Wisdom repeated back to you.. :)

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago #211266 by
I have a 7 year old daughter. Since she was old enough to talk I have often quoted Star Wars (mostly Yoda) to her. The one used most often is "Do. Or do not. There is no try" because what parent has not heard "I'm trying/I'll try/I tried" from their children at least a billion times? :woohoo:

Well, now whenever I say anything with "I try" in it, which is rare because I do my best to practice what I preach, she will get all Yoda on me.

I love it. If she grows up understanding the concepts and wisdom behind the quotes I'll know I did something correct in raising her. :silly:

I just wanted to share!

May the Force be with You All!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #211269 by OB1Shinobi
its funny because sometimes youll have a conversation with someone and youll be expressing ideas that they dont really agree with, but later youll hear (or see, i guess, with the internet) them in a conversation either again with you but maybe somewhere else, and they will actually express their own version of the same idea that you originally said to them, and they really think it was their idea! lol

and this will probably happen several times in most peoples lives

then it gets even funnier when i look at how i felt like i was so smart and they were so silly, but then i realize i have done the very same thing myself a hundred times and not even known thats what i was doing any more than they knew they were doing it lol

people are awesome

People are complicated.
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
8 years 4 months ago #211271 by Tellahane
sometimes we get lost in what we're doing we have to be reminded...that is awesome!
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #211272 by
Replied by on topic Wisdom repeated back to you.. :)
I have a different thing happening. When I was younger, I would reject wisdom out of hand sometimes from older generations.

Now, as I have come through the years, I realize that in many ways it is true that youth can be wasted on the young, and that some things, you simply have to live long enough to truly understand or appreciate.

I find I am the one now, as a father, a teacher, etc, that repeats the wisdom.

“When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.”

― Mark Twain
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by .

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago #211296 by
Replied by on topic Wisdom repeated back to you.. :)

Khaos wrote: I have a different thing happening. When I was younger, I would reject wisdom out of hand sometimes from older generations.

Now, as I have come through the years, I realize that in many ways it is true that youth can be wasted on the young, and that some things, you simply have to live long enough to truly understand or appreciate.

I find I am the one now, as a father, a teacher, etc, that repeats the wisdom.

This is also so very true. It is such a unique perspective to see our kids doing exactly what we did at their age, including ignoring all advice and wisdom from OUR parents. :D

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi