Martial art and weapon of choice?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #228220 by
Replied by on topic Martial art and weapon of choice?
Kung Fu / Straight Sword

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #228240 by

Slebo wrote:

Rickie wrote: bo/walking/hiking stick, escrima sticks, and eventually a walking cane. An old man can go anywhere with a cane. You just have to leard how to use it.

I'm learning the same along with Escrima stick. I'm focusing on weapons common with the environment. I'm more likely to grab a stick off the ground than a set of nunchucks.

Agreed

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #228256 by
Mm.. quite funny to ask..

Formally trained in Judo, and Kyokushinkai. Also followed many lessons, within a wide range of budo and kobudo schools like but not limited to: Aikido, kendo/ iaido, bōjutsu, jiujitsu, and Tanto-jutsu. These elements were often linked within Judo and Kyokushinkai training including techniques, control and kata. (Because you need to know how to deal with the situations, bit of practice comes with it)

My choice would be based on area and amount of enemies. Though I enjoy the bō staff for the speed and mobility, my preference would be the daisho (katana and wakizashi). Due to the length issue in close environment.
For ''everywhere use'' in modern society I would pick the knife and bare handed. So a close combat choice, bare handed with knife combination. Have to say that I have not been in a fight for quite a wile, want to keep that.. I would like to say that I do enjoy archery, but I have never trained formally with it, doing it casual during events.. :)

~ Aqua
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #228260 by
Standing for gentle way, I feel judo is a great art. As a brown belt I have found that is encompasses a good ethos of defence and non aggression, as well as closing the space preventing kicks and punches from developing power. To cap it off you can incapacitate a foe without injuring them.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #228263 by
Judo does have injury techniques. Think of Sankaku-garami ( arm lock with total body ) or Kani basami ( highly dangerous to the head) I have not mentioned Hadaka-jime, highly dangerous when you combine it during a trow.. Judo can be highly dangerous if you combine different parts, with environment. Back in the good old days there were even finger locks and ankle locks.. like Ashi-Hishigi.. Judo is all about injuring, though it is all about how much you injure a other person! Injuring it is.. ;) People said, Judo is development of the mind as education.. that is also part of injury! :laugh:

More
8 years 2 months ago #228269 by rugadd
Shaolin (De Cheng lineage) Gong Fu, Goon(walking staff), San Da.

rugadd

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #228271 by

Due to the length issue in close environment.
For ''everywhere use'' in modern society I would pick the knife and bare handed. So a close combat choice, bare handed with knife combination.

Very practical. Is anything really required for then average person other than a stout stick? Isn't a staff/bo/walking stick/cane all the monks of old carried? I mean really, if your attacked a good beating with a stick in most cases is going to discourage most low life predators. How often & what are the odds of a more violent attach if you live a gentle life?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #228273 by
I just started learning Wado-Ryu and Kenpo karate styles. I haven't reached a point where weaponship is being studied.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
8 years 2 months ago #228283 by RyuJin
to know only one path is to leave yourself stranded when the path becomes blocked....

i've studied a lot of various styles over the years, and trained with a wide array of standard and exotic weapons...soon i plan to begin studying tai chi to add to the mix....

now as to a weapon....the mind, hands, feet, knees, elbows, a piece of paper (yes i said a piece of paper), pretty much anything available to me....i've become very adept at improvised weapons because i've got a broader definition of what a weapon is....

most define a weapon as something used to inflict damage on an opponent...i define a weapon as anything that can be used to harm, disarm, or distract an opponent....

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #228285 by
There are very few that mention the kusarigama, the kama or even the pike. Spears are nice. I like weapons that have long range but at the same time it's a real hindrance if you're in cramped areas. Whipping like weapons like the whip and flail or nunchucks are nice but it's very difficult to block with those weapons. Blades are unlikely to cut through wood since swords are not made to cut through wooden weapons except for axes. Swords can cut through eventually after so many marks because they will leave marks on the wood or at worst get wedged in the wood. But a wooden weapon can also break a blade, too.

I'm not huge about big blunt weapons because they are too heavy and whipping weapons because you can't block effectively. Sai are nice since they are designed to trap and break blades. Sabers are awesome because they have that hand guard which not only protects the wielder from being disarmed but also they can use it to attack but punching or clobbering someone with it. Irish martial arts is fascinating and I think the shillelagh is my favorite because it's one of the most versatile and useful weapons out there.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi