• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
10 years 3 weeks ago #142826 by Brenna
Replied by Brenna on topic Raising funds for TotJO

Drexid wrote: The only "marketing" we should do is in respects to what we can help with other people, meditation , life perspectives, etc.

Well, that is what we "do" as a temple so it would make sense that it is what we would market ourselves as doing.

People would be well annoyed if we marketed that we offer free pony rides only to discover that we don't! (note, despite the other thread, we still have no pony's..)

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 3 weeks ago #142837 by
Replied by on topic Raising funds for TotJO
Since Totjo already has a PayPal account, it would be easy to create a page listing items up for sale and putting a buy now button linked to it. Instructions for that can be found here: https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/get-started/add-to-cart-button

As to how the process of paying both artist and Totjo for the item, I found a website that already does something similar. You can read the guidelines on this site:
http://www.made4aid.org/index.php?p=1_17_4-Guidelines-for-donating-to-made4aid-Etsy

Steamboat, I wasn't suggesting the devaluation of art. I do several odd jobs for those in need without ever accepting payment. I don't give away all my free time, and from time to time I give away materials that cost me money as well but nothing that will cause a dent in my pocketbook. I do this because I care about the people I help and in doing so I find that I get something far better than I imagined. Charity, just like being thankful I feel are integral to happiness. But without those who give we have less opportunities to thank and vice versa. I hope that clarifies my intent. I don't think anyone here wants anyone to suffer because they donate to much time or money. I also don't beleive in giving to someone out of pity or embarrasment. When it's from love, you'll find that the gifts you get in return are priceless.

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #142852 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic Raising funds for TotJO

Brenna wrote: (note, despite the other thread, we still have no pony's..)

Lame. I propose that be a budgetary priority in 2014.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #142865 by Kit
Replied by Kit on topic Raising funds for TotJO

Storge wrote: ..., I wasn't suggesting the devaluation of art. I do several odd jobs for those in need without ever accepting payment. I don't give away all my free time, and from time to time I give away materials that cost me money as well but nothing that will cause a dent in my pocketbook. I do this because I care about the people I help and in doing so I find that I get something far better than I imagined. Charity, just like being thankful I feel are integral to happiness. But without those who give we have less opportunities to thank and vice versa. I hope that clarifies my intent. I don't think anyone here wants anyone to suffer because they donate to much time or money. I also don't beleive in giving to someone out of pity or embarrasment. When it's from love, you'll find that the gifts you get in return are priceless.

Storage, I do a lot of volunteer work in my community. Now, I don't mind making things for the occasional raffle or auction, but as a sustainable sale of items, I don't have the time or attention span to do that. Especially not since I'm pregnant and possibly (hopefully this time) moving half way across the states lol.

But now that I'm thinking about it, what about a raffle or auction? I've got some small wooden plaques sitting around and a little keep-sake box. I can do some wood burning and staining (I think I can still use stains...I'll have to check...most of the, are water based although my favorite is oil based and they don't want me messing with that...) for an item, and can ship out to the winner from here. Something like that I would just ask for the price of shipping for my work. But something like that would be a very occasional thing. Kind of a "when the mood takes me" to make something lol. The raffle would have to be handled by someone who can see the paypal page. I'm sure we could easily run the auction off of a TOTJO made eBay.

Just a few more thoughts, I know our squadron does raffles to raise money and usually it's a lot of fun.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Jestor

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi