Harriet Tubman to be on new US $20 bill

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 days ago #238663 by
I just read that the US $20 bill is going to be getting some changes. Andrew Jackson is going to be replaced by Harriet Tubman (link to Harriet Tubman's Wikipedia page if you aren't familiar with her).

Here's the USA Today article about it that I read.

I think it's really cool. There are plenty of other countries that don't just use former officials on their money. Some use artists, scientists, animals, and other cool stuff. I've always felt that America's money was somewhat boring and dominated by rich white guys. (kind of like who has the most of it ;) )

On a more comical note :lol: Donald Trump has already spoken out against it and says we should put her on the $2 instead.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 days ago #238702 by
I think it's okay, Andrew Jackson would hate to be on that bill as he was against the entire central banking system for good reason, I say abolish the Federal Reserve and send them all those snakes to prison.

More
8 years 3 days ago #238704 by MadHatter

Lightstrider wrote: I think it's okay, Andrew Jackson would hate to be on that bill as he was against the entire central banking system for good reason, I say abolish the Federal Reserve and send them all those snakes to prison.

Best comment I have seen on the topic and sums my thoughts up perfectly.

Knight of the Order
Training Master: Jestor
Apprentices: Lama Su, Leah
Just a pop culture Jedi doing what I can

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 days ago #238717 by
The irony is thick. Jackson moving to the back and all.

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
8 years 3 days ago #238748 by ren
I guess it's an improvement over heads of state, although I don't think I'd choose a fighter...

I hope they put Tesla on a US bank note one day. It's not everyday someone invents a death ray and scraps it because morals are more important than money. Those are the ones I want on banknotes.

In the Uk they chose Jane Austen, a fiction writer best known for "pride and prejudice" who remained dependent on her family her entire life whilst dreaming about Darcy, instead of someone more appropriate like Alan turing, hero to, yet persecuted by, his country. (And like Tesla instrumental to the development of technologies which define our civilization)... Because a feminist thought having a woman on every single banknote for 60years is not enough, there had to be one with either a queen or princess complex on both sides.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
8 years 3 days ago #238755 by Manu

Goken wrote: On a more comical note :lol: Donald Trump has already spoken out against it and says we should put her on the $2 instead.

I can imagine Trump going: "I'm gonna make a ten thousand dollar bill, it's gonna be huge! I'm gonna put my daughter's face on it, and people are gonna love her. No one makes dollar bills like I do, I'm gonna make these ten thousando dollar bills and I'm gonna make the Federal Reserve pay for it"

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zenchi,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 days ago #238760 by
Tesla in Serbia: money, airport.

More
8 years 3 days ago #238765 by Alethea Thompson
Plus the point was to put a woman on the bill, not another man.

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
8 years 3 days ago #238769 by ren

Plus the point was to put a woman on the bill, not another man.

Oh well that sucks. I thought it was about emancipation/civil war. I had not heard of her before and it seems her activities were mostly about that.

Tesla in Serbia: money, airport.

Oh I know but he was mostly american. I mean he was born in austria (modern-day croatia), had austrian citizenship before moving to america... "serb" is his ethnicity (I find that concept kinda ridiculous in the area).
This being said there'd be no AC/DC without him, so Australia ought to have him on bank notes too :D

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alethea Thompson,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 days ago #238812 by
I use my debit card to pay for things.

I suppose its progressive enough, but fairly arbitrary.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi