Who wants to live forever?

More
8 years 4 months ago #214263 by OB1Shinobi

Kohadre wrote: Whats the point in living even a day, if nothing continues after your death?

may be one of the most important questions of our era

my reflex answer is: "that depends on what youre doing with your life"

People are complicated.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago #214276 by
Replied by on topic Who wants to live forever?
Once you move past the need for a "point" and realize life isn't literary, then I think it becomes really easy. I'm not there myself. That's just my hypothesis.

More
8 years 4 months ago #214289 by steamboat28
I thought this was a thread about a Queen song, so I didn't really come prepared with an answer to the question.
The following user(s) said Thank You: , OB1Shinobi

More
8 years 4 months ago #214295 by Gisteron
Replied by Gisteron on topic Who wants to live forever?

Goken wrote: Every path that I see that leads there isn't really what I'd call living. Either we live longer but with constant health problems, are able to transfer our consciousness into machines, or are able to live longer at the expense of the lives of others. None of these options appeal to me.

Perhaps herein lies the problem. Now, I agree that enduring for centuries on miserable bones and ever fading sanity is undesirable. I also find that prolonging our own lives at the expense of other ones has some rather ugly ethical implications if it isn't one in itself. Both of these produce strictly unnecessary suffering to either oneself or somebody else. Pending further specifications, is not in principle true of transfering ourselves into machines that can run a consciousness. You did not specifically exclude that by the time we could do this, the machines in question would be bodies no less suitable to host us than our current ones are.
However, while I do understand that these are the only three options you deem plausible, I doubt we have established that these are indeed the only three. What if medicine advanced to where it could in some way restore our physical bodies to the prime state we had at, say, our late twenties, and that would be done by an enzyme injection synthesized from a personal DNA sample gathered from stem cells we give for that specific purpose? What if prolonging lives wouldn't cost anybody else's life expectancy nor would mean living on to observe our own bodies decompose nor living in a body that is fundamentally foreign? And if you object to that, is it not more accurate to say that said objection stems from some place other than the mere undesirability of the options?

It does for me, if you wish to know. My mortality is what gives my life urgency. It is by scarcity that time is precious. Would I like to live, say, another half century longer and in good health? Maybe. If I find something to invest that time into, then maybe. A prospect of proper immortality however is utterly unappealing to me...

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
8 years 4 months ago #214382 by Kohadre
You could just be like Dracula, crushing your enemies and seeing them tremble before you.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

So long and thanks for all the fish

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago #214385 by

steamboat28 wrote: I thought this was a thread about a Queen song, so I didn't really come prepared with an answer to the question.

I very much did that on purpose. :cheer: Not really a huge fan of that song but I do love "The Highlander" (the movie for which the song was written, along with "Princes of the Universe" although that might not have been until the TV show. Hard to remember).

More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #214402 by Yugen
Replied by Yugen on topic Who wants to live forever?
If a human is presented with the option to escape death, and become immortal forever. He will accept it.
If he must so kill for it, human programming is to survive, it is our instinct and it has always been.
Not all humans will react the same way, and some may not accept it, but in most cases a human will accept the offer. That is simply how we are, i belive that we should refrain from instinct, as instinct is very impulsive and it could lead us to a quick death.
But as i said above, a human want to survive, the individual want to keep existing, it is in our nature.
So yes, many humans want to live forever

TOTJO Novice

Yugen (幽玄): is said to mean “a profound, mysterious sense of the beauty of the universe… and the sad beauty of human suffering”

IP Journal
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by Yugen.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago #214405 by
I'm interested in living as long as nature, augmented by medical support to overcome emergencies, allows. My understanding is that under ideal conditions, this is a maximum of a bit over a century.

My perception though is that Earthly life is just one segment of what is available to each of us as an eternal soul-being. I believe there are other places for us to go, other things for us to experience, and I don't want to give that up for the limited range of options which exist for most of us while living in the material universe.

So - no, I don't want a body that is a perpetual-motion machine.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago #214513 by

Desolous wrote:

Goken wrote: ...able to transfer our consciousness into machines, ...None of these options appeal to me.

whats wrong with transferring our consciousness into machines? better, stronger, faster, infiinitely adaptable, etc etc. why not?

because it isn't possible and never will be. Even if we are able to use whole brain emulation to emulate your brain and if that simulation is conscious (I personally find this doubtful and frankly i have yet to see a viable test of consciousness ) at best it will be a copy of you. You will still die with your body and will either find out that there is an existence after this or just cease to exist.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago #214519 by
I definitely want to live forever. Life is so rich of experiences, I need immortality to explore better ways to overcome mortal limitations.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi