Who wants to live forever?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago #214200 by
Replied by on topic Who wants to live forever?

Goken wrote: ...able to transfer our consciousness into machines, ...None of these options appeal to me.

whats wrong with transferring our consciousness into machines? better, stronger, faster, infiinitely adaptable, etc etc. why not?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #214201 by Zenchi
Replied by Zenchi on topic Who wants to live forever?
It's easy to turn down immortality when it's not available to you. In all honesty, if I'm on my deathbed about to croak and someone offers me a pill that can ensure my survival indefinitely I sure in hell ain't turning it down...

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by Zenchi.

More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #214202 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Who wants to live forever?
See this is what I'd do probably. But clone my mind just before death, rather then transfer it.

While there is no way of knowing if the machine me would really be me... like the question was the me that woke up this morning the same me that went to sleep. If I was going to die I might as well try it to find out. I'd try and get the best of both worlds, both die and yet live on. So if there is a spiritual domain beyond death, the flesh me moves on like normal.

If the transfer doesn't work then I'm dead like normal, but if it does work then I'd still be alive in the machine yet also have experienced death in the body. The only thing missing then is the machine me's experience of death. This could go on ad infinitum I suppose. Machine Adder wants to experience death so it clones its mind just before dying, but the issue would remain of that living machine version of mind not having experienced death. The only reason to clone machine me again though is if integral to some sort of science of death, such that the conditions of dying are specific to some nature of study... otherwise the machine mind that wanted to die would not bother doing the transfer. Though I reckon a machine version of my mind would realize it might just be better to run a version of itself which doesn't choose to die, and since it can clone itself if it wants to experience death it could just clone a copy of itself to go ahead and do that at anytime. But would that one really be me... its become a conditioned me.
:S
Anyway, there might have to be laws about how many 'minds' a person can have. Only one allowed unless the person is in the final phases of a terminal condition sort of thing. It mightn't matter where the mind was, but just how many there were.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by Adder.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #214203 by OB1Shinobi

Desolous wrote:

Goken wrote: ...able to transfer our consciousness into machines, ...None of these options appeal to me.

whats wrong with transferring our consciousness into machines? better, stronger, faster, infiinitely adaptable, etc etc. why not?

my first thought to this was "because theres no more sex!"

my next thought was - well my next thought really was "im not having a lot of it these days anyway :-(

but the next thought after that was "if we didnt have the bodies we have now, we wouldnt want sex in the same way that we want it now"

which then begs the question "what WOULD we want?"

a lot of the things that we value are predicated on the bodies we have

everything probably

afaik, all of our motivational systems begin with our human bodies - even the more abstract things we value like "love" or "freedom" are important to us as a condition or result of our biological nature

without our bodies, theres no telling what we would be

but, by definition, it wouldnt be human

it wouldnt DESIRE in the same way that a human desires, or conceptualize in the same way a human conceptualizes

i suppose it would desire SOMETHING, but, what would that be?

People are complicated.
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
8 years 4 months ago #214232 by OB1Shinobi
from Time Magazine

http://healthland.time.com/2013/12/19/reversing-aging-not-as-crazy-as-you-think/

"Reversing Aging: Not as Crazy as You Think

Harvard researchers find a new compound that can make old cells young again

....In an experiment in mice, the team found that giving older mice a chemical called NAD for just one week made 2-year-old-mice tissue resemble that of 6-month-old mice (in human years, that would be akin to a 60-year-old’s cells becoming more like those belonging to a 20-year-old)."

People are complicated.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago #214233 by
I'd like to live, not forever, but for a looong time. Yoda was able to gather a lot of knowledge, wisdom and experience. If there was a way to live for a long time, healthy enough to fight with lightsabers (jk), and with a lucid mind, I don't see why dying soon.

More
8 years 4 months ago #214244 by Kohadre
Replied by Kohadre on topic Who wants to live forever?
Whats the point in living even a day, if nothing continues after your death?

So long and thanks for all the fish
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

More
8 years 4 months ago #214246 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Who wants to live forever?

Kohadre wrote: Whats the point in living even a day, if nothing continues after your death?

Anything is more then nothing, if nothing continues after death. It would just mean you get the one shot at life.

The thing is no-one knows what the future holds. Change is always happening. It's just difficult to see because it does not happen uniformly in space - but it would seem to be increasing in rate through time.

While the 1985 version of me perhaps imagined some things would be possible in 2015 which are not, it did not expect some of the things which are. The tricky part was that it wasn't until I was about 34 that I actually noticed how much stuff changes. When I was in my early 20's everything seemed like it had stayed the same for the last 10 years. I reckon that sensation has something to do with the neural pruning process winding down maybe.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago #214255 by
I believe that there will come a time when science can not explain a few more things, will not be possible to transfer your consciousness to machines, because its soul can not be transferred, the Force does not translate into data, so die. Without saying that living forever is a problem, people go crazy.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago #214260 by

Zenchi wrote: It's easy to turn down immortality when it's not available to you. In all honesty, if I'm on my deathbed about to croak and someone offers me a pill that can ensure my survival indefinitely I sure in hell ain't turning it down...

I hope the Dr isn't the devil? :ohmy: :evil: :)

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi