Dont let your religion be a weapon to bring harm to others

More
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #242465 by Eleven
2 days ago I was approached by two Mormon men while they were doing there rounds I was sitting at the cafeteria table at my workplace and they approached me wanting to talk about Jesus. I'm not a person that gets irritated or offended by people wanting to share their beliefs with me a lot of times I will take their pamphlets and I will listen to what they have to say I just think it's respectful and I admire people have enough nerve to share what they believe with complete strangers and I think I should be honored but that's my own opinion. So I sat and listened to them eating my food upon the conclusion of what they were talking about if I wanted use Christ in my life Jesus Christ. I declined your offer and said I already have Jesus in my heart at 4 for many years. And I also currently big believer in Jedis when I said that realized that I made a mistake and that their expressions from kindness immediately turned into anger. I will summarize what they said but pretty much told me that if I don't stop believe what I believe that I will go to hell. I told them kindly that they was their beliefs in a good way but insisted on harassing me about believing the Jediism. I got up from the tables and answered I am leaving you have a good day good luck to you and May the force be with you. The two attempted to follow me all the way in the back I told him that he couldn't come any further. Hey can you need to harass me with words of hell and unkind words. I've been in there almost get angry and then I calm myself and told him if I were ever to come to a church it would not be yours because I don't think Jesus the way you're teaching I think you both need to go home and read your Bible change the way you approach people of different beliefs because you can end up losing people as it stands now I would never come to your church and I would never converse with you. Just kind of curious if you feel that I handle this correctly? I feel like it but I was wondering if he was had a similar incident

I know it's a Christian and I was like that is very zealous for people to get converted but I also realize that I did more damage than good and that's how I felt with these two men I'm sure they had good intentions but when I became a Jedi I vowed never to be this way ever again not to mention in jediism really not out to convert anybody if you want to be a Jedi join. I never want to push my beliefs on anyone else and end up losing someone if they don't believe then that's their choice and I respect that and that's okay

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Tl1zqH4lsSmKOyCLU9sdOSAUig7Q38QW4okOwSz2V4c/edit
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by Eleven. Reason: Not done

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 10 months ago #242468 by

Sven One wrote: And I also currently big believer in Jedis when I said that realized that I made a mistake and that their expressions from kindness immediately turned into anger. I will summarize what they said but pretty much told me that if I don't stop believe what I believe that I will go to hell.

I do wish people would contact the local LDS (Mormon) Branch when these sorts of agressions happen. That is not how Missionaries are supposed to respond and should be checked by their ranking members of church. Being Raised LDS (Mormon) I can personally say - This is not how its supposed to work. LDS (Mormons) can be persistant in their faiths and spreading of gods word - but never cruel and hellfire.

More
7 years 10 months ago #242482 by Eleven
I agree with your point and I see your reasoning and respect you greatly but I'm not just referring to the light LDS I'm just talking about religion in general because I had several times that happen to me not just Mormons that was more of just a current event. Normally the Mormons I get approached by are never that way I took me by surprise as well but my question is if someone is like that with their faith do you think talking to their Superior wood do any good to them?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Tl1zqH4lsSmKOyCLU9sdOSAUig7Q38QW4okOwSz2V4c/edit

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #242486 by
To toss that question back to you :) If one of the lead Administrators of TOTJO came to you privately and said "I've had some people come to me complaining about your approach to differing beliefs and think we should talk" Would it have a positive effect on you?

Sometimes people get passionate. I know that LDS (Mormons) Often do get passionate about their beliefs. They really, truly, completely just want what they think is best for others and can get pushy. Most of these are younger (20's) in age and very excited to rake in the numbers of converstion and share their stories. Sometimes, all they need is a bop on the head from their superiors reminding them of proper behavior and respect.

We all do.

It happens.

SHOULD we use our religion to push others? No. But it does happen.

My first step would be to contact the superiors for correction. After that. Do as you did - Walk away - and remember that just because you don't do it....dosn't mean others don't. You can't change that...you can only be you.
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 10 months ago #242489 by
Im going to have to dissagree with you here Trisskar. Most of these sorts of religions are militant in their approach to converting others to their way of thinking. It is a do or die mentality that comes from the highest echelons. Its misguided and just abother attempt at controlling the masses. We should never stand for such treatment and we should never tolerate that behaviour. It needs to be met each time with the same viceral reactions that generated the behaviour in the first place. That is the only way to secure your own just as valid right to opinion of these matters.

More
7 years 10 months ago #242492 by Eleven
I like both opinions they both hold truths to it. I know what irs like to have young Zeal for our religious beliefs I was quite a Zealot for Christianity for some time until I left. Still hold the church I still attend in high esteem and the Pastor but I stopped. But I also know that Zeal can cause perminate damage to someone. Been a few who never darken the doors of church again. "Militant" is a good way to discribe it. "Repent or Parish" as alot of Christians would say. Since coming to the order I have abandon that way for good. I am not in anyones face about nothing. If you wanna know what I believe ask but it doesnt go any further than that.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 10 months ago #242494 by
I think you handled that situation quite well, Sven One. Like you said, that zeal can cause a person to hurt the very people they are trying to save. Reminding them that Jesus would never advocate such action was exactly what I would have done. If they claim to be ambassadors of Christ, then the least they could do is portray him in a positive light.

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: Im going to have to dissagree with you here Trisskar. Most of these sorts of religions are militant in their approach to converting others to their way of thinking. It is a do or die mentality that comes from the highest echelons. Its misguided and just abother attempt at controlling the masses. We should never stand for such treatment and we should never tolerate that behaviour. It needs to be met each time with the same viceral reactions that generated the behaviour in the first place. That is the only way to secure your own just as valid right to opinion of these matters.

That's so true. Many so-called Christian organizations have policies that tend to leave the love of Christ out of the equation.
I think it might be a mistake to fight fire with fire in a situation like this. Religious zealots can be wound up tighter than a bowstring. I like to just smile at them and let them finish their tirade. In never lasts more than a few minutes. When they get it all out, they usually take a breath and become reasonable again. I've had many a conversation with Jehovah's Witnesses about the divinity of Christ. It's very stimulating of my own walk when my beliefs are challenged. It gives me a chance to reaffirm my footing.

More
7 years 10 months ago #242495 by Alethea Thompson
It's funny, I'm in the process of doing a written meditation that may or may not turn into a published book about talking with people not Christian. For me, I had to have a spiritual event occur for me to turn away form my Pagan beliefs. It is also why I'm sympathetic to the Pagan Community when Christians attack them.

What I am finding difficult to figure out, is what could possibly make Christianity of more value than other systems. I'm actually going to run into the Abrahamic discussion board now to post a question. Maybe that will help :)

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 10 months ago #242497 by

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: Im going to have to dissagree with you here Trisskar. Most of these sorts of religions are militant in their approach to converting others to their way of thinking.

You are treating said religion as a full organization working as some unit.

At the end of the day. Every memeber in that religion is a mother, father, son and daughter. My father was a Missionary, my whole family all the way back to the begginings of the Mormon faith were missionaries. My best friends grew up to be missionaries, some of them are on their missions right now as we speak. Every single one of them are GOOD young (or was young at the time) people.

I know what they teach. I lived it

I know how they teach it. I gave testimonies, been baptized, and was very very VERY Excited to become a missionary, get sent to some part of the world ive never been in, possibly learn a new language.

There is not concpiracy theory - Military - "Agenda" going on. Just very passionate people who really love and believe their faith and religion is true.

And that is not a bad thing.

I have Jehovah witness's that come to my door every tuesday to share their teachings with me and I give them their 5 minuets. They are starting to breach that 5 minuet limit though and soon I will have to Check them on it.

And I truly believe they will not take naught from it - Why? - Because at the end of the day, they are just normal, every day people who have strong beliefs.

How is it taught in Christian Faith's? "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." If my passions for a belief got out of line....I hope one of you will check me on it because I am no different than you.

More
7 years 10 months ago #242500 by Proteus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBA6qlHW8po

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi