example of police militarization?

More
8 years 5 months ago #209442 by Kohadre
And yet the first people to be in high demand in any crisis situation are the police.

The way things work in our country has changed drastically. We now have more mass shootings and attacks than at any other point in our history, and we are now at the greatest risk for a terror attack since post 9/11.

This thread has come up before in many different ways, and I will again say I dont agree with nor do I appreicate the sentiment that the police have some kind of murder quota to fill, or that their default response to any incident is to "pop one off".

The police force is entirely volunteer based, there is no draft. Unfortunatly, people believe or seem to believe that police should have superhuman traits simply because they choose to enforce the laws that all the rest of us voted to put in place.

And you do vote....right?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

So long and thanks for all the fish

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #209446 by OB1Shinobi

Kohadre wrote: And yet the first people to be in high demand in any crisis situation are the police.

The way things work in our country has changed drastically. We now have more mass shootings and attacks than at any other point in our history, and we are now at the greatest risk for a terror attack since post 9/11.

This thread has come up before in many different ways, and I will again say I dont agree with nor do I appreicate the sentiment that the police have some kind of murder quota to fill, or that their default response to any incident is to "pop one off".

The police force is entirely volunteer based, there is no draft. Unfortunatly, people believe or seem to believe that police should have superhuman traits simply because they choose to enforce the laws that all the rest of us voted to put in place.

do you read the information that is presented when this topic comes up?

would your opinion change if there were convincing evidence that this is a real problem?

People are complicated.
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by OB1Shinobi.

• RyuJin
  • Topic Author
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
8 years 5 months ago #209451 by RyuJin
i don't seem to recall seeing that many laws on the ballot last time i voted...at least not as many laws as what gets passed...i'd vote against a good many of the laws that somehow get passed without public consent...

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #209453 by
Replied by on topic example of police militarization?
there are a lot of good cops who believe in what they're doing and try to make a difference but there are definitely some bad apples and yes we hear mostly about the bad apples. honestly cops are put into a lot of messed up situations and its hard to judge what to do and whos right or whos wrong. unfortunately they do definitely take full advantage of their status and have a union and what not to back them.

in my neck of the woods in CA dealing with prop 47 which reduced penalties for a variety of crimes has given petty criminals a green light to do what they want because they know they wont get in trouble. also up here we just dont have enough police for our large rural county and neighboring counties. the cities like eureka are full of tweakers, homeless, petty criminals that get booked and released cause the jail is full. rural areas you have to be your own police there are armed robberies every week especially because of the marijuana industry.

i've personally been in one of the local california highway patrol stations for questioning and i saw the quotas written out on a giant marker board it said monthly quotas on the top and there was traffic, theft, and drug type categories. the guy who brought me in wore a CHP jumpsuit with his head and eyebrows shaved. a lot the police nowadays are all ex military cause its the only job they can get since all they know how to do is follow orders and treat people like the military occupuation overseas.

really every able member of the community should be able to police, like how the constitutional militias were back in the day. now the militia are the state and national guards which will be used against the general public in almost any event, in some counties they have a community militia like structure at it can be anything, first responders, police, army engineers style, just groups of concerned citizens who come together on their own funding and free will to determine their local problems and develop and act on solutions. constitutional homeland security the book is called, it's a great read. but of course the govt and media want to get everyone to think about the stereotype hooligan militias who walk around in camouflage and rifles so they're scared so they think the police are the best source of protection. the worst criminal is the criminal hiding behind the badge.

idk i dont like to bash cops but a lot of this makes me very angry. :evil: :evil:

EDIT: and that new sheriff badge that says "we fight as one" that's absolutely ridiculous!!
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by .

More
8 years 5 months ago #209619 by Kohadre

OB1Shinobi wrote:

Kohadre wrote: And yet the first people to be in high demand in any crisis situation are the police.

do you read the information that is presented when this topic comes up?

would your opinion change if there were convincing evidence that this is a real problem?

I read it, but that doesn't mean I agree with all of it.

I'm getting a "most police are militant" vibe from this topic, and posted my response accordingly. There is another thread going on the forum regarding refugees and Islamist militants, and the consensus seems to be in that thread, that you can't generalize an entire group of people based on the actions of a few extremists.

But maybe the same attitude doesn't, or shouldn't apply to police?

So long and thanks for all the fish
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #209620 by Adder

Lightstrider wrote: EDIT: and that new sheriff badge that says "we fight as one" that's absolutely ridiculous!!

Unless they mean all law abiding citizens fight as one against crime. If they mean as a Police Force (which would be the likely interpretation since it is a badge representing that Force) against everyone else, then yea its really inappropriate to use the word 'fight' in that context where proportionality deliberately is not meant to be balanced between them and everyone else IMO. Ya know, if you (not you you, general anyone you) consider Police need to have more firepower then the citizens...?

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by Adder.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi