Land of Tomorrow

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #209731 by
Land of Tomorrow was created by
Today I saw a movie that I didn't think I would enjoy as much as I did. That movie was Tomorrowland. While it is generally geared toward kids, I actually found that it had a good message toward the end. What I'm about to say is a true spoiler if you would rather watch the movie and find out for yourself (because it will do a much better job explaining the following concepts than I can). If however, you just want the concepts, read on.

Warning: Spoiler!

What the world needs is positivity. Optimism. Otherwise we are feeding the wrong animal, the one that desires darkness and pain.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #209732 by
Replied by on topic Land of Tomorrow
Hope is a powerful tool, and the looming threat of inevitability works unfortunate wonders.

I personally have a family of very devout Christians. For the six 3/4 years since I've left their faith, I hear at every family function how it's a phase that will pass, or how Jesus is the only path to heaven. This is the inevitability that has been pounded into them by misguiding (though perhaps well intentioned) pastors. Yet, at the same time, I see the hope that their faith brings them. It empowers them, lets them get through the dark times with only the representation of light.

Society works much the same way, I believe. People need a light, whether it is real or imaginary.

More
8 years 5 months ago #209741 by Locksley
Replied by Locksley on topic Land of Tomorrow
Yeah man, I fricken loved that flick. Saw it twice and recommended it to my film theory professor - it's way better than I expected it to be, and definitely had some cool themes fermenting in it.

We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile, and nothing can grow there. Too much, the best of us is washed away. -- J. Michael Straczynski, Babylon 5

More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #209744 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Land of Tomorrow

Streen wrote:

Warning: Spoiler!

Or at least very open to suggestion and groupthink!! Such that could it suggest a pervasive and endemic sense of a lack of control over ones destiny?

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by Adder.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #209838 by
If I follow what you're suggesting, Adder, the point was that people did have control over their destiny, and they were choosing destruction.

More
8 years 5 months ago #209845 by Carlos.Martinez3
Replied by Carlos.Martinez3 on topic Land of Tomorrow
I'm waiting to see it.

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #209863 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Land of Tomorrow

Streen wrote: If I follow what you're suggesting, Adder, the point was that people did have control over their destiny, and they were choosing destruction.

Wasn't it a subliminal transmission, or suggestive through dreams, which was influencing them rather then informing a conscious decision making process? It's been awhile since I saw it.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by Adder.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #209934 by
The impression I got was that the machine saw the direction we were headed in (toward destruction) and it was running like a feedback loop, where the future was being shown on the machine which was rebroadcasting the future, influencing people which again showed up on the machine. It was a paradox, exponentially making things worse.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #210201 by
What about a 'universal library' in which there's a book for every topic under every sun that ever was or ever will be, every thought that anyone ever had or will? Such a library would then contain books about what happens precisely in the future, moment by moment. Also, a book of every unsolved misery inflicted on one creature to another. A book on every dictator who was currently just a tiny child. What would a reader do with such data?

What about the Librarian of such a library? What kind of creature would that be? What if you see that Librarian one day on the sidewalk, but you notice the Librarian is watching you? Would you ever want to meet such a creature?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #210278 by
I'm sorry, I guess I just don't see where you're headed with that. :\

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi