Martial art and weapon of choice?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #228120 by
I was wondering if any practiced martial arts in some way, shape or form, such as Tae Kwon Do, Karate ect. Or has anyone practiced with any particular melee weapon in the past.

I personally liked Karate or Judo but haven't found too much time to practice. As far as a melee weapon I always thought the shillelagh was a good one. Aside from being a useful walking stick, it's versatile, made with hard wood, can perform powerful fast strikes with it and so forth. Plus it's easier to walk around with it in public than others. :laugh:

How about you?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 months ago #228121 by Adder
Some recent-ish threads which might be of interest;
what do you choose as a duelist or involved an encounter
martial arts your interest?
best martial art?

I'd love to be able to practise some sort of stick thing like jōjutsu, plus jodo looks a bit like jedi :side:
The extent for me is contemplating it and exploring its dynamics.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #228122 by
Replied by on topic Martial art and weapon of choice?
I practice goju-ryu karate. It's a little unusual for karate in that it combines "soft" and "hard" styles, which I think is fitting for a Jedi. We can train with nunchaku, sai, tonfa, bo, and shinai, but I prefer the bo; again, it just seems to suit my sense of Jedi-ness.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #228124 by
The bo is a good weapon although I think the lesser known Jo is also very good since you don't need wide open spaces to fight in. I like long weapons but once you're in a cramped area, it's hard to wield them effectively. The shillelagh is long without being too long.

Halberd is also good. Not too many people mention the kusarigama which is a wonky but very effective weapon if used properly.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #228150 by
I practiced Tae Kwon Do as a teenager, and later learned as much about Jeet Kune Do as I could on my own. Both don't use weapons, but I prefer a bo (considered a shillelagh as an alternative) or escrima sticks. Though I do have a short staff that I'm using now to learn a little about Sword Tai Chi. I also once had sais but found them to be impratical.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #228163 by
bo/walking/hiking stick, escrima sticks, and eventually a walking cane. An old man can go anywhere with a cane. You just have to leard how to use it.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #228165 by
Iaido, katana.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #228170 by

Rickie wrote: bo/walking/hiking stick, escrima sticks, and eventually a walking cane. An old man can go anywhere with a cane. You just have to leard how to use it.

I'm learning the same along with Escrima stick. I'm focusing on weapons common with the environment. I'm more likely to grab a stick off the ground than a set of nunchucks.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #228178 by
I'm a 3rd degree blackbelt in taekwondo (NOT Olympic style), but I desperately want to learn wushu (although I think my time has passed). It is the most beautiful art I have ever laid eyes on. How I wish there were a school locally that I could get to/afford. What I wouldn't give to be 30 years younger with the same desire!
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #228218 by
I don't believe in Martial Arts... Just kidding!!! ;) :P

Actually I have always wanted to take up a form of martial arts but never pursued it until recently. I have done some kick boxing but not sure if that really counts. However recently I have actually found a place near me that does Saber training. I'm starting this month!
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by .

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi