5-08 Review: Cloak of Deception

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 11 months ago #14946 by
After seeing how much I like to do this job, and the pages upon pages I have written, I am changing things. Reviews will be actual reviews. New concept, I know. I just decided to take it from the Wookieepedia guys, and then try to rouse a debate about the books, and so forth. I will continue to put excerpts from the books up, they have some great lines from time to time.

Cloak of Deception is told in four parts: Dorvalla, Coruscant, The Outlying Systems, and The Inner Circle.

Shortly before the Battle of Naboo (33 BBY), Darth Sidious is in the middle of his plans. As Senator Palpatine, he manipulates Supreme Chancellor Valorum and other senators. As the Sith Master, he begins to slowly put the Neimoidians and the Trade Federation in position for his blockade of Naboo.

A terrorist group known as the Nebula Front threatens the activities of the Trade Federation. They are protesting the actions of the group and will resort to any means necessary to disrupt the Trade Federation. They have hired Captain Arwen Cohl to carry out terrorist acts against their business, including robbing a Trade Federation ship of aurodium ingots, worth billions. However, Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan Kenobi are hot on the trail of the terrorists. Though Cohl escapes, he is forced to crash-land and all but him and two of his crew members perish. He later flees in his ship, the Hawk-Bat.

Fearing more trouble, the Trade Federation petitions the Galactic Senate to allow them to increase their number of droid fighters, battle droids, and other defenses. Valorum considers this, but only if he can tax some of the trade routes they hold (on advice from Palpatine). This sparks a debate and a summit on Eriadu is scheduled to be held on the matter.

Taking extreme measures, the Nebula Front sets plans in motion to assassinate Supreme Chancellor Valorum at the summit to prevent the taxation. Cohl has been hired by a mysterious being known only as Havac. He travels throughout the Outer Rim, hiring several experienced assassins. Unknown to him however, Havac (secretly in league with Darth Sidious) has another plan. Meanwhile, the Jedi Council, along with Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan, steps in to track down Captain Cohl and the would-be assassins.

On Eriadu, Cohl dispatches his helpers throughout the capital city. He is ambushed by Havac after realizing the true target. Most of the assassins are captured by the Jedi outside the summit building, but one remains inside. A sniper, he has been given the order to fire at, but miss, Valorum. The Jedi find Cohl and his partner Boiny, who, wounded, agrees to help them. They discover the sniper a second too late, but are surprised when he misses Valorum. Then Cohl remembers the true intent of Havac: to kill the non-Neimoidian members of the Trade Federation. Cohl tackles Havac and kills him, though he and Boiny are mortally wounded in the attempt. Suddenly, the battle droid rises and draws its blaster. With a shield activated for safety, the members of the Trade Federation are trapped. The droid kills them all while the crowd watches, stunned. In the ensuing shock, the bill to tax is passed by the Senate. Later, the leading members of the Federation are named. They are all Neimoidians. Darth Sidious later meets Nute Gunray on the bridge of his ship, suggesting they invade Naboo for revenge against Palpatine, who helped pass the bill. Little do they know that it is just part of the Sith Lord's plan for control of the galaxy.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 11 months ago #14947 by
The author was James Luceno, he is one of the best EU writers. He seems to generally be a big fan, and likes to stick close to the original Lucas plot lines.

The book was really cool to see more of how Qui Gon and Obi Wan interact with each other. The captain Cohl character had some potential, but who knows if we'll see him again. Also, it was good to see several Jedi in the same storyline, you don't get that enough.

Great book, the parts about the Jedi are best. The other parts are full of political intrigue. Mainly Palpatine securing his hold on the galaxy.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 11 months ago #14949 by
Excerpt: Page 224

\"Master did we take the right action on Asmeru?\" ObiWan asked, breaking a prolonged silence. \"Could the violence have been avoided, as Master Yaddle wished?\"
\"What can be avoided, whose end is purposed by the Force?\"
ObiWan fell silent for another long moment. \"Is it dangerous to give too much thought to the dark side?\"
\" I keep my gaze fixed on the light, Padawan. But to answer your question: Thought and action are very different things.\"
\"But how can we be certain our thoughts don't color our actions? The path we walk is at times narrow.\"
Qui-Gon gazed out the viewport while he spoke. \"On distant Generis stands an especially dark, dense, and near impenetrable growth of sallap trees. For many generations it was necessary to travel a long distance around the forest to reach the glorious deep-water lake on the far sdie. But then a Sith Lord thought to blaze a trail directly through the trees, in the hope of providing a quicker route to the lake.
\"As you might imagine, only a few have taken both routes and lived to tell of their experiences. But all agree that while the path through that dark wood is shorter, it actually fails to arrive at the lake. Whereas the path that skirts the forest, though long and arduous, not only arrives at the shore, but is, in itself, a destination.\"
Without glancing at ObiWan, Qui Gon asked, \"On Asmeru, did you venture into that dark wood, or did you remain in the light, with the Force as your companion and ally?\"
\"I had no destination in mind, other than to follow where the Force led me.\"
\"Then you have the answer.\" Qui-Gon replied.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 11 months ago #14950 by
Is it okay to post?

It seems like a good read. I really wish I had money to spend on books.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 11 months ago #14962 by
I think you might could find it as a PDF somewhere through google. I'll check and get back with you. Yes it is ok to post here, that's what it's all about.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 11 months ago #14963 by
Here is a site that has the book in text or PDF download.

http://ebookhood.com/1526-cloak-of-deception

I'm gonna have to start looking for these and giving the link. Some of these are great. I think we have a few in the 'We sell' forum. Cuore was putting them up, but I don't know if he has them all. If so I'll change mine over and post em.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi