Smart Guns

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 11 months ago #239961 by
Smart Guns was created by
How do people feel about the idea of Smart Guns?

When I say Smart Guns I don't mean guns that can answer a call or text message, but rather guns that utilize technology to only fire for certain people. Like they scan finger prints or palm prints to unlock for their proper owners. I believe I've also heard about some other ideas, like RFID bracelets that unlock the gun when in a certain proximity (like the distance of someone's wrist when holding it).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 11 months ago #239964 by Manu
Replied by Manu on topic Smart Guns
It would definitely prevent kids accidentally shooting themselves, and home invaders taking your gun from you and shooting you with it.

How are they configured? I mean, who sets up the gun so it can only be used by one person?

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 11 months ago #239966 by
Replied by on topic Smart Guns
I could not say as I have not tested the difference between one or the other. It sounds/feels like an un-necessary inconvenience when in needed, defensive situations.

More
7 years 11 months ago #239971 by MadHatter
Replied by MadHatter on topic Smart Guns
I think its one more way for Mr. Murphy to come along and say hello. Further they are a block on me possibly arming a competently training friend or family member in an emergency. (sure the need for that is likely uber slim but why chance it) Electronics can and will foul up at the worst moments and thats the last thing you need when you may be betting your life on the tool. Having used biometic locks in the military I can tell you they SUCK and even as they get better it does not preclude malfunctions. So adding just one more way for things to foul up is not wise in my opinion.

Knight of the Order
Training Master: Jestor
Apprentices: Lama Su, Leah
Just a pop culture Jedi doing what I can
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 11 months ago #239973 by
I was recently reading an article about how the government is increasing the amount of R&D grants it's giving out for these kinds of things. A major goal of theirs is to have the tech tested by law enforcement first. (not necessarily in the field but in drills and simulations and stuff) They believe that consumers are more likely to be okay with it if it gets the law enforcement and/or military stamp of approval.

Personally I think it is great so long as it works quickly and accurately. This concern, I would imagine, would be something that the law enforcement would be testing for. I was discussing it with a coworker and he says that the scanner on his phone works in the time it would take him to unholster and aim a gun. (he may or may not have pretended his phone was a gun to sort of test that. :lol: )

I think that it would help immensely with accidental shootings by children and with gun thefts. Who wants a gun that they can't use? I would hope, though, that they also had a few key features. An ability to program multiple users, like my fiance and myself, and an unlock ability for if a friend and I are at the range and he wants to shoot it. I am also concerned about the likely price increase involved in putting this technology in guns. Guns are already somewhat expensive (at least for me) so adding a few hundred dollars could make it much harder to purchase them.

More
7 years 11 months ago #239976 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic Smart Guns

MadHatter wrote: I think its one more way for Mr. Murphy to come along and say hello. Further they are a block on me possibly arming a competently training friend or family member in an emergency. (sure the need for that is likely uber slim but why chance it) Electronics can and will foul up at the worst moments and thats the last thing you need when you may be betting your life on the tool. Having used biometic locks in the military I can tell you they SUCK and even as they get better it does not preclude malfunctions. So adding just one more way for things to foul up is not wise in my opinion.

im not entirely against the whole idea of smart guns but i agree with this point

also i think if there is any way that they could be locked from the outside, such as by a hacker or emperor palpatine, then no

People are complicated.
The following user(s) said Thank You: , MadHatter

More
7 years 11 months ago #239979 by MadHatter
Replied by MadHatter on topic Smart Guns

OB1Shinobi wrote:

MadHatter wrote: I think its one more way for Mr. Murphy to come along and say hello. Further they are a block on me possibly arming a competently training friend or family member in an emergency. (sure the need for that is likely uber slim but why chance it) Electronics can and will foul up at the worst moments and thats the last thing you need when you may be betting your life on the tool. Having used biometic locks in the military I can tell you they SUCK and even as they get better it does not preclude malfunctions. So adding just one more way for things to foul up is not wise in my opinion.

im not entirely against the whole idea of smart guns but i agree with this point

also i think if there is any way that they could be locked from the outside, such as by a hacker or emperor palpatine, then no

Palpatine is taking muh guns!!!! :laugh:

Knight of the Order
Training Master: Jestor
Apprentices: Lama Su, Leah
Just a pop culture Jedi doing what I can

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 11 months ago #239981 by

I think it'd probably be something you could disable, or perhaps even a timer thing like unlock for 30 minutes etc?

I get your point and agree partially but I do believe American does need better gun control.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 11 months ago #239984 by

MadHatter wrote: I think its one more way for Mr. Murphy to come along and say hello.

"Hello. We don't like you. We are wirelessly shutting off your guns now. Better yet....we don't like this city having guns. Let's turn them all off and..._____.."

Well....I'll let Conspiracy Theory minds fill in the blank.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 11 months ago #239996 by
Replied by on topic Re:Smart Guns
ZZa Zz,ZSZAA

Sent from my ASUS ZenFone 2E using Tapatalk

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi