How Technology Disrupted the Truth

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #248690 by
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/jul/12/how-technology-disrupted-the-truth

A piece about how technology and information shape political decisions (such as Brexit and the rise of Trump). I've recently pretty much abandoned Facebook (which I used almost exclusively for news), out of consideration of this echo-chamber effect.

TL;DR: We do what we like, social media allows us to be exposed to more of what we like, this results in us missing out on things we don't like even when what we don't like might actually be incredibly valuable. When advertising becomes about clicks, newsrooms will be more tempted to use sensationalism rather than quality.

How technology disrupted the truth

Social media has swallowed the news – threatening the funding of public-interest reporting and ushering in an era when everyone has their own facts. But the consequences go far beyond journalism

Warning: Spoiler!
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 9 months ago #248897 by Gisteron
Went for the TL;DR version. :silly:

What I'm not quite on board with is the idea that technology has much to do with the problem or indeed that the problem is something current. No doubt when the printing press was invented and people started making the first tabloid newspapers a lot of the same discussion was made. Keep in mind that back when that invention was first introduced another solid century and a half would go by before the "discovery" of Australia.
Lies and propaganda are as old as is speech and reporting itself and confirmation bias is something we share with other animals, not even all of whom are mammals.
I think that while certainly social media as we know them today enable us to find more niches to lock ourselves in, so they do also enable us to explore perspectives hitherto completely foreign to us. And while the former we could do better without today's technology than with it, the latter is, to the extents we find normal today, virtually unthinkable without it.

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned

More
7 years 9 months ago #248902 by TheDude
I agree. Social media has fundamentally changed how human beings interact and understand the world around them. On one hand, direct video footage of speeches, protests, and acts of violence are now readily available to anyone who wishes to find them, and this is superior to traditional news sources as it allows the person to see the events exactly as they happened, with no partisan lens. However, it has become increasingly easy for us to surround ourselves with people who share a similar opinion to us and completely block out anyone with a different opinion. Current protests by various groups, especially on the left in America, show the effect that this state of mind has on our society. Now instead of engaging our opposition in rational dialogue, the trend has become to attempt to silence any different opinion. And it makes sense, of course, because my generation is one which has almost always had access to the ability to block any different opinion, so silencing others will come naturally to us. This is extremely unfortunate and only leads to echo chambers which fail to accurately represent almost any situation, despite the availability of direct video footage of events.
I suspect the continually growing influence of technology over our lives may lead to a generation eventually which has major trouble with empathy and communication. This is a highly disappointing outcome which I hope that the human species can avoid if possible.

More
7 years 9 months ago #248903 by Proteus
@OP

Yes and no...

The internet is a window to global exposure of information, of which we did not have as readily available (or as thoroughly available) as before the 20th and 21st century. As with all things like this, there are pros and cons. What this discussion seems to be about is the cons. However this con has been around for longer than the internet. It has simply changed form and frequency. However, with it, so have the pros. The pros being access to information around and about the world that has evolved our understanding on our very own humanity and as a result informs us about aspects of our culture that we need to know about in order to break many of the delusions and misinformation that was formerly manifested out of ignorance about that world. I find myself feeling that even in the wake of our choice to be able to filter out things we don't want to hear, we are still exposed to channels of information in the background of many of those we do tune into, that still hold that information coming in from around the world in some way or another.

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log

More
7 years 9 months ago #248927 by Adder
People went without before technology, in regards to enough information. I was there!!! It was hard to get, and what you got was limited. Now people have more info then they need, so they can 'want' a particular type! So excluding the targetted gathering of specific information for a reason, it seems to be either comedy (feel good now, distraction) or aspirational dreaming (feel good in future, goal).

What used to be considered 'news' is no longer of relevance, unless it is of personal relevance, and most of it is not - so anything which needs to engage with the public like broadcasters, governments, business etc will either provide comedy or aspiration to engage with its 'audience'. Everything else is just background data waiting for someone with a specific interest enough to bother digging it out of the background. But now we seem to relate to information more in this way, since we have so much information and it is so abundant in our daily living.

Then their is that the relative isolation of having insufficient information probably created a higher amount of interest in actively forming a view of current events, and updating the view was whatever was 'new' ie news. Now we no longer have the isolation, so we are less interested in forming a view of current events. So having probably slipped into a habit of assessing things for their pleasure value, when it comes to hard decisions this then makes it easier for groupthink and biases to influence the view because its not actively being curated by the individual so much.

So in the same way, it seems we just want snapshots which are easy to feel like we are important (which trends towards victim mentality sympathy, which distracts us into a present emotional state as a motivator above normal routine) and relevant (which trends towards anti-authoritarian sources to fulfill our goal requirement, aspiration) so we can 'feel' engaged for a moment, but then get back to our own lives. But this then gives us a platform to engage ourselves in the issues more deeply as well, because we've got that new distraction and goal which we've accepted and personalized - but by then we've stopped being critical of the source and instead critical to a party. In contrast to traditionally the effort was about truth and accuracy of source because the finding of information was most of the battle and so it continued as the main effort, accuracy. That is just my observations over the last 35 years of trying to find out info on things and seeing IT and digital media develop and influence society.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi