Stop pretending there’s a difference between “online” and “real life”

More
7 years 4 months ago #267486 by Edan

JamesSand wrote: For all the security systems and FaNcI$!@Aw0rbZ - With your full name and date of birth, a persuasive person can shit-talk their way through the customer service rep on the other end of the phone.

Most people don't bother, because the effort/risk/reward is no where near as good as running programmes and bulk online data theft activities - but don't ever feel secure.

As they say, 'locks are to keep honest people out'. The precautions I take are because I don't feel secure!

It won't let me have a blank signature ...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 4 months ago #267492 by OB1Shinobi
online is a sub category of real life

some of us might do our best to present ourselves honestly but theres a whole world of nuance that fails to cross the textual divide aka we are divided by these screens and its not possible to really see each other through the medium of text

so when people misjudge you, its not even YOU theyre misjudging, its their conceptualization of you which is even more limited than it would be Face2Face

ive found online to be great practice for letting peoples opinions of me not matter

ive gotten better at responding to peoples negativity without it really getting to me

its real but you have to be careful not to think you really understand

People are complicated.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi