Face Book Blog

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 9 months ago #16716 by
Face Book Blog was created by
I got this from a facebook blog, I could copy n paste the replies but that spoil the fun, so lets see who has what to say here.

I am on facebook myself and a member of

Addicted to Star Wars
The unofficial Star Wars Fan Community (its an application within facebook, great fun) anyway, enough advertising, here is the blog.

The general argument that has cropped up over the past few years focuses around the question of whether or not the Expanded Universe, namely the books, games, and comics, are considered to be part of Star Wars. Many fans of the movies, Episodes I-VI, believe that the Expanded Universe is just that - expanded - and is an extension of the story that George Lucas created for our enjoyment.

However, the other side of the argument takes the approach that the EU is not correct and therefore should not be considered a factual part of 'Star Wars' proper. Certain facts back this up, such as inconsistencies between the books that follow Return of the Jedi and some of the information released in Episodes I-III. Such examples include the creation of the Death Star. In the books by Kevin J. Anderson (The Jedi Academy Trilogy & Darksaber), it is stated that the Death Star was designed by a team of scientists in a secret research facility deep inside the Maw. Bevel Lemelisk was the supposed designer, but in Episode II we are shown by Lucas that the original plans came from the Seperatists, brought to Palpatine by Count Dooku.

While both sides have valid arguments, it holds true that George Lucas did authorize the writing of the plethora of books that exist on the Star Wars universe. They have given us a vast and expansive look at what the future of the peoples, ships, empires, organizations, and concepts that George Lucas created are. While there are some inconsistencies, they are minimal in most aspects.

For some, myself included, there are a number of concepts and books themselves that just do not fit in, though they are well written. This writer had an intense dislike of the New Jedi Order, but upon further consideration, I found myself intrigued by something new infused into a Star Wars universe that I had a love of.

Characters, organizations, concepts, and new ships and technology add flavor and more imagination into a universe ripe with potential. Whether you are a fan of the Expanded Universe or an avid opponent of it, it is clear that the EU is in and of itself, a unique aspect of Star Wars fandom.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 9 months ago #16730 by
Replied by on topic Re:Face Book Blog
I have one of the expanded universe of Star Wars sitting on my bookshelf. I bought this book about roughly 10 years ago. And yes it talks about the Death Star being built by a team of scientist in the Maws Cluster. This book was published before the episodes 1-3 were even being made. I would like to purchase the conpendium expanded universe for I understand certain changes have been made to encompass all the movies to this point.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi