Pokemon Go! A generation lost in 1 day....

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #249291 by
While it is understandable to question, or even be wary of new things, especially when they're such a sensation... an in-depth look shows a large amount of positivity coming from Pokemon Go.

1. People who may not have gone outside often, now are getting exercise / socializing with others. I personally have friends who never walk, and now are walking 2-5 miles A DAY doing this. Their health is already improving.

2. Children and parents have a fun activity which really appeals to the children, to do together outside.

3. With an increased number of people outside, playing this game, crimes have been discovered/stopped that may not have, as well as people helping others in need.

4. From scavenger hunts to engage locals , to kids getting involved with their own unique ideas such as opening a 'supply station' , or even making safety reflectors for those out at night , this is making people get engaged, active, and creative. (Seriously, check out those links, it's so cool!)

I don't play myself, but many around me do. The standard 'moderation in everything' still applies, but when I logged onto the forums I was a tad disappointed to see a thread this long about Pokemon Go. I always envision Jedi as thinking ahead, and outside of the box.

Let us seek the positive in new ideas, not confine ourselves to worrying that TV will kill the Radio, or that Radio will wipe out the printed words. Learn from the past, yes? :)
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 9 months ago #249300 by
To be fair, I think there is some intentional hyperbole in the title of this thread. I don't think anyone believes that an "entire generation is lost" because of this game. It is more an observation of how quickly something new can grab our attention and disrupt our normal routines.

I don't believe this is always a bad thing. As pointed out many times in this thread, this game has caused people to step out of harmful or lazy routines. It has also helped people be more social and interact with family and friends in a new way.

When productivity in the workplace starts to suffer then we might need to reexamine priorities, but this distraction from work is not a new phenomenon. The same effect happened when Facebook really took off and happens each year when the NCAA Basketball Tournament goes on in the U.S. I'm at work right now and posting to a Jedi forum, so who am I to criticize? :)

Just be safe while you "catch 'em all" and know that you won't be getting any competition from me. I'll be at home spending too much time playing Battlefront and Clash of Clans. :laugh:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 9 months ago #249302 by
It does seem a little odd to me that the length of this thread (or at least its existence) has been brought up on two separate occasions today in regards to it's ridiculousness. The majority of the thread is actually about how many people love the game and all the good things it's doing for people. I feel like the "negative" view of it is a small minority, they just happened to be the ones to name it.

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
7 years 9 months ago #249342 by ren
installed it to see what it is, got bored after catching the very first pokemon. With all the people dying as a result of it, I do find it rather funny that our ability to use technology effectively is now becoming a part of the natural selection process.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 9 months ago #249370 by

ren wrote: installed it to see what it is, got bored after catching the very first pokemon. With all the people dying as a result of it, I do find it rather funny that our ability to use technology effectively is now becoming a part of the natural selection process.

Yeah that is very effective indeed , so , how many people did you Get killed before catching your first Pokemon , you do know they reappear its not that you have to kill everyone off that tries to catch them aswell ....i am rather relieved you got bored with it then :P

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 9 months ago #249415 by

ren wrote: With all the people dying as a result of it,

There's only been one confirmed death, which was a few days ago, and the result of a teenager trespassing. I don't believe there is any other confirmed death at this time.

Technology has been tied to death for some time, though. Texting while driving, being distracted, apps helping people meet up and then bad things happen, on and on.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi