Darth Sidious

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 months ago #312336 by
Darth Sidious was created by
Pro's & Con's, Is Darth Sidious Sidious evil?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #312337 by
Replied by on topic Darth Sidious
No, because a different point of view isn't evil.

If only his father supported his speeder bike passion.

EDIT: I'll elaborate. Sheev had a passion for speeder bikes. His father wouldn't allow it, so he ended up buying books on Sith Philosophy and learned he was Force sensitive. The Jedi never found out, so he grew in power as a hobby of sorts. He would, of course, use this power to further his own goals and eventually became Emperor.

Then there is the Death Star. He didn't make it for the sole purpose of defeating the rebellion or to instil fear into his subjects, but also to combat an incoming threat he foresaw. It had two purposes, but the end goal was to protect his Empire.
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 months ago #312347 by
Of course he is because Star Wars is a story of Good vs Evil and in this story Sidious is the bad guy, the antagonist.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 months ago #312350 by

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: Of course he is because Star Wars is a story of Good vs Evil and in this story Sidious is the bad guy, the antagonist.

An element of good storytelling is to have a villain that is the hero of their own story. Its the clash of ideals that separates Hero from Villain.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #312351 by

Arisaig wrote:

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: Of course he is because Star Wars is a story of Good vs Evil and in this story Sidious is the bad guy, the antagonist.

An element of good storytelling is to have a villain that is the hero of their own story. Its the clash of ideals that separates Hero from Villain.

I always found Lucas to one dimensional for such subtly. However what Disney is doing with the Franchise now depicts that in spades!
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 months ago #312359 by

Arisaig wrote: No, because a different point of view isn't evil.

EDIT: I'll elaborate. Sheev had a passion for speeder bikes. His father wouldn't allow it, so he ended up buying books on Sith Philosophy and learned he was Force sensitive. The Jedi never found out, so he grew in power as a hobby of sorts. He would, of course, use this power to further his own goals and eventually became Emperor.

Then there is the Death Star. He didn't make it for the sole purpose of defeating the rebellion or to instil fear into his subjects, but also to combat an incoming threat he foresaw. It had two purposes, but the end goal was to protect his Empire.

What about Operation Cinder? His contingency was in no way viewable as good, as far as I can tell.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 months ago #312368 by

JLSpinner wrote:

Arisaig wrote: No, because a different point of view isn't evil.

What about Operation Cinder? His contingency was in no way viewable as good, as far as I can tell.

For that, I'd have to go to old age, perhaps a touch of madness. Those aren't necessarily his fault, I imagine a lifetime of thwarting assassination attempts on your life would drive one a bit batty, if not insane. Sometimes better to die a hero than live long enough to see yourself become a villain. But I never doubt for a second that he was the good guy in his story. Yes, Operation Cinder was horrific, but imagine the ravings of a man clutching to sanity hoping to punish those that he deemed part of the problem that led to his death.

More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #312372 by Zenchi
Replied by Zenchi on topic Darth Sidious
Loved Sheev Palpatine, is one of my all time favorites! The depth that James Luceno gave this character in Darth Plagueis was unbelievably great!

Warning: Spoiler!

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by Zenchi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ,

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 months ago #312404 by
Lets see:

He hides in disguise among good and kind people lying and manipulating himself into a powerful position. He leverages that position to gain more power with more deceit, manipulation and misinformation. He lies, manipulates and distorts apprentices to do his dirty work and has them killed when someone better comes along. Lies and manipulates information to appears to be a victim of the evil he created. He attempts genocide of the people that are a threat to his lust for power and control of the universe. He used the most powerful weapon of it's time to intimidate and subordinate the galaxy and it's populations.. He kills or has killed billions of people. He wants the ultimate uninhibited power to control the galaxy at any cost to those around him.

I think that he is evil!

More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #312406 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic Darth Sidious
People who deceive, manipulate, and exploit those that trust them and betray those who are loyal to them are the bad guys.

People are complicated.
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: , Kobos

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi