Does living "in the now" lead to resistance to change?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 7 months ago #203611 by
In the last few weeks I have run into several changes or possible changes both personally and professionally. Some of these changes I was not happy with and others I simply didn't feel were needed. This has caused multiple people to tell me that I'm just "being to resistant to change" or even "afraid of change." I am currently doing some introspection on this possible aspect of myself and wondered about how others see this in themselves.

As a Jedi I try to live very much in the now. I don't fret over the unchangeable past or worry about the possibly non-existent future. I feel that I am very happy with the way things are so I'm not in a big hurry to change it. I can see how this might be interpreted as not liking change.

Has anyone else found this to be true? Has living in the now made you seem resistant to change? Maybe the opposite is true for you. Has living in the now given you the flexibility to simply roll with change? Has anyone else been accused of being "change-phobic?" Did you find that to be true or were you resisting only negative change while embracing good or unavoidable change?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #203615 by Alexandre Orion
'Now', as it were, is not the same 'now' as "right now" ... there really isn't much of any division to 'now' and the state(s) of things that make it up ...

'Now' can't be counted ; thus the variables that combine and re-combine that we observe as changes are all in that constant expanse of perception that is all of time (hence, not time).

Resisting change is not merely saying "no" to whatever succeeds, but saying "no" to everything else as well - even to what one would have otherwise kept. Not all changes may be pleasant one, but that is transitory ... even if it does bring about some pleasant-ness, that as well is transitory.

If the soul is the starting-point of our consideration, complete relation can be understood only in a bipolar way, only as the coincidentia oppositorum, as the coincidence of oppositions of feeling. Of course, the one pole--suppresed by the person's basic religious attitude--often disappears from the reflective consciousness, and can only be recalled in the purest and most ingenuous consideration of the depths of the being.

~ Martin Buber

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by Alexandre Orion.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 7 months ago #203618 by
Coincidentally I have a service tomorrow related to this topic! It's important to be mindful of what changes happen in your life, what and how will be affected, where this change will likely take you and the context (including historical) in which the change came about. You don't want to stumble about in the dark.

I'm not sure if this would be considered as living "in the Now", but if a change occurs and maybe it isn't really needed and doesn't really change a whole lot then your best option might be to just shrug and go "Ok, I guess we're doing this from now".

If the change isn't a big deal then there isn't much point in making a big deal of it. That being said constant meaningless changes can be an issue in themselves especially if all they are really doing is just creating more work which doesn't need to be created.

If there are other changes which are more substantial and not making you happy then you should ask yourself why they aren't making you happy. What are the results of such a change? Are the results positive? Negative? Insubstantial? If bad or silly things will result from a change then your position might be well-founded.

More
8 years 7 months ago #203621 by OB1Shinobi
to me, living in the now is the total acceptance of change

things are changing RIGHT NOW

the only way to be in the now is to accept and run with the changes as they happen, otherwise we are holding on to the past

People are complicated.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi