The Jedi Path

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 2 months ago #271719 by
The Jedi Path was created by
There is an interactive book on the iBooks store called "The Jedi Path" ( LINK ). I am sure some of you have read it in its entirety in your pursuit to further your knowledge on Jediism.

For those that have not, I highly recommend that you buy and read this book if you can. The interactive elements, as well as a lot of visual aids, makes the read very enjoyable even for those (like myself) that aren't big fans of heavy reading. It really is one of the most enjoyable ways to learn about Jediism that I have come across. So please, if you haven't already, read it. You will be glad you did.

The book offers a lot of insight into Jediism as well as some interesting information on a galaxy far far away that we all know and love.

For those that have read it, what did you think about it?
If you are debating whether to read it or not, what is motivating or keeping you?

If you start reading it, feel free to leave comments on the material here as you go along. Much like you do with your Journals for the IP. I would love to hear your thoughts and offer whatever I can in response.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 2 months ago #271790 by
Replied by on topic The Jedi Path
Now that is a book I've been dying to get my hands on! It teaches you many of the principles and understanding of the jedi way! It's something I need XD

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 2 months ago #271792 by
I have it and have read it several times.

I enjoy it immensely as a piece of Star Wars fiction, and admittedly it was what first started me thinking about studying "The Jedi Path" in the real world before I knew Jediism existed. Also, the lights and sounds box was fun the first few times and then I just left the book out because it was too much hassle.

In my opinion though, while the basic principles of being a Jedi in it are sound (namely that all things are connected through the force), they are too entrenched in the fictional Star Wars universe to be of any practicality for studying in the real world much beyond the idea of daily exercise, meditation and study.

If you love Star Wars and you want an entertaining read, I say go for it. If you want to learn Jediism, stick to the IP.

More
7 years 2 months ago #271793 by Kit
Replied by Kit on topic The Jedi Path
Honestly, I've read through most of it and although I enjoyed the fictional details in it, I found it wasn't very beneficial to my daily practice. I love the look of it though. It hung out on my nightstand for a while.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Alexandre Orion, Avalon, Brick

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 2 months ago #271819 by
I use The Jedi Path as a guide for some of my lectures at Just Jedi :) Its a good book. One just has to look between the lines :)

More
7 years 2 months ago #271822 by J. K. Barger
Replied by J. K. Barger on topic The Jedi Path
there is a 200-level course over at the Institute for Jedi Realist Studies that is basically a walkthough or bookstudy for TJP.

Maybe we could get it over here since so many folks have been mentioning it?

The Force is with you, always.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 2 months ago #271826 by

J. K. Barger wrote: there is a 200-level course over at the Institute for Jedi Realist Studies that is basically a walkthough or bookstudy for TJP.

Maybe we could get it over here since so many folks have been mentioning it?

Id be interested in seeing it (without having to jump through the course hoops) but dont think schools should cross over ike that. I think it would be more beneficial for students to actually go to Ifjrs and take the course there. seperatly.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #272065 by
Response to Menbl: It is a great, fun read. Highly recommend you get it.

Dano Ori said:

I enjoy it immensely as a piece of Star Wars fiction, and admittedly it was what first started me thinking about studying "The Jedi Path" in the real world before I knew Jediism existed.

Same here, so I am immensely thankful for the book and whoever took the time to make it.

In my opinion though, while the basic principles of being a Jedi in it are sound (namely that all things are connected through the force), they are too entrenched in the fictional Star Wars universe to be of any practicality for studying in the real world much beyond the idea of daily exercise, meditation and study.

I think it is crucial that we never forget where the idea of Jediism and all that has sprung from it originated. This all came from Star Wars and though it is important that we separate what is applicable and what is not we must remember that Jediism and Star Wars are linked and always will be.

If you love Star Wars and you want an entertaining read, I say go for it. If you want to learn Jediism, stick to the IP.

I have a fundamental issue with this statement. The first sentence is fine. I would say most of us love Star Wars and thus would/should read The Jedi Path for that reason alone. However, there is no one source for Jediism. If there is one source it is Star Wars, as I mentioned above. Sure, the IP is a phenomenal way to learn and understand many fundamental principles that are helpful for any Jedi (I would even argue it would be helpful for anyone, not just Jedi). Though, it is one way to learn about Jediism. No matter how great it is, it alone would not yield a great Jedi. Jedi should seek knowledge from many sources. The Jedi Path is one of the better sources, much like the IP.

Response to Kit: refer to Trisskar's post (below).

Trisskar said:

I use The Jedi Path as a guide for some of my lectures at Just Jedi. Its a good book. One just has to look between the lines

Exactly Trisskar. That way of going about things will always yield better knowledge. It is important to realize that though something might be fiction, it was not written to be discarded as such (something that is stressed in the IP). There is a useful meaning, as you say, "between the lines".

Response to J. K. Barger: I think that is a great idea. That was the intention of this post.

Response to Trisskar (second post): A school can learn from another school. Just as a teacher can learn from another teacher or even a student. I think any materials being transferred should be examined to make sure they are of use. However, just because it is material from a different school does not mean it can not be used here. Divisiveness will get us nowhere.
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by . Reason: Formatting uniformity

More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #272067 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic The Jedi Path

Anison wrote: I think it is crucial that we never forget where the idea of Jediism and all that has sprung from it originated. This all came from Star Wars...

Perhaps, but following that logic we must remember where Jedi (and Star Wars) themselves came from, which was a combination of Eastern philosophies (and samurai films) and Campbell's writings, both things which didn't spring forth from Star Wars, and are taught here (to varying degrees.)
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by steamboat28.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kit, Avalon, Zenchi, Loudzoo

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 2 months ago #272073 by
We always need to keep in mind that major portions of the lore or Star Wars is created as a (science) fictional entertainment and thus not based on or in reality. Its great to debate plots and characters and acting prowess in the movies and the subsequent works of fiction themselves and its even ok to use some of their concepts that speak to us personally as a source of inspiration to more deeply explore ourselves, but they should not be taken as the singular source to define a real life spirituality.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi