Mantras

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 months ago #307176 by
Mantras was created by
I have a few questions for anyone who does meditation with a mantra.

Do you use a word or a phrase?
Is it an actual word or a specific sound?
Do you speak it aloud or in your head?
Do you have a favorite mantra?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 3 months ago #307179 by MadHatter
Replied by MadHatter on topic Mantras
This is a very interesting set of questions. I have to ask how long do you feel a mantra should be? Because to answer this I have to know if what I use for my morning meditations counts as a mantra lol

Knight of the Order
Training Master: Jestor
Apprentices: Lama Su, Leah
Just a pop culture Jedi doing what I can

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 months ago #307182 by
Replied by on topic Mantras
(1) I use a phrase.
(2) In theory, they are actual words, but it's also Sanskrit as pronounced by Japanese speakers, so it might as well just be sounds. But I do know what it's supposed to mean.
(3) Usually just in my head. Sometimes, I say it out loud to clear my thoughts or to force myself to concentrate.
(4) I'm not sure if "favorite" is the right word, but yes, I have mantra that I use more often than others. (It feels more like I have other mantras that I sometimes use.) My experience is that having a primary mantra means that it is easier to use that mantra to adjust my own mental space under stress: It's a bit of self-hypnosis and having the signals be otherwise consistent is very helpful.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 months ago #307188 by
(1) I use phrases, some my own and some from the Doctrine
(2) I haven't used sounds, always words or phrases
(3) I usually speak them in my head, but occasionally I'll speak them aloud
(4) I have a couple:
"Right here, right now, right action."
"This step, on this path, in this moment."

You can also steal pretty much anything Chirrut Imwe says in Rogue One :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 months ago #307192 by
Both phrases and specific sounds. Sometimes I will use a bija associated with a particular energy center or quality, but more often it'll be something like, "Emotion, yet peace." Normally just in my head. Once in a while it's fun to say them out loud and have bystanders wonder what I'm up to. (Courtroom is not the best place for that, don't ask me how I know.)

More
6 years 3 months ago #307195 by thomaswfaulkner
Replied by thomaswfaulkner on topic Mantras
(1.) I will use a combination of either words or phrases depending on the type of mediation I am using, but most often it is a phrase.
(2.) I have tried sounds before and yeah, that's just not my slice of cheese. :)
(3.) I typically say it in my head. I save saying it out loud for those out of control chaotic moments.
(4.) I typically do the same style as Senan and Atticus. My morning mantra is the "May all being be happy and free and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life contribute, in some way, to the happiness and freedom for all. "

Right View ~ Right Intention ~ Right Speech ~ Right Action ~ Right Livelihood ~ Right Effort ~ Right Mindfulness ~ Right Concentration

Knight of the Order
Ordained Clergy Person
Teaching Master: Senan
IP Journal l AP Journal l Seminary Journal l Personal Ministry Statement

If you need to talk, we are here to listen.
Contact the Clergy

May all beings be happy and free and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life contribute
in some way to the happiness and freedom for all.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ,

More
6 years 3 months ago #307200 by Carlos.Martinez3
Replied by Carlos.Martinez3 on topic Mantras
Personally use
The sun is shining the grass is geeen ....
Mentally It brings me to a place I need to be often .
Regardless of situation and weather the sun is shining . I often imitate nature . I meditate with sunflowers so I find the sun ... aka the energy . I collect it inside and say the grass is green ... that's me and I use the energy I find . My mantra , one of many .

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 months ago #307204 by
It just depends on the purpose and situation of said Mantra speaking. I don't do it....at all....ever....except for when I am in need of intense focus to get through a painful or tough situation. In which case it ends up being whatever my spirit calls for.

My second labor was actually just counting.

1....deep breaths....2...deep breaths....3......ooooffff.....4....deep breaths....

To me. A Mantra is whatever calls to you spiritually and it is never a stagnated or specific monodramatic thing that you brain wash yourself with. It speaks to the heart.

So...play with them an find what works for you. :)

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 months ago #307254 by
Thank you for the responses everyone.

And Hatter, to answer your question I would say anything that you say to yourself while in meditation, regardless of length.

More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #307267 by MadHatter
Replied by MadHatter on topic Mantras
I use a few phrases for meditative purposes. I use the code for times of stress.

In the morning to get going I use: As my day begins may I renew the connection to the Force, my mind is centered and the code close to my heart.

I also say the following reminder as I put on my three bracelets: May I remember my start, May I remember my training, May I remember my duty.

I generally say these things in my head and I do not favor any of them they are situational tools

Knight of the Order
Training Master: Jestor
Apprentices: Lama Su, Leah
Just a pop culture Jedi doing what I can
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by MadHatter.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi