light sabers and martale arts

Moderators: Desolous, tzb

light sabers and martale arts 03 Mar 2011 19:51 #37013

• spaceace
in my room i have quite the lightsbaer collection as i use that term looseley for they are on toys and one prop replica. i also own one sword but i want to know if their is anyone in ontario canada u can tell me were their might be a kendo school. so that i can get more in touch with that part of my self. i will be buying my own kendo stick soon its just the armour is going take me some time to find. and as for the opened hand im loking at takeing kung fu as my opend hand martial arts.

Re:light sabers and martale arts 08 Mar 2011 06:46 #37107

Just for information ;)

In Kendo there are no sticks, if you take up the art you will be using Bamboo Shinai With a Tsuba or a Bokken you may also need a Keokogi and Hakama .

Also if you are going to be practicing Kendo why not look into a Japanese open handed Martial Art i.e. Tai Jutsu as you may find it will go hand in hand with your Kendo.

I wish you luck in your training and hope you find a Sensei that will guide you on your pathway.

MTFBWY

Re:light sabers and martale arts 09 Mar 2011 07:59 #37137

• Jestor
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Councillor
  • Bishop
  • ID: 3682
As Keith (I was going to say Master Mewes as a sign if respect in Martial Arts, but as you are not yet a Master here st TOTJO, I did not want to confuse other members, but know I do have great respect.... ;)....) was suggesting, make sure you check all martial arts available to you in your area...

Some may fit better, than others... I would follow Keith's advice... I have limited knowledge in other styles... I am just a TKD practioner....

Investigate all you can before making a decision...

Good Luck ...
Rite: PureLand
Master: Master Jasper_Ward
Graduated Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Edan, Knight Brenna, Senior Knight Firewolf
Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Elizabeth, Llama Su, Trisskar

Life is just a party, and parties weren't made to last..." ~1999 by Prince~

"Questions and answers, sometimes there are no answers and sometimes the answer is yet more questions." ~Elizabeth~

"I don't have any answers, only more questions..." ~me~

Re:light sabers and martale arts 27 Mar 2011 01:17 #37628

• Natalia
Well spaceace, i dont know of any schools in ontario but i happen to live in alberta and have 11 years experiance in various hand weaopons such as swords but more in staffs. Perhaps in the summer i can visit or we can just set up webcam?

Re:light sabers and martale arts 27 Mar 2011 02:01 #37630

Greetings Each

Well Keith Renshi is my Master as such but not here..and I am confused..all the time lol.

Totally agree with Keith Renshi and Master Jester. All I would add is, Please try to find a club that has traditional ethics and etiquette.

Yours in the spirit of Budo

Mike
Yours in the Spirit of Budo

Mike

I am everything, nothing and all that is in between, I am, KI :)

Re:light sabers and martale arts 30 Mar 2011 04:18 #37719

Jestor wrote:
As Keith (I was going to say Master Mewes as a sign if respect in Martial Arts, but as you are not yet a Master here st TOTJO, I did not want to confuse other members, but know I do have great respect.... ;)....) was suggesting, make sure you check all martial arts available to you in your area...

Master Jester,

Thank you for your kind and respectful words.

You have my full respect as a Master and Martial Artist.

I look forward to talking with you again soon .

MTFBWY
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • the IP Purpose (Last post by tzb)
    • To open our eyes to some of the fundamental themes of Jediism To begin to consider our own perspective on the Force To learn to be members of this community To build a deeper understanding of our foundational mythology and symbolism To demonstrate to prospective teaching masters who we are and how we think To learn To grow To build a shared base of understanding with all others here at the Temple Amongst other things :)
    • Momento Mori (Last post by Rosalyn J)
    • Honestly, I am afraid of death. I like to think that I am not, but I am still young enough to view myself with a hint of invincibility, but still old enough to know that it is just a hint. I've written about it here as a starting point, as an indication that I am starting to consider it as an eventuality for me. But when it does occupy my thoughts, I often feel a sense of grief that I have wasted my time, or regrets that I have not gone further and done more. Even so, this doesn't really change my behavior in the long run. Case and point is that I have stopped writing the book I committed to. I don't know.
    • What I Appreciate About You! (Last post by Kit)
    • Quote: Alexandre, your posts are like rare gems, and are always incredibly thoughtful, respectful, and carry a hefty amount of wisdom. I always look forward to reading your thoughts, and your presence is an incredibly calming and inspirational one here on our humble message boards. I aspire to be someone as well studied, and gifted with the written (and spoken) word as yourself! We missed Cayce!! Cayce, we haven't talked much but I really appreciate your offer of artwork services. Your work is professional and your attention to detail is on point! ----- Ok! skip me, continue with Ros :D
    • Apology (Last post by OB1Shinobi)
    • honestly, you should apologize for constantly making disparaging generalizations about white people and american people promoting bigotry on a forum dedicated to promoting unity and compassion? yeah, apologize for THAT
    • I Am (Last post by SecondVariation)
    • I am a(n): 1. Engineer 2. Graduate student 3. Piano teacher 4. Gamer 5. Canadian Part 2. 1. I am an engineer, but I don't know how to fix cars. (for people who may argue that this isn't a stereotype of engineers, if you ask the average grade 5 student what an engineer does, the answer is almost always "he fixes cars".) 2. I am a graduate student, but I don't eat instant ramen every day. 3. I am a piano teacher, but I am terrible at remembering music history. Styles of composers, fine, but who composed that particular piece? That's what the internet is for! 4. I am a gamer, but I've never played Catan (I know...) 5. I am Canadian, but I only watch hockey during the olympics or the IIHF World Junior Championships. Thanks Kit, this is fun!
    • IP discussion area (Last post by Jestor)
    • Quote: Does a person really need to be a knight to "give back" or serve the Temple? No, of course not,lol... Merely trying to answer this: Quote: So if I complete the IP(half way through it now) and wanted to do an apprenticeship for the sake of doing an apprenticeship and growing as an individual, but not proceed to a knight rank as I do not have the time to commit to the tasks required of a knight, is that a thing? Can it be a thing? and we kinda went off on a tangent a bit, :)
    • Yoga Camp (Last post by Edan)
    • Yoga Camp - Day 26 - 'I Attract' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSNwb8VWYXs&list=PLui6Eyny-Uzx5BRNB2_Kvycrn5h9OsaHC&index=27 Not many days left! Hope your yoga is going all ok :)
    • The Grateful Thread (Last post by Edan)
    • I am grateful that, beyond the opacity of the path I seem to have chosen, I have found purpose. I just needed to let my eyes adjust for a bit to the dark :)
    • Purpose of joining the Clergy (Last post by carlos.martinez3)
    • Manu, my man! Great question. In this Temple, I would hope the longer you stay the more your gonna wanna know. I can only speak for my self and I am only speaking to you, it is up to the individual, u, how far how long and how much you a re willing to do. I have not regretted any choice to involve my self in this place. None. Difficulty and perfection is never demanded nor expected here. Don't try lolj/k. Here the clergy is very different. You can " collar up " , robe out or even pick tour own identification to mesh with or stand out..its all on you. LITERALLY. Where you take it is up to you. Seminary can be classes and reports or, searching and finding and defining and recreation. For me my purpose was evident. BUILD. Its different for every one. Seek and you will find. The fact that it's a spark says a lot friend. Looking forward to seeing where this goes.... with you Manu! I have an open door policy if u ever need. We are never alone in this place!
    • Group Assignment - The School Of Life (Last post by Cabur Senaar)
    • An assignment for all interested. I will be doing it myself. Please post all responses in this thread. * Choose a video from The School of Life Channel that you believe has something to contribute to your Path and training. * Post the video below and summarize it to demonstrate comprehension. * Why did you choose this one? * What elements from this video can you adopt in order to enrich and improve your Path and personal practice? I look forward to your work! :lol:
    • I have a very good question! (Last post by Rickie)
    • Quote: Has anyone of the Temple of the Jedi Order - Specifically a Jedi turned to the Darkside? You could try to discuss this here www.forceacademy.co.uk/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=9450 It's a little rough and tumbled but I believe they have some there that were once (and some still are) here. It's an interesting and thought provoking place.
    • Is the world getting worse than ever? (Last post by Khaos)
    • I do think that, while the world is not worse than ever, people are more pessimistic than ever. Usually due to there information diet. Not to say one should remain ignorant of bad things that go on, but at the same time, I think people give it more exposure than anything positive that may be out there. Lets be honest, how many " Are you sensing something bad/disturbance in the Force" or something of the like will you find in this one web forum were you so inclined? Which, predicting something vague, either bad or good, will usually be validated in some way, if one is willing to look. Still, people are looking for the next Alderaan, or more realistically, 9/11, over anything even remotely positive.
    • Reminder: TOTJO is global, not just American (Last post by Senan)
    • Basing one's opinion of anything on broad generalizations is convenient and easy, but it also displays a lack of effort, a lack of knowledge and a clear misunderstanding of how stereotypes are perpetuated. As a citizen of the U.S., am I to assume that all Australians are like "Crocodile Dundee"? Do all Japanese love Hello Kitty? Are Russians all alcoholics? Are all Polish people stupid? If it helps to illustrate my point, I am a citizen of the U.S.A born and raised in Southern California. If you understand the history and geography of this area, you would know that it is incorrect to stereotype me as a "Yank". It is actually an offensive term to many here on the West Coast or in the Southern U.S. California is not Alaska, nor is it Alabama or New York, just as Japan is not Korea, nor is it China or Vietnam. English are not Irish are not Welsh are not Scottish, and none of the individuals identifying as any of those should be lumped in with every other who identifies that way. If you wish to generalize about all "Americans", understand that you are welcoming others to generalize about you as well. As a Southern California native, I much more closely identify with Hispanic culture. I am not in the military and I do not "hate Texas". I did not vote for George W. Bush, but that shouldn't matter anyway. Get to know me, and then you may judge me however you wish. I will make an effort to do the same for anyone else, but it isn't made easy when I am summarily judged based on a map rather than who I am.

There are 213 visitors, 6 guests and 43 members online (2  in chat): Akkarin, Br. John, Alethea Thompson, Jestor, Manu, Wescli Wardest, Proteus, V-Tog, Reacher, rugadd, Alexandre Orion, Rosalyn J, PatrickB, Khaos, Llama Su, Kit, elizabeth, Avalonslight, tzb, Cabur Senaar, Goken, Loudzoo, Atticus, Adi, Tellahane, Vigebo, Jack.Troutman, MadHatter, MartaLina, Brick, Kyrin Wyldstar, Snowy Aftermath, Rex, One Creed, sNe1a, SecondVariation, Jamie Kay, WillowC, Leah Starspectre, Tascha, Luce Stellare, Broc195, Blitz7737, Jutus.

Follow Us