Australians urged not to pledge ‘Jedi’ as their religion in Census

More
7 years 7 months ago #250488 by Carlos.Martinez3
This is one of those counts in the world that is large enough to say..." Census people...law makers... govmnt...needs to update and regroup and catch up. That's what it seems to me... took offence and got over it. There IS something going on there....a bit hidden and bigger it seems....hmmmm must meditate! Thanks Marta!

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor,

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #250490 by Zenchi
People can be pretty superficial. We're also primates. Give a monkey a typewriter and paper then tell it not to make a mess, see what happens.

How many people would push the big red button if they were told not too? How many would if they were notified that dire consequences would result, just to see what would happen?

We expect people to think and behave the same way we do, and as a result, we get disappointed. The real question is, why does this not sit well us?

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by Zenchi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor,

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 7 months ago #250493 by

carlos.martinez3 wrote: This is one of those counts in the world that is large enough to say..." Census people...law makers... govmnt...needs to update and regroup and catch up. That's what it seems to me... took offence and got over it. There IS something going on there....a bit hidden and bigger it seems....hmmmm must meditate! Thanks Marta!

It will be fine , we will catch up as a religion, nothing to get our knickers in a twist about haha, its just not nice when people call my religion a joke :)

More
7 years 7 months ago #250498 by Carlos.Martinez3
Right? If they only knew the freedom and joy... smh I would totally volunteer to fill a missionary status down under any day... for the Temples sake of course. Jk but not really... what if they just needed... a word.. or... a push forward? Just an old Jedi s heart on his sleeve there...

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #250505 by
If anyone, no matter you secondary (or first) religious beliefs, codes, morals, habitual living, and circumstance.....[b]can[/b] be a Jedi with no universal laws, doctrines, and standards. Then how is there such a thing as someone who "Dosn't take the Jedi Path seriously."

It is ANYONES.....Free right.....to call themselves a Jedi, because....EVERYONE.....Can be a Jedi.

Therefor. If a Non religious, Non follower of any of the online "Jedi Groups" - wants to choose "Jedi" on the Census. Edit: Simply because they want to do so. They should have that right

Just my thoughts.
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by .

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #250506 by

Trisskar wrote: If anyone, no matter you secondary (or first) religious beliefs, codes, morals, habitual living, and circumstance.....[b]can[/b] be a Jedi with no universal laws, doctrines, and standards. Then how is there such a thing as someone who "Dosn't take the Jedi Path seriously."

It is ANYONES.....Free right.....to call themselves a Jedi, because....EVERYONE.....Can be a Jedi.

Therefor. If a Non religious, Non follower of any of the online "Jedi Groups" - wants to choose "Jedi" on the Census. They should have that right to do so.

Just my thoughts.

Owkeeh , but this Poster says that Jediism is a "Joke" religion , so they dont take Jedi at all serious , and i never said someone had to be a part of a "community " as such , there are a lot of christians who never go to church but still live "the live" according to Yeshua , but all i said was , if you are not a Jedi and dont believe in the Force than dont put that as your religion , but then again , i cannot tell people what to do can i , just make a suggestion :dry:
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 7 months ago #250509 by

MartaLina wrote: Owkeeh , but this Poster says that Jediism is a "Joke" religion so they dont take Jedi at all serious

Correct. But since Jediism in itself allows anyone and everyone to be a Jedi......Who cares if others call us a Joke? They have that right, and they have the right to be Jedi because.....Anyone can be.

i never said someone had to be a part of a "community "

I never said that you said as much ;) I was speaking in general......

all i said was , if you are not a Jedi and dont believe in the Force than dont put that as your religion , but then again , i cannot tell people what to do can i , just make a suggestion :dry:

There are no universal laws or rules to being a Jedi. So if someone DOES NOT believe in the force (In fact there are many Jediists who dont) and do not practice it (Practice what exactly? There are no universal things to practice that makes you a Jedi) then anyone, anywhere, for anything....Can claim to be a Jedi.

And if on a Census putting "Jedi" is how they wish to answer something the government has not right to be asking in the first place....All power to them.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 7 months ago #250511 by

And if on a Census putting "Jedi" is how they wish to answer something the government has not right to be asking in the first place....All power to them.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 7 months ago #250516 by
Man... If you're a Jedi, who is religious as a Jedi, then write it down...
If not, don't.

If it IS just a joke and you're writing it down as a substitute for atheism or agnosticism, and you aren't a Jedi, don't joke and call yourself one on the census.

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
7 years 7 months ago #250528 by Brenna
New Zealanders were urged the same at the last census. But they at least offered an explanation along with it. When they do the counts no matter what religion you pick you're counted as "religious". The initial push back (from the kiwis at least. I'm not sure if the Aussies did it for the same reasons) was that we didn't think we should have to disclose whether or not we had a faith of any kind and that it was not only invasive but also irrelevant.

So putting Jedi kind of defeated the point. Except that some of us put Jedi as a serious answer. And said so on our forms.

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me
The following user(s) said Thank You: Avalon, , Leah Starspectre