light sabers and martale arts

Moderators: Desolous, Reliah, Edan

light sabers and martale arts 03 Mar 2011 19:51 #37013

in my room i have quite the lightsbaer collection as i use that term looseley for they are on toys and one prop replica. i also own one sword but i want to know if their is anyone in ontario canada u can tell me were their might be a kendo school. so that i can get more in touch with that part of my self. i will be buying my own kendo stick soon its just the armour is going take me some time to find. and as for the opened hand im loking at takeing kung fu as my opend hand martial arts.

Re:light sabers and martale arts 08 Mar 2011 06:46 #37107

Just for information ;)

In Kendo there are no sticks, if you take up the art you will be using Bamboo Shinai With a Tsuba or a Bokken you may also need a Keokogi and Hakama .

Also if you are going to be practicing Kendo why not look into a Japanese open handed Martial Art i.e. Tai Jutsu as you may find it will go hand in hand with your Kendo.

I wish you luck in your training and hope you find a Sensei that will guide you on your pathway.

MTFBWY

Re:light sabers and martale arts 09 Mar 2011 07:59 #37137

• Jestor
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Councillor
  • Bishop
  • ID: 3682
As Keith (I was going to say Master Mewes as a sign if respect in Martial Arts, but as you are not yet a Master here st TOTJO, I did not want to confuse other members, but know I do have great respect.... ;)....) was suggesting, make sure you check all martial arts available to you in your area...

Some may fit better, than others... I would follow Keith's advice... I have limited knowledge in other styles... I am just a TKD practioner....

Investigate all you can before making a decision...

Good Luck ...
Rite: PureLand
Master: Master Jasper_Ward
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Elizabeth, Llama Su, Triskar
Liz Gilbert: In the end, I've come to believe in something I call "The Physics of the Quest." A force in nature governed by laws as real as the laws of gravity. The rule of Quest Physics goes something like this: If you're brave enough to leave behind everything familiar and comforting, which can be anything from your house to bitter, old resentments, and set out on a truth-seeking journey, either externally or internally, and if you are truly willing to regard everything that happens to you on that journey as a clue and if you accept everyone you meet along the way as a teacher and if you are prepared, most of all, to face and forgive some very difficult realities about yourself, then the truth will not be withheld from you. ~Eat, Pray, Love~

Bella Swan: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age. And at a certain age, the child is grown and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." ~Twilight~

Re:light sabers and martale arts 27 Mar 2011 01:17 #37628

Well spaceace, i dont know of any schools in ontario but i happen to live in alberta and have 11 years experiance in various hand weaopons such as swords but more in staffs. Perhaps in the summer i can visit or we can just set up webcam?

Re:light sabers and martale arts 27 Mar 2011 02:01 #37630

Greetings Each

Well Keith Renshi is my Master as such but not here..and I am confused..all the time lol.

Totally agree with Keith Renshi and Master Jester. All I would add is, Please try to find a club that has traditional ethics and etiquette.

Yours in the spirit of Budo

Mike
Yours in the Spirit of Budo

Mike

I am everything, nothing and all that is in between, I am, KI :)

Re:light sabers and martale arts 30 Mar 2011 04:18 #37719

Jestor wrote:
As Keith (I was going to say Master Mewes as a sign if respect in Martial Arts, but as you are not yet a Master here st TOTJO, I did not want to confuse other members, but know I do have great respect.... ;)....) was suggesting, make sure you check all martial arts available to you in your area...

Master Jester,

Thank you for your kind and respectful words.

You have my full respect as a Master and Martial Artist.

I look forward to talking with you again soon .

MTFBWY
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • Jedi Self-Sufficiency thread (Last post by Aspen Evenstaad)
    • Awesome! I'm so excited to learn about this group. I too am an apartment dweller, but my dream is to live self-sufficiently in a cabin in the woods... Likely will end up somewhere in between, but it's great to learn from others with similar interests!
    • Looking at the Present Moment as a loved one (Last post by MartaLina)
    • Quote: LOL Nice! Actually for me the present moment has always been a thing of great comfort. Especially when I'm worried about something in the future. Whether I'm thinking about a bill that needs to be paid or a public engagement or deadline I need to meet I can always come back to the present moment and take solace in the fact that at least those things I'm worried about are not happening "right now" so there is no need to worry about them until later, and I can relax... Its funny , i was discussing this with my daughter and i made her aware of the Now and she could not stop crying because she goes back and forth and cant stop worrying. But we are here and now, she will not make school , ok , we ll look for a job , i understand , but NOw its warm and cozy and we are taken care of ;)
    • Robes and Sabers (Last post by Trisskar)
    • Quote: I think we are getting into a discussion over semantics with Star Wars as inspiration vs source. Personally I feel the real trouble is the belief that a "Source" is a constant :) Its not....Just because something serves as a source dosn't mean it was the only one, or that it was the leading one. Just that it had a key role to play in the final outcome. Which is the fact that we call ourselves Jedi, practice and serve in the Force, and follow the Jedi Code. All of which are without any debate. Fiction. Star Wars. And Role Playing (In fact the Jedi Code is from a Role Playing guidebook for Tabletop Role Playing) That dosn't mean there isn't other sources as well. Even the very first Jediism community said: "It shares many themes embraced in Hinduism, Confucionism, Buddhism, Gnosticism, Stoicism, Catholicism, Taoism, Shinto, Modern Mysticism, the Way of the Shaolin Monks, the Knight's Code of Chivalry and the Samurai Warriors." All of which are "Sources" It is my belief that if you argue it long enough you can find ANYTHING is connected with EVERYTHING. What is important is the "Keys" that we use. The Name (Jedi) The Practice (The Force) And the Laws (The Jedi Code) The rest are just things the members and leaders added into it for eleven years :) Just my thoughts anyways. :) *bows* Edit: And I have said my peace :) I will stop de-railing! Sorry!!! Good conversation! Thank you everyone!
    • From time to time a poem (Last post by Lightstrider)
    • In the shuffling madness Of the locomotive breath, Runs the all, time loser, Headlong to his death. He feels the piston scraping Steam breaking on his brow Old Charlie stole the handle and The train it won't stop going No way to slow down. - Jethro Tull
    • Martial art and weapon of choice? (Last post by Snowy Aftermath)
    • I'm a 3rd degree blackbelt in taekwondo (NOT Olympic style), but I desperately want to learn wushu (although I think my time has passed). It is the most beautiful art I have ever laid eyes on. How I wish there were a school locally that I could get to/afford. What I wouldn't give to be 30 years younger with the same desire!
    • Workout Check-In Thread (Last post by Squint)
    • I woke up early and actually exercised! 10x Wall Extension 10x Cat-Camels 10x Scapular Shrugs 10x Push-ups 20x Leg lifts
    • Team D - 100 days of discipline (Last post by Squint)
    • Wise words, Alexandre Orion, thank you! I got up super early this morning for some reason, I'm going to use it to be productive. Day 40 - Complete!
    • Copyright and the IP (split from original material... (Last post by Rickie)
    • Quote: Quote: What good is coming out of all this? Close the thread. While the issue may seem unimportant to you, .... That isn't my concern. I said my piece and have stayed out of the way. My point is when threads go into spirals, tangents and stubborn repetitive posts it doesn't look good for this place. Quote: I don't mind the conversations, per se, but by this thing being beat to death (I'm helping too, I know), it increases the chances of a quicker termination that I hope for.... I don't think we differ so much on this my friend. :) Peace
    • Saber Flourish Gif (Last post by Jestor)
    • I've had no weapons training, but, I've often though that "flourishes" (is that a word?) Help to reset the weapon to a "ready position... Like, yes, you could put the gun in your holster, or you could give it a twirl and let the barrel catch on the leather, and let it seat itself.... Same with swords, while the first GIF showed you swinging it on both sides of your body, when its across your body in the downward swing, with force behind it, it could parry an overhead swing from an opponent, right? Just like boxing, being in motion allows for different responses... A "sword down left side blocks opponents left downstrike, and down right-side-body blocks right down strike" Conversely, when sword is raised in upward coming down position, it sets up for blocks for "upper cut" style attacks.... Always been my thinking, lol... Still, neat to watch Streen, thanks!

There are 242 visitors, 15 guests and 46 members online (8  in chat): Akkarin, Alethea Thompson, Firewolf, Jestor, Manu, J_Roz, Trisskar, Opie Macleod, Dechlain, Connor L., Adhara, Darren, Desolous, Proteus, V-Tog, Alexandre Orion, Alan, Rickie, Kit, Kohadre, Edan, Avalonslight, tzb, Zenchi, carlos.martinez3, Cabur Senaar, Goken, Aqua, Tellahane, Bareus, Jamho Thaber, Ke JinnDakken, Jack.Troutman, MartaLina, Carli, Brick, Reserved Sanity, HaydenC, cmwatts, nidem, Amandabonn, Kyrin Wyldstar, Snowy Aftermath, Cenrus Kuno, Carina, Aspen Evenstaad, One Creed, Riyuma, Rob Bass, FAT, Gina, Baelethir, Nophatus, homb-ray, EyesIS, xindizaoh, Willie G, Kaio, Razzer.

Follow Us