Lucasfilm Sues ‘Lightsaber Academy’ and ‘Jedi Club’ Over Trademark Infringement

More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #261845 by steamboat28

Tarran wrote: I mean, what you're saying seems to tell me that it is copyright infringement even for using "Jedi" in the name of a simple Facebook fan page

Trademark, but potentially. It depends on how that term is used. Trademarks are given for a specific purpose. For example, using the term "droid" in regards to electronic devices is a breach of trademark, since LucasFilm Ltd. has really only licensed Motorola to use that in any non-sci-fi electronic setting. Moto didn't buy the trademark, but they're leasing it with permission.

On the other hand, using the word "droid" as a brand name for a loaf of bread would probably not cause any trouble, because I doubt that LucasFilm Ltd. registered a trademark for droid under "general baked goods."

There are tons of opinions at this Temple about religious use and educational use, but those apply to copyright not trademark. A trademark is like a brand name or a logo; if you use it, you're telling people you're associated with a thing. We are not associated with that thing (though we are inspired by it), so that could get a little tricky down the road if they swing at us.
[hr]

P.S. ~ Lucasfilm Ltd. is still owned by George Lucas, yes? So it is HE who is doing the suing mentioned in this thread's title, not Disney, right?

Let us remember a few key things:
  1. Disney owns Star Wars.
  2. Disney is the reason intellectual property law is so complex and ridiculous today.

Also, I'm going to say this one more time because it's really, really, really f***all important:
This case is about Trademarks, not Copyrights.

Why do I keep bringing that up, you ask?
Because copyright is the one with Fair Use. There is no fair use with Trademark. Period. Ever. Because it's intended to keep brands identities separated and cut down on competition, there cannot be any kind of fair use in a trademark case. The only times you can get away with using a trademark if you don't own it is if you are discussing it, or if it is a general word that has or had other meanings in general speech.
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by steamboat28.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Br. John, Jestor

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #261869 by Jestor

Tarran wrote: But uhm... I'm trying to understand the *how*... (on "Jediism" as well as on "Jedi", though it may make no difference)... is it because... damnit, I thought I had a thought for a second (LOL)... no, seriously - I mean, what you're saying seems to tell me that it is copyright infringement even for using "Jedi" in the name of a simple Facebook fan page! Isn't that a correct assessment? I mean, what are we to do? Are we not then, even now, actually-factually infringing upon copyright law even as I type/we read this??

We MUST be law-abiding... so what are we to do??

I find this very unnerving, very unsettling, and very-very-very uncool :(

ok, Steamboat has pointed out the differences with copywrite and trademark...

But, I want to address this point of Tarran's...

Life "is"...

You say "we must be law-abiding"...

I am... I abide the 'spirit' of the law', I have to adhere to 'natures laws' (poetic license here you pedantic folks!!) and basically try to do what I feel is right... Hopefully, the law and I agree more than we disagree (says the elected official, lol)

I have no trouble running a red light to get to the emergency room for an emergency, yet, I stop like a law-abiding citizen when I am not in an emergency.. And, even when I break the law, I try to be as careful as possible, to only go as far as I need to, and I am prepared to face the consequences... ;)

So, I am not making a statement as to whether we are 'legal' or not, I am simply saying, that I hope I am, Im comfortable if I am breaking the law, and will do as I need to should my actions be challenged... :)

That make sense?

We have had people quit being Jedi because of a stance, or action we have had/taken, and to point to the fiction (for some, this is old hat for me), QuiGon nudged those dice to win Anakin, ObiWon lied to the autorites about the droids they were looking for, as well as he Luke and Han damaged government property when they rescued Leia... Not to mention all the other times they did that... lol...

Ive condoned actions that might seem un-jedi to some, but, I did not do it for myself, but rather for the greater good...

This is always on my mind... ;)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by Jestor.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Br. John, Archon, Avalon, Tarran

More
7 years 6 months ago #261875 by Br. John
Disney purchased 100% of George Lucas's interest in LucasFilms. It is a separate corporation but it's 100% owned by Disney.

Founder of The Order
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Tarran

More
7 years 6 months ago #261879 by Br. John
We are not using 'Jedi' or 'Jedi Order' under a theory of fair use. We're using it for a purposes not covered under LucasFilms trademarks. I cannot prove it. Nobody can prove that we're violating it either. The only way to do that is have it go to court and have a judgment. Then there's an appeal and that ruling would be the final say unless the Supreme Court took up the matter. Then they would have the final say. Until that day comes anything anyone says is an opinion and a guess. I do not believe we are in violation of any trademarks because what we are and what we do are not covered under any trademark. There are also First Amendment constitutional issues but that can never be tested unless it's brought to court.

Does anyone think LucasFilms attorneys and TPTB (The Powers That Be) don't know about us? It costs a few dollars to send a certified letter to me. My name and address are public record for anyone who want's to file a lawsuit against The Order or send an official letter.

Them not doing so is not permission at all. They could send a letter tomorrow or years from now. But as of the time I write this they have not.

Founder of The Order
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, RyuJin, Jestor, Archon, Breeze el Tierno, Tarran

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 6 months ago #261891 by
We should also consider why these particular entities were targeted for infringing on trademarks and how it compares to our use. It could be argued that Disney would be likely to create a "Lightsaber Academy" as part of the new Star Wars attractions at Disneyland or create a "Jedi" themed cantina/night club at any one of their resorts. This would put them at odds with the existing groups who would be competing with them in a similar trade, so they have chosen to sue them. The question for the court becomes whether or not these uses would be protected under the current trademarks owned by Disney or not. If so, Disney will win.

The same situation could apply to our name someday. If Disney decides to include a "Jedi Temple" in the Star Wars attraction currently being built at Disneyland, they might become much more interested in our use of the trademark. If they never have a good use for "Jedi" Order or Temple, they may not ever care that we borrowed a trademarked term because our website won't be competing with them or hurt their ability to still effectively exploit and monetize the "Jedi" trademark in other ways.

Ultimately, the owner of the trademark gets to decide how strongly they wish to protect it and from whom.

More
7 years 6 months ago #261902 by Br. John
An amusement park Jedi Temple and a real Jedi Temple are extremely different things. If we were talking about James Bond as compared to a real MI6 agent or House MD compared to a real doctor would anyone be confused?

Founder of The Order
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tarran

More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #261904 by Tarran

Jestor wrote:

Tarran wrote: We MUST be law-abiding... so what are we to do??

I find this very unnerving, very unsettling, and very-very-very uncool :(

ok, Steamboat has pointed out the differences with copywrite and trademark...

Yes, I flubbed. It comes from typing, while exhausted both physically and mentally, late at night after work, and a bit stressed by this news - my bad lol

You say "we must be law-abiding"...

Yes, I understand and fully agree with your points, of course :) I'd wondered if I should have elaborated... I suppose I mean that we must refrain from infringing upon the rights of others - not so much in some hyper-technical sense which would harm utterly no-one in any way, shape, form, or fashion, but... I would include setting a bad example to others as harm.

Now, in precisely what we do and how, including what we are NOT doing with our derivative of a trademarked term ("Jediism"), I truthfully don't think we are setting any. That is, we are NOT; making a profit; harming/distorting an image; inserting apocryphal material; altering or influencing any course of business; etc. - so far, therefore I feel I'm morally violating no-one.

And now,...

steamboat28 wrote:

Tarran wrote: I mean, what you're saying seems to tell me that it is copyright infringement even for using "Jedi" in the name of a simple Facebook fan page

Trademark, but potentially. It depends on how that term is used. Trademarks are given for a specific purpose. For example, using the term "droid" in regards to electronic devices is a breach of trademark, since LucasFilm Ltd. has really only licensed Motorola to use that in any non-sci-fi electronic setting. Moto didn't buy the trademark, but they're leasing it with permission.

On the other hand, using the word "droid" as a brand name for a loaf of bread would probably not cause any trouble, because I doubt that LucasFilm Ltd. registered a trademark for droid under "general baked goods."

I see.

I can see how nauseating headaches can come from the type of lawyer language this can easily fling into... this is precisely why I dropped demonology decades ago :P lol

Okay, you raise two points which seem interesting...

There are tons of opinions at this Temple about religious use and educational use, but those apply to copyright not trademark. A trademark is like a brand name or a logo; if you use it, you're telling people you're associated with a thing. We are not associated with that thing (though we are inspired by it), so that could get a little tricky down the road if they swing at us.

And...

The only times you can get away with using a trademark if you don't own it is if you are discussing it, or if it is a general word that has or had other meanings in general speech.

Now it seems that we sort of cover not being associated per se (though inspired), by stating on the front page that we are not the Jedi from the movies, as they are fictional characters in a literary universe. And yet, while we are inspired by the film's, and the Jedi therein, a gi-hugic part of what we do here is discussing them. And hey, is it not within our rights as appreciators of such inspirational art? Even to the point of our living out our homage to the artist for the inspiration given? Perhaps we need to nail down just what *are* the rights of the inspired, the patron, the influenced learner, and all else that one might apply to anyone in our humble and sincere position.

Apprentice to J. K. Barger
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by Tarran.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor

More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #261905 by Br. John
I've discussed trademark issues with several attorneys and in their (off the record unpaid) opinions we are not infringing. Without a court judgment it's a guess and an opinion. Nothing more - nothing less.

Since we are a bona fide religious order there are First Amendment issues which are superior to any law or any regulation. Again the only way to know for sure is to have it decided in a court of law.

Founder of The Order
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by Br. John.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Jestor, , Tarran

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #261906 by

Br. John wrote: An amusement park Jedi Temple and a real Jedi Temple are extremely different things. If we were talking about James Bond as compared to a real MI6 agent or House MD compared to a real doctor would anyone be confused?

Very true, Br. John. You raise a fair point. We are not trying to benefit commercially or creating confusion among consumers about whether this Temple is associated with Disney or Star Wars in any way, so I would hope that Disney would see it this way as well.
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by Br. John.

More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #261908 by Adder
She'll be right mate!!!! But if push comes to shove then perhaps 'Jediism' gets around it... the study/path/pursuit of something rather then pretending to be something would seem to step around it in another way perhaps.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by Adder.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Tarran