LIVE SERVICE - Monday 12 August 2100UTC

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 8 months ago #115214 by
To find your converted time, click here .

I will be giving this service tomorrow. :) It will be about 20 minutes tops, as long as we don't start late like we did last month. :P

It will include the normal rites with music, as well as a sermon excerpt. The sermon will also be published.

Everyone is welcome and it is always great to see any new members. If you are not sure how to find the chatroom, you can access it by clicking here .

I hope to see you there! It's my first service, so no complaining. :P

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
10 years 8 months ago #115216 by Brenna
Save me a seat in the front row!!

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 8 months ago #115218 by
haha. I'll do my best.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 8 months ago #115227 by
Could a Councillor please publish this to the sermon section. Thank you!

Escaping Average, sermon.

"I woke up this morning and thought to myself: “Gee, my life is average”. I remember, at one point as a teenager, that there was/is a website where one could go and write about how his/her life was just… blah. Normal. Nothing going on. I thought to myself: “I wonder if there is a large population in the 1st world that has an ‘average’ life.” I looked up the statistic. Turns out, though, there isn’t a statistic for People who are Average. I realized that this could only be because Average is personal for everybody. Each person has an internal scale of percentage that determines their Average from their Horrible from their Awesome. As Jedi, I think it’s high time we got around to finding our Awesome and decreasing our Average.

In order to find our Awesome, we need to define it. There’s only one problem, I can’t define it for you. This is a step that people tend to hate. They want to open a self-help book and be TOLD “Hey, this is what AWESOME is”. But, again, if there was a distinct AWESOME, then we would know and there would be a statistic. There isn’t. So we need to perform something called an Average Audit.

I got this idea from a man named Jon Acuff. His book, Start, is a brilliant book and a great way to begin finding your Awesome. It also goes into detail about how to develop that awesome in action-adventure style. I hope you read it since I’m NOT going to write a book for a sermon.

How do you perform an Average Audit?

First, take stock of the Seven Areas of Your Life: Physical, Spiritual, Financial, Family, Social, Intellectual, and Career. Write out in each of those areas how much you are AWESOME and how much you are Average. Don’t feel any pressure to make one look conventionally successful. If you are perfectly happy having one really amazing friend, and you don’t need nobody else *snap*, then feel free to put that you are Awesome in the social category. If you wish you had a better relationship with your father? You are average in the Family category.

Does any of this mean that you need to change? Yes. It does.

So many times, I see spiritually enlightened people who praise contentment over hard work. They say: “why work so hard? Why can’t you be happy with what you’ve got?”

I am happy with what I’ve got. I have the capacity to grow and change. THAT makes me happy more than most things. I am content in the land of changing. Contentment isn’t about staying still as a rock in the midst of a storm. It doesn’t mean you have to stay frozen forever and live like a hippy in a jungle. It doesn’t mean you have to resign to be homeless. It doesn’t mean you have to give up a high paying executive job for a minister position. It means you constantly realize more and more what makes you happy, and you are content to follow it. If, for some reason, you end up CEO of Google and you realize one day that you are meant to guide in a church… then sure, give it some good thought, try it out, and see if giving up money for happiness is worth it. (I’ll give you a hint, if it truly brings you happiness, it’s worth it).

Life has a way of guiding you to your happiness in one way or another. It is up to you to recognize those signs and to grab hold. This is why we do the Average Audit.

Once you’ve found your average, then ask yourself: What debts are holding me back? What will it take to make this area AWESOME? What role models can I follow and research? What assets do I already have that will make this jump to AWESOME easier?

It’s ok to be unrealistic. It’s ok to be afraid. To put BIG thoughts on the paper. Maybe if you’re a musician, you want to meet John Williams. That’s HUGE, especially if you live in Russia. It would take SO MUCH effort to do it. But, maybe if you let yourself dream like that, you might find your true passions buried beneath the social conditioning of reality. Maybe, just maybe, you’ll realize you want to write film music… and you’ve been a lawyer for 30 years.

Take your Average Audited Areas, and list out: What is the first step to making one of these areas Awesome?

Do it.

Write on a post-it-note: “Some is better than None”. And, put that post-it-note EVERYWHERE. On your alarm clock. Your iPhone. Make a T-shirt. Put it on a billboard. I don’t care. But make sure you see it every day. Make sure you remember that taking the first step is the hardest.

It’s so freaking cheesy, but BELIEVE in those wild, unrealistic dreams. Why? Because underneath all that dreaming? Watching Dancing with the Stars every night? Reading Buddhism books every day? Running two miles every day just to feel the wind in your face?

Those are all notices from life: “HEY, your Awesome is waiting right outside this door… Answer the door. Please.”

May the Force be with you.

-Rev. Connor Lidell, Licensed Minister of the Force."

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
10 years 8 months ago #115228 by Jestor
Wescli placed it, I published it...

You are "live"...;)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 8 months ago #115229 by
Teamwork! Thanks. :)

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 8 months ago #115258 by
Service starts in ONE HOUR! :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 8 months ago #115260 by
Good luck! I'll be in a car communiting.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 8 months ago #115261 by
Service now. :) Come join us!

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 8 months ago #115262 by
Transcript!

(17:10:05) Desolous: lets do this, connor!
(17:10:09) Connor_Lidell: Welcome, everyone, to TOTJO’s monthly live service.
(17:10:25) Connor_Lidell: Whether you’ve been here for years or days or hours, I’d like to welcome you to this time of reflection and celebration.
We shall begin with a prayer that Mark, Pastor of TOTJO, wrote a while back.
Feel free, as always, to retype the prayer, think the prayer, or say it outloud, or all of the above.
(17:10:46) Connor_Lidell: “You, Protector of all beings,
(17:11:06) Connor_Lidell: Great destroyer of our hosts of demons,
(17:11:20) Connor_Lidell: Please, O Living Force, Knower of All,
(17:11:33) Connor_Lidell: Come to this place with your company.” – Mark Anjuu.
(17:12:03) Connor_Lidell: I’d like to precede the sermon with an affirmation of our Jedi worldview by reciting the Creed of TOTJO.
Please, as always, feel free to resound the Creed in any way you’d like, as per tradition.
(17:12:22) Connor_Lidell: I am a Jedi, an instrument of peace;
(17:12:27) Alexandre_Orion: I am a Jedi, an instrument of Peace ;
(17:12:37) Brenna: I am a Jedi, an instrument of Peace
(17:12:41) Proteus: I am a Jedi, an instrument of peace
(17:13:02) Connor_Lidell: Where there is hatred, I shall bring love;
(17:13:08) Alexandre_Orion: Where there is hatred I shall bring Love ;
(17:13:10) Brenna: Where there is hatred, I shall bring love
(17:13:17) Proteus: Where there is hatred I shall bring love
(17:13:25) Connor_Lidell: Where there is injury, pardon;
(17:13:41) Brenna: Where there is injury, pardon
(17:13:49) Proteus: Where there is injury, pardon
(17:14:02) Alexandre_Orion: Where there is injury, Pardon ;
(17:14:05) Connor_Lidell: Where there is doubt, faith;
(17:14:12) Alexandre_Orion: Where there is doubt, Faith ;
(17:14:12) Proteus: Where there is doubt, faith
(17:14:27) Brenna: Where there is doubt, faith
(17:14:30) Connor_Lidell: Where there is despair, hope;
(17:14:35) Alexandre_Orion: Where there is despair, Hope ;
(17:14:40) Proteus: Where there id despair, hope
(17:14:48) Brenna: Where there is despair, hope
(17:14:53) Connor_Lidell: Where there is darkness, light;
(17:14:57) Alexandre_Orion: Where there is darkness, Light ;
(17:14:59) Brenna: Where there is darkness, light
(17:15:15) Proteus: Where there is darkness, light
(17:15:18) Connor_Lidell: Where there is sadness, joy;
(17:15:25) Brenna: Where there is sadness, joy
(17:15:27) Proteus: Where there is sadness, joy
(17:15:42) Alexandre_Orion: Where there is darkness, Light ;
(17:15:46) Connor_Lidell: I am a Jedi.
(17:15:47) Alexandre_Orion: And where there is sadness, Joy.
(17:15:55) Alexandre_Orion: I am a Jedi.
(17:16:01) Proteus: I am a Jedi
(17:16:04) Brenna: I am a Jedi
(17:16:05) Desolous: i am a jedi
(17:16:08) Connor_Lidell: I shall never seek so much to be consoled as to console;
(17:16:11) Alexandre_Orion: I shall never seek so much to be consoled as to console ;
(17:16:25) Proteus: I shall never seek so much to be consoled as to console
(17:16:44) Brenna: I shall never seek so much to be consoled as to console
(17:17:07) Connor_Lidell: To be understood as to understand;
(17:17:11) Alexandre_Orion: To be understood as to understand ;
(17:17:19) Proteus: To be understood as to understand
(17:17:27) Brenna: To be understood as to understand
(17:17:40) Connor_Lidell: To be loved as to love;
(17:17:45) Alexandre_Orion: To be loved as to Love ;
(17:17:49) Proteus: To be loved as to love
(17:18:00) Brenna: To be loved as to love
(17:18:04) Connor_Lidell: For it is in giving that we receive;
(17:18:06) Alexandre_Orion: For it is in giving that we receive ;
(17:18:15) Proteus: For it is giving that we receive
(17:18:26) Brenna: For it is giving that we receive
(17:18:31) Connor_Lidell: It is in pardoning that we are pardoned;
(17:18:40) Proteus: It is in pardoning that we are pardoned
(17:18:44) Alexandre_Orion: It is in pardoning that we are pardoned ;
(17:18:49) Brenna: It is in pardoning that we are pardoned
(17:19:04) Connor_Lidell: And it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.
(17:19:09) Alexandre_Orion: And it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.
(17:19:13) Temple Bot: Akkarin logs into the Chat.
(17:19:15) Proteus: And it is in dying that we are born to eternal life
(17:19:24) Brenna: And it is in dying that we are born to eternal life
(17:19:28) Connor_Lidell: The Force is with me always, for I am a Jedi.
(17:19:35) Alexandre_Orion: The Force is with me always, for I am a Jedi.
(17:19:43) Brenna: The Force is with me always, for I am a Jedi.
(17:19:43) Proteus: The Force is with me always, for I am a Jedi
(17:19:43) Desolous: the force is with me always, for i am a jedi
(17:19:47) Connor_Lidell: Welcome, Akkarin.
(17:20:09) Connor_Lidell: I will now post the sermon and invite you to contemplate it for a couple of minutes as I post it.
(17:20:28) Connor_Lidell: I woke up this morning and thought to myself: “Gee, my life is average”. I remember, at one point as a teenager, that there was/is a website where one could go and write about how his/her life was just… blah. Normal. Nothing going on. I thought to myself: “I wonder if there is a large population in the 1st world that has an ‘average’ life.” I looked up the statistic. Turns out, though, there isn’t a statistic for People who are Average. I realized that this could only be because Average is personal for everybody. Each person has an internal scale of percentage that determines their Average from their Horrible from their Awesome. As Jedi, I think it’s high time we got around to finding our Awesome and decreasing our Average.
(17:20:52) Connor_Lidell: In order to find our Awesome, we need to define it. There’s only one problem, I can’t define it for you. This is a step that people tend to hate. They want to open a self-help book and be TOLD “Hey, this is what AWESOME is”. But, again, if there was a distinct AWESOME, then we would know and there would be a statistic. There isn’t. So we need to perform something called an Average Audit.
(17:21:16) Connor_Lidell: I got this idea from a man named Jon Acuff. His book, Start, is a brilliant book and a great way to begin finding your Awesome. It also goes into detail about how to develop that awesome in action-adventure style. I hope you read it since I’m NOT going to write a book for a sermon.
(17:21:39) Connor_Lidell: How do you perform an Average Audit?
(17:21:51) Connor_Lidell: First, take stock of the Seven Areas of Your Life: Physical, Spiritual, Financial, Family, Social, Intellectual, and Career. Write out in each of those areas how much you are AWESOME and how much you are Average. Don’t feel any pressure to make one look conventionally successful. If you are perfectly happy having one really amazing friend, and you don’t need nobody else *snap*, then feel free to put that you are Awesome in the social category. If you wish you had a better relationship with your father? You are average in the Family category.
(17:22:20) Connor_Lidell: Does any of this mean that you need to change? Yes. It does.
(17:22:32) Connor_Lidell: So many times, I see spiritually enlightened people who praise contentment over hard work. They say: “why work so hard? Why can’t you be happy with what you’ve got?”
(17:22:50) Connor_Lidell: I am happy with what I’ve got. I have the capacity to grow and change. THAT makes me happy more than most things. I am content in the land of changing. Contentment isn’t about staying still as a rock in the midst of a storm. It doesn’t mean you have to stay frozen forever and live like a hippy in a jungle. It doesn’t mean you have to resign to be homeless. It doesn’t mean you have to give up a high paying executive job for a minister position. It means you constantly realize more and more what makes you happy, and you are content to follow it. If, for some reason, you end up CEO of Google and you realize one day that you are meant to guide in a church… then sure, give it some good thought, try it out, and see if giving up money for happiness is worth it. (I’ll give you a hint, if it truly brings you happiness, it’s worth it).
(17:23:26) Connor_Lidell: Life has a way of guiding you to your happiness in one way or another. It is up to you to recognize those signs and to grab hold. This is why we do the Average Audit.
(17:23:43) Connor_Lidell: Once you’ve found your average, then ask yourself: What debts are holding me back? What will it take to make this area AWESOME? What role models can I follow and research? What assets do I already have that will make this jump to AWESOME easier?
(17:24:01) Connor_Lidell: It’s ok to be unrealistic. It’s ok to be afraid. To put BIG thoughts on the paper. Maybe if you’re a musician, you want to meet John Williams. That’s HUGE, especially if you live in Russia. It would take SO MUCH effort to do it. But, maybe if you let yourself dream like that, you might find your true passions buried beneath the social conditioning of reality. Maybe, just maybe, you’ll realize you want to write film music… and you’ve been a lawyer for 30 years.
(17:24:26) Connor_Lidell: Take your Average Audited Areas, and list out: What is the first step to making one of these areas Awesome?
(17:24:34) Connor_Lidell: Do it.
(17:24:40) Connor_Lidell: Write on a post-it-note: “Some is better than None”. And, put that post-it-note EVERYWHERE. On your alarm clock. Your iPhone. Make a T-shirt. Put it on a billboard. I don’t care. But make sure you see it every day. Make sure you remember that taking the first step is the hardest.
(17:24:54) Connor_Lidell: It’s so freaking cheesy, but BELIEVE in those wild, unrealistic dreams. Why? Because underneath all that dreaming? Watching Dancing with the Stars every night? Reading Buddhism books every day? Running two miles every day just to feel the wind in your face?
(17:25:08) Connor_Lidell: Those are all notices from life: “HEY, your Awesome is waiting right outside this door… Answer the door. Please.”
(17:25:17) Connor_Lidell: May the Force be with you.
(17:25:32) Alexandre_Orion: and also with you ...
(17:25:37) Brenna: And with you
(17:25:41) Proteus: and also with you
(17:26:01) Connor_Lidell: Now let us conclude the service with music and a blessing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L​es39aIKbzE – Mahler, Symphony 5 – Adagietto.
(17:26:09) Connor_Lidell: The Force is with you.
(17:26:19) Alexandre_Orion: :)
(17:26:20) Connor_Lidell: The Spirit is in you.
(17:26:26) Connor_Lidell: The Life is out you.
(17:26:33) Connor_Lidell: The Breath connects it all.
(17:26:40) Connor_Lidell: One direction. Forward. One life. Forward.
(17:26:49) Connor_Lidell: May peace bring you contentment.
(17:26:56) Connor_Lidell: May contentment bring you direction.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi