document. Some really good stuff, looking for a lot more though, don't be afraid to submit!

More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #273344 by Tellahane
To share an answer to someones question "Is the separate submissions a hard fast rule":
(meaning if you can't really write enough to make a small thing its own submission, so lumping it with a big thing as one submission)

no its not a firm rule by any means, the reason I ask for it is because by separating its a way of showing even though one jedi can commit a lot of time and effort into doing a profession or career of helping others which is a big thing, maybe someone else can just help by only doing a small thing.... I'm hoping that makes a little more sense.

In either case it doesn't have to be separate if you don't feel you can separate it it, not like I'm gonna dismiss or dock points or anything silly like that. Just a preference if at all possible.

The end-game goals are to show that we do things outside of online, and we can also inspire others to do things even if its only a small thing, or that we can commit to the really big things.

P.S. I'm loving reading these submissions as they come in and I think this is going to be, and already is a fantastic project to have the privilege of working on ;) Keep em coming!
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by Tellahane.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Loudzoo

More
7 years 2 months ago #273539 by Tellahane

More
7 years 1 month ago #274378 by Tellahane
Still holding at 5 submissions, I know of about 4 that are still in the works, don't feel rushed! Again there is no deadline going to be doing updates probably once a week or so.

More
7 years 1 month ago #275080 by Tellahane

More
7 years 1 month ago #276566 by Tellahane
No additional submissions so far, just wanted to say this is still an ongoing project and anyone is welcome to submit something at any time! even if its months down the road!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Amaya

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi