Asking for advice

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 3 months ago #346968 by
Replied by on topic Asking for advice
I think the most logical solution here is a consultation with the doctor. Pain in the whole spine is definitely a symptom of some kind of illness, and trying to solve the problem without any medical help... Not the best idea.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 3 months ago #346992 by
Try meditation cushion called zafu, it really helps to reduce back pain!

More
4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #346996 by Malicious
Replied by Malicious on topic Asking for advice
Well personally I experience some pain in my lower back but when I get it popped then it doesn't really bother me . If you have someone to help pop your back all you have to do is face back to back and lock arms , then have them bend forward with you back being bent over theirs this usually pops the entire spine maybe try this and wait a few minutes before meditating it might help .

=_= Malicious (+_+)

Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by Malicious.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 3 months ago #346997 by
So I've tried a few different solutions and I'm back to report my findings so others can maybe benefit.

The number one thing that's made a HUGE difference is a back brace. The added support makes a sitting position do-able for a decent amount of time (and is also helping with my posture during work so that's a bonus).

I've tried a few new positions that have more support or don't depend on a fully functional healthy back. I found quite a few of them worked really well. I still have trouble with a laying position because I fall asleep but plenty of others have worked wonders.

Thank you all for your responses and taking the time to help! It's greatly appreciated.

May the force be with you all :)

More
4 years 3 months ago #346999 by Leah Starspectre
Replied by Leah Starspectre on topic Asking for advice
I use a kind of lounge position. I'm not lying down flat, so I don't fall asleep, but I use bolster pillows on my bed to prop me up. I'm comfortable, but not so comfortable that I get sleepy.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 3 months ago #347001 by

KingNothing wrote: Sitting cross legged on the floor has always been my preferred posture for meditation, but I'm finding as I re-introduce myself to meditation it causes a ton of back pain. It has been a number of years since taking the time to meditate and though I'm not very old I have a few old injuries and a lot of back pain from military service. If I lay down to meditate I fall asleep.

Any recommended alternate meditation positions with a little more back support that still doesn't feel lazy?

Attachment 81Lq2tSL4IL._AC_SL1500_.jpg not found

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FAHZCR4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Invest in a Zafu/Zabuton set.
A Zafu/zabuton are a type of pillow/cushion used by Zen practicioners in Japan for centuries.
And as the owner of a set, I can see why.
They virtually eliminate any back/hip pain caused by meditation because their construction naturally props you up into a meditation position, so you can meditate without having to really support yourself as much.
I recommend them. They can be a bit pricey, but if you are experiencing back pain, these are really worth the investment.
The link I included (what's pictured) is a less costly but quality set.
Attachments:

More
4 years 3 months ago #347013 by ZealotX
Replied by ZealotX on topic Asking for advice
I would recommend using a zero G chair

https://www.amazon.com/Caravan-Sports-Infinity-Gravity-Chair/dp/B004KWBP1W/ref=sr_1_11?crid=3I4B4T66808UL&keywords=zero+g+recliner&qid=1575903209&s=home-garden&sprefix=zero+g+re%2Cgarden%2C141&sr=1-11

I'm 6'2, 260+lbs. Yoga and all that stuff is great for smaller people with shorter limbs. But for me, its painful and any sort of pain interferes with and defeats the purpose of meditation. If you're so comfortable that you might fall asleep, that's actually a good thing. You want your body to be able to go to sleep but retain some consciousness and mental awareness. So I think comfort and back support should come first and then you simply practice meditating to where you don't fall asleep.

Good luck and may the force be with you.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi