Lightsaber Meditation

More
8 years 10 months ago #195221 by Alsa-him
In my current studies I have spent much time doing the first lesson Myth, Part one- The Hero’s Adventure and found one line of the video profound “Life is a meditation”. I have also come across a recent topic of Lightsaber training outside of the temple. Now with much thought I have come to the conclusion that as Jedi we should be required to practice the art of the lightsaber. I came to this conclusion by focusing on the line “life is a meditation” and how Asian cultures practice the sword. They spend hours and even days of practice on the sword which brings great focus and discipline as does meditation. I believe that these cultures used the sword to bring them interspace and understanding as well as meditation so they exercise the body and the mind. So with that in mind I would like to know if you think we should have classes in the Temple for lighsaber training. Please tell me why you agree or disagree and add extra facts or information than I have provided above.

Emrys Barden
EB

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 10 months ago #195224 by Breeze el Tierno
You will find many devotees of the sword in this Temple. But you will find more who are not.

If a symbol works for your cultivation, wonderful. The sword, as physical and mental object, is central to my practice. But the Path is always senior to the symbols you employ. Don't let yourself get caught up. Certainly, to require one metaphor over another would not serve.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #195226 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Lightsaber Meditation

Now with much thought I have come to the conclusion that as Jedi we should be required to practice the art of the lightsaber.

Mm-mmm....

While an individual can decide it is a part of their personal path, to decide for another, what is required in their path, doesn't seem to be what we are about, here at TOTJO...

Since you brought it up, what percentage of martial artists practice with a weapon?

I am an ex-tkd instructor, I never taught (or learned) weapons....

While I.could see some training benefits, if my self defense revolved around a weapon, (any one, not just me), would I/they remember their non weapons self defense if they were weaponless? My GM, when ask about weapons, scoffed, mentioning you can't walk down the street carrying a sword, axe, bo, what is the (practical) point?

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by Jestor.

More
8 years 10 months ago #195227 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic Lightsaber Meditation
i agree

but first someone needs to invent a lightsaber

People are complicated.

More
8 years 10 months ago #195231 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Lightsaber Meditation
It's an apt exercise for meditation/visualization, given the name of the Temple and we call ourselves Jedi, but of course we aren't trying to be 'those' Jedi - they are one fictional example of Jedi, not 'the' example of Jedi.

I do dabble in the visualization and movement of a blade, as an exercise... but as self defence it's not really relevant.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 10 months ago #195235 by
Replied by on topic Lightsaber Meditation

OB1Shinobi wrote: i agree

but first someone needs to invent a lightsaber

This.

And I'll echo - If it works for you then awesome! But what I have come to love about TOTJO is that they do not require their members to follow any one faith, or practice in any one way. The freedom to walk our own paths is what makes this place so special!

More
8 years 10 months ago #195237 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic Lightsaber Meditation
TOTJO Jedi aren't "required" to do much. And most of us prefer it that way.

That said, there are scads of places you can learn swordwork, and there are even at least two lightsaber-specific combat groups in the world with which you can study. If you attain knighthood in TOTJO and a teaching certification from one of them, I'm sure you'd be more than welcome to teach voluntary classes here, but I really don't see "mandatory" anything going over well here.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi