A cashless society and chip Implants

More
7 years 10 months ago #242559 by Eleven
Its seems more and more were slowly becoming a cashless society. Almost everyone takes ent,credit, or debit cards...checks not so much and alot of times no cash. We are starting to get the chip on our atm and credit cards. We've already for a few years now had tge chip in our drivers license. My thoughts are is I often wonder where we might be in say five years? Will we have chips in our hands, foreheads? (please I am not talking end bible prophecy...) how will it affect the way we live as humans? Will it be more easier to have your info all stored in this chip in your hand? Will this cause more crime? Or will it cut down? Will the technolgy be a safe haven or a nightmare where someone is cutting your appendage off or holding you up physically. What about the electric car? I know in Washington were starting to get charge stations at walgreens and select gas stations. I have heard Oregon is loaded with them already. I could go on with thoughts and concepts but my original thoughts were to get a discussion going.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Tl1zqH4lsSmKOyCLU9sdOSAUig7Q38QW4okOwSz2V4c/edit

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 10 months ago #242577 by
It seems as with any new technology it will most likely have its desirable and undesirable repercussions. For the most part, I don't think the chip implant idea will fly with a large amount of the population unless it is forced upon them. Too many do see the concept as an apocalyptic scenario, whether that is what we are discussing or not. For those that are okay with such an idea, there would have to be rigorous security measures implemented, as identity theft is pathetically easy for those determined to commit it with even the current technologies in place. It also can't be ignored that with technology, like cell phones or even facebook accounts, become so ubiquitous, those without end up being at a societal disadvantage. How many employers will avoid employing an applicant because they aren't chipped, and therefore by their thinking are untrustworthy?

It's a huge can of worms, but it will need to be addressed.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #242578 by
I never understood why they always refer to the Bible when it comes to end times. It's really more than just "bible prophecy" The Bible is not the first or the only ones to predict end times after all.

Besides this is an extremely dangerous idea. You already have governments that are beyond corrupt and they are trying to push it. Nevermind the fact that with electronics or even the money we use isn't even sound money anyway because it's not backed by anything valuable. Really the money we use is no more valuable than monoploy money and it only has value because the government says so. Even though they all keep their own hoards of gold and silver.

Having chips will be eventually forced and they will try to coerce them into doing it. First off with all this tracking technology we have, they have talked about installing that onto chips. That they would know exactly where you are with the chip. So you end having Big Brother watch you all the time. Not to mention they are going to take the money out of that chip if they say you owe so much money to them, they can just take it out without you even noticing it. Plus if you even though of protesting, what makes you think they don't have certain codes in order to disable your chip, meaning you couldn't buy food or rent a hotel or do anything.

And how do we know there isn't something on those chips that will be used to harm you. As in using electricity to stop your heart or damage your organs if they think you are a threat or you even think of opposing the status quo. I can promise you that chip implants will be extremely dangerous, especially with all the things the US or England or most government have done in the past. You are giving them away too much power if you allow that to happen. Then there really will be a "Galactic Empire" on Earth if it's not stopped.
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 10 months ago #242844 by
I don't like the idea of chip implants. Partially because of the obvious "big brother" issues of being controlled and "What else can this do to me?" but also because as we all know technology changes. What happens when those chips go out of date and we need new ones? Will the entire world (the parts that use it) need to go see their doctor to get the old one removed and the new one put in? That sounds time consuming, possibly dangerous, and very expensive.

As a banker, I wouldn't mind seeing a world that shifted back more towards cash use. Sure there would be the ability to be physically robbed but I see that happen a WHOLE hell of a lot less than ID theft which I see on a daily basis. Plus going cashless will just make it easier and easier to go in debt. Without something physical money becomes meaningless, it's just a number on some screen that appears and disappears at will. Physical cash makes it more real, like something that needs to be thought of carefully.

As for electric cars, I would love to see more electric cars on the road, but I don't like self driving cars or cars that be remotely accessed in some way. If a computer can get into it it CAN and WILL be hacked. I want to always be in control of my own vehicle.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #242852 by

I don't like the idea of chip implants. Partially because of the obvious "big brother" issues of being controlled and "What else can this do to me?" but also because as we all know technology changes. What happens when those chips go out of date and we need new ones? Will the entire world (the parts that use it) need to go see their doctor to get the old one removed and the new one put in? That sounds time consuming, possibly dangerous, and very expensive.

More than likely it will update by wireless means. Still, yes, replacements will eventually happen. However, I doubt it will be all that time consuming, dangerous, or expensive. It wont be a deep implant.

I am not concerned about "big brother" so much because well, they are already watching, know what your buying, and where you are. If you have a debit card, cell phone, computer, or have bought anything through electronic means.

Really the money we use is no more valuable than monoploy money and it only has value because the government says so.

Try buying something at the store with monopoly money. Or even better, if your money has no value, please, give it to me.Certainly you have no issue in parting with something that has no inherent value?

Money has value, and not just because the government says so. Just because it isn't backed by anything physical doesn't mean it's doomed to collapse. Even Bitcoin isn't doomed to collapse (I believe it will, however, for unrelated reasons). Anything that is rare and cannot be copied or reproduced will make an acceptable currency base. As long as it's rare and we agree that it's valuable, it's valuable.

As a banker, I wouldn't mind seeing a world that shifted back more towards cash use. Sure there would be the ability to be physically robbed but I see that happen a WHOLE hell of a lot less than ID theft which I see on a daily basis. Plus going cashless will just make it easier and easier to go in debt. Without something physical money becomes meaningless, it's just a number on some screen that appears and disappears at will. Physical cash makes it more real, like something that needs to be thought of carefully.

Well, you would see it happen less because people are using debit cards more. Shift it back the other way and you will see the numbers change. However, just because its a number on the screen, it does not make anything meaningless, as without the numbers appearing in your account, or disappearing when you buy something, your not going to get very far.

Seems like those numbers, just as with paper, have some serious value.

The physicality of the paper over the debit card is arbitrary at best.

So... how do we pay for Internet stuff with Paper, or shiny rocks? Because if our currency has no intrinsic value, then the digital record of it has to have even less. Backing the currency with a physical commodity invites the manipulation of its worth. Besides, silver and gold is far more useful in creating electronics than it is sitting in a vault backing certificates in use.

What else would you back it with? Oil, diamonds, cattle, captive humans? Maybe fresh water or air?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 10 months ago #242854 by

Khaos wrote: The physicality of the paper over the debit card is arbitrary at best.

This is true, but I have seen many, many people destroy themselves with debt when not using cash, then force themselves to pull out cash each week and make that their limit and suddenly they have a good budget they can stick to. It's not so much the actual difference as the mental difference. For some it's not a problem but for many it is. Just the card creates a disconnect mentally from the reality and it causes problems. Switching to more physical representation of each dollar spent reinforces it's value.

Well, you would see it happen less because people are using debit cards more. Shift it back the other way and you will see the numbers change.

That I can't argue with, but I also believe in more people learning how to defend themselves and arm themselves which would, hopefully, reduce this as well.

There is no perfect answer, a good balance of both is as close as we can get. Pros and cons to all options.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 10 months ago #242856 by
Disclaimer: I am not at all saying that this is likely or that I believe it will happen. It was just something I saw as a kid and am reminded about it everytime I hear and read up on Chip Implants.

My father is a bit of a rebel. The whole "Government is out to get me" kind. I love him though! Always will. He can get a bit carried away but hey...I love him for it! haha

When I was really little though, I remember playing under the table while he was in meeting with some Lawyer friends studying and discussing law. Some of these guys were in the profession and taking on some serious cases. As a result they would discuss all the top notch "Current" laws and proceedures in handling cases as well as preparing for those "What if things went this way or that way? How do we as legal fighters handle it."

In one of these meetings they were watching a movie. I was just old enough to comprehend.

It was about the future and implanted chips. Same idea. Super awesome, buy your food with a swipe of your hand, never loose your credit card, all your information in one place blah blah blah.....But there was another nifty little doo dad in it. /sarcasem. It was able to moniter heart rate levels and key emotion triggers that flair up whenever one gets angry or agressive. If said implanted human being were to say....loose their temper....The chip would discharge a shock of electricty and shock said person.

Well...I'll just say the video was quite graphic in the use of implanted children and one toddler getting angry at another toddler for taking their seat and then falling in spasms on the ground.

Scary stuff! <(0_0)>

Anyways. As I said.....I do not have a stance or opinion on it. Just a "Hey this made me think of that one time....." deals.

Personally. I will do all I can to avoid implant chips. Period.

More
7 years 10 months ago #242859 by rugadd
We won't need chips when they finish developing the molecular bio scanning via satellite...or smartphone.

It feels like conspiracy theory posturing, which is essentially fear of the unknown.

Do with that what you will.

There is a 90+ year old man who comes into my shop a few times a month. He always brings articles for everyone who works here, knows them by name, and stays and chats as often as he just needs some copies. He told me in his long life the only thing he could say about the future of society is that we are on the cusp of something awesome(and he was using this word in its original context). He didn't know if it would be good or bad, but he knew a great transformation was about to take place and we would be living in an age of wonders.

I also think alot about how we some times seem geared towards paranoia and criticism, but then I think really, that is just a hammer being overused for the wrong things...and we are likely just very good at seeing how we can improve things. That is a very uplifting thought.

If ony we decide to add action to that realization.

rugadd
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #242866 by

Trisskar wrote: Personally. I will do all I can to avoid implant chips. Period.

A cell phone is a chip. A debit card, a computer.

Is it the skin bag bias that really holds people up? Is that the final fig leaf?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 10 months ago #242867 by
Whats really interesting is when people get older, many here, will need pacemakers, or some kind of replacement surgery(kness and hips are big as one ages), and will probably do so without a second thought.

A pacemaker, actually helps control your heart rhythms.

Its always interesting to see where and how people draw the lines in the sand.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi